Languages?

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
scottS4
Veteran Member

Languages?

Post by scottS4 » 15 Jan 2013, 06:39

This year I got bitten by the language bug, and have become really interested in language learning and becoming a "polyglot," (someone who speaks multiple languages.) I've been taking german classes at university this year, and have also re-taught myself all the spanish that I learned in highschool. I've also dabbled in a little brazilian portuguese, but only basic phrases so far.

Anyone here speak another language? I know that panchester speaks spanish, and I recall rome_leader saying he spoke some french, any others?

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Re: Languages?

Post by Croatianblood1 » 15 Jan 2013, 16:08

Cool stuff man! Learning a new language is awesome. I took Latin in college and although it is a dead language it really helped me understand English. I honestly learned more about English grammar in my Latin classes than any English classes I have taken.

As for other languages that I speak, I am pretty fluent in Croatian. I picked it up from my parents because they always spoke to me in both Croatian and English ever since I was a kid.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 19 Jan 2013, 04:16

Thats awesome man, I wish I had grown up in a bilingual environment. I'm jealous of people who can switch effortlessly from one language to another. (You see that alot in Canada, due to the amount of immigration) Most of my friends growing up were from other countries, and whenever I went to their houses, they'd always talk to their parents in their mother tongue. I think thats where my enthusiasm for languages stems from.

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 19 Jan 2013, 07:47

I'm interested in language too, but in a more Wittgenstein-ian way. Basically, I'm more curious about the relationship between language and thought. A large part of thinking is talking to yourself so we're all confined by the extents of our language skills. For example, if you never read a book (or heard the dialog in a movie) about falling in love, you probably wouldn't "know" it if it happened to you. It seems to me that being able to think in another language opens up new perspectives of the world. BTW, my first language is Bulgarian. It's a Slavic language, so me and Croatianblood would probably be able to understand each other.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 19 Jan 2013, 19:59

Very interesting, expert! It's not the same deal, I know, but I had a friend born in the Czech Republic who also lived in Singapore and Texas before he came to Canada. His English is perfect, since he was about 7 when he ended up here, but he said he'd wake up thinking in Czech sometimes, and that blew my mind to think about. :p

As for me... I have an incredibly poor command of French and Spanish speech wise, but I can read both pretty well. Just some course electives I chose to take on the way, in addition to the mandatory French. :p

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 23 Jan 2013, 21:24

Rome_Leader wrote:Very interesting, expert! It's not the same deal, I know, but I had a friend born in the Czech Republic who also lived in Singapore and Texas before he came to Canada. His English is perfect, since he was about 7 when he ended up here, but he said he'd wake up thinking in Czech sometimes, and that blew my mind to think about. :p

As for me... I have an incredibly poor command of French and Spanish speech wise, but I can read both pretty well. Just some course electives I chose to take on the way, in addition to the mandatory French. :p
I'm similar, I can read spanish without difficulty, because I have a large vocabulary and I'm familiar with most of the grammar. Listening to it though, is a whole other story. I find I can understand quite well when canadians/americans are speaking, (probably because all my spanish teachers in the past were north american) but not when i'm listening to native spanish speakers.

I've taken a different approach to german, and listened to alot of audio, (cartoons, sitcoms, podcasts,) rather than just reading textbooks. I've found this more immersive technique to be extremely helpful. Despite only learning german for a few months, I'd say my listening comprehension skills are already almost as good as my spanish listening skills, (and I've studied spanish for years now :o)

Steve1234
New User

Post by Steve1234 » 28 May 2014, 07:29

hmm it is really a good hobby if you are learning new languages,, i also have this passion,, i allways used to travell many countries for buisness purpose.. so i have learned so many languages such as french, spanish ,etc. and these days i am concentrating on gernman language... :shock:

mahmudamae
New User

Post by mahmudamae » 12 Mar 2015, 10:02

Good. I also like to learn different language. When I was in Japan I learned Japanese. But it was hard language.