i dont know...

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
collin
Veteran Member

i dont know...

Post by collin » 08 Sep 2011, 02:07

well i am 17 years old as of yesterday, a senior in highschool. I am still unsure about what i want to do with my life. As i get older my precious dreams of becoming a pro slowly slip away.

Of course i want it more than anything, but sometimes we have to face reality. One thing ive been thinking about is passion. I dont have a passion for art, or writing, or english, or history, or solving equations in math, or balancing elements in chemistry. I have no "realistic dream". I feel like alot of kids in my school are interested in things and know what they want. But i don't.

I feel like the only thing for me is business, solely because my dad is a sales manager. But its not my passion. I have only ever wanted 1 thing in my life, and its soccer. Im not really "good" at anything. At the moment i consider myself an average soccer player, nothing more. I have realized i can't have the highest expectations because of glimps or flashes of brilliance, or 1 great game i have had.

The expectation i have for myself right now is greatness. And i feel like if you have an expectation thats not reachable, you will not live a happy life. Atleast thats what some therapists say.
It's sad to here, but i have to say it. I am rarely happy after a game, the games i play the best in are the games my team loses. Typical and unfortunate. I can only take so much advice from you guys, and only read so many stories of good information.

But i can never apply it, i have never been able to. I can only pick my head up so many times. I think everyone has a breaking point, and i think i am close to it. I would appreciate it if you guys would comment on this, and give me your 2 cents.

That's what i want atleast. But, i dont think i will come on expertfootball alot anymore, alot has changed for me. Every time i step on the field, or im lieing in bed, my dream is fresh, but everytime i end a game, my dream is crushed. Thats all i can really sum it up to.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 08 Sep 2011, 02:49

from what i can remember reading some of your posts, you first started playing when you were around 12, correct?

that means you've been playing for 5 years. in my opinion, 5 years is not very long. you aren't very experienced yet. my 5th year in soccer was in grade 7, and tbh i don't remember being very good back then.

i've played 5/6 times a week, 11 months a year since i was 9. since then, i've had professional coaches, i've played against youth national team players, toronto fc academy players, players who've gone on to play pro, i've played against real madrid, rayo vallecano, the nevada state champions, crossfire academy and dozens of other high caliber teams.

am i pro? no. am i close to being a pro? i don't think so. despite all the above experiences which have continuously made me a stronger player, i am still not at the level i dreamt of reaching when i was a kid. watch my video; its unedited because i don't want to kid myself.

all i'm trying to say is to not have such high expectations for yourself now. it may take another 3 or 4 years before you've had enough experience to see your work pay off. until then, work hard, try your best, gain as much experience as you can and remember the reasons you fell in love with the sport in the first place.

if i were you, i'd try to get onto a competitive college team. thats what i'm trying to do. its not professional soccer but its as close as you're going to get. most college teams have a very professional approach to their season. they train every day, they take greyhound buses to away matches, the players are interviewed, match reports are written up... its the ideal preperation for persuing a professional career afterwards.

i hope you stick around the forums because its been pretty dead lately and you're one of the top members here.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 08 Sep 2011, 16:02

can you leave a link scott please so i can watch your vid. ill post on this properly later x

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 08 Sep 2011, 21:50

TheBrilliance

Post by TheBrilliance » 09 Sep 2011, 01:15

Mate I love football..so so much, but I also love sport and doing things.

Im doing a degree in sport but i figured i dont want to teach, or monitor or mentor, i want to 'do'.

By that I mean i want to play sport. Unfortunately Im not gonna be pro really. Im nearly 20, and my dreams all but slipped away.

So im taking a crack in the big leagues in acting. If that doesnt work out Im gonna maybe be a firefighter and 'do' something thats challenging, using my hands and helping society. Money doesnt motivate me.

Ill never stop playing footy but. Its my life

TheBrilliance

Post by TheBrilliance » 09 Sep 2011, 01:18

TheBrilliance wrote:Mate I love football..so so much, but I also love sport and doing things.

Im doing a degree in sport but i figured i dont want to teach, or monitor or mentor, i want to 'do'.

By that I mean i want to play sport. Unfortunately Im not gonna be pro really. Im nearly 20, and my dreams all but slipped away.

So im taking a crack in the big leagues in acting. If that doesnt work out Im gonna maybe be a firefighter and 'do' something thats challenging, using my hands and helping society. Money doesnt motivate me.

Ill never stop playing footy but. Its my life
My point is dont panic. I dont know what I wanna do with my life. If you dont. Work, or get a degree until it hits you on the head. Because it will.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 10 Sep 2011, 07:16

You only live life once man, if you really love football and want to make it your life, go for it. If you give up now and stop training, later on yoyr going to find yourself rediscovering yoyr love for it eventually, and you will think "i fu**ed up". Trust me, if you give up on your dream, when Brazil 2014 comes around you will regret it.

If you love it, strive to be a footballer, but just keep other doors open. For example, i like to live a neutral lifestyle, spread between football, friends, family, school and even girls. I trained with a mens team two nights ago, had a est day yesterday, today im forced into resting again but inly because im redesigning my training routines. So i took the time to go see my friends grand final today, and relaxed earlier on. Ive recently enrolled in a TAFE course called Sport and Fitness, which will give me a certificate in that area, opening up career oportunities for the future. I have university lined up nicely. Im comming off the back of some exams which i feel i did well in, and still manage to fit all my training in. In between all this, ive also scored the hottest formal/prom date.

What im getting at is that there are 24 hours in a day. Sure, your awake for about 16 hours of this, but thats plenty of time to fulfil everything you want to do, on the training field and off it.

I feel so much happier after balancing my life properly, instead of being a robot at school, consumed by football, and having so social life. It makes me a better footballer.
Everything you need, is already inside.

Miilleniium

Post by Miilleniium » 10 Sep 2011, 21:05

Collin I remeber a post from you telling that Jay Demerit played profesional soccer at age of 24 and he never gave up, you told that a lot of people who has 18-19 years think like "im too old, ill never make it", Jay Demerit made it and played his first World Cup at age of 30.

Salcido from Mexico and Liedson from Portugal are players who started playing at age of 16 or 17 and reach profesional soccer at 21 or something like that. Mine will be a case to, I started playing at age of 14 and you'll see I will not only be a profesional soccer player but also a great player that will be remembered for years YEAH BABY 8)

So don't give up and find a team where you can play with better players than you.

EDIT: also Martin Morel from Argentina played profesional soccer at age of 25.