My Unhealthy Little Sister

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
desire10
Veteran Member

My Unhealthy Little Sister

Post by desire10 » 15 Jul 2011, 01:41

She's only 5 years old, but she eats horribly, I can't stand to watch the junk she eats. She has a half-decent breakfast (usually because I make it!), but a lot of the time she won't eat it, she'll go to the pantry, get lollies, biscuits, and eat them. She doesn't eat like loads and loads of it, she just has an awful diet.

She is overweight, and I don't want her to be the fat kid that everyone teases at school.

I've tried to encourage her to eat healthier, but she's only five and it doesn't sink in to her.

My parents don't even really try to contain it anymore, they usually just say "no junk in the morning time", and right now she's watching a movie with a container of biscuits, so that guideline has gone out the window as my Mum is sitting near her and knows.

She never eats more then half of her dinner, and then manages to squeeze an ice cream out our parents every night.

She especially targets my step-dad, as he is wrapped around her little finger to be honest (gets whatever she wants from him).

Is there anything I can really do? If I talk to my parents about it then they'll get pissed, just trust me, that's them.

I don't even know why I care so much, I guess I'm just concerned for her health, as I eat pretty flawlessly myself.
Everything you need, is already inside.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 15 Jul 2011, 02:39

It's very typical man, sadly that's what this world has come to. Your sister is similar to alot of other kids around this world. I think what you need to do is talk to your parents, don't yell at them, give them a little teaching session, give them some info. To be honest they probably let her get away with it because they themselves dont know what a healthy diet is. Give them a brief lesson maybe back it up with some statistics, or just hide all the junk food.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 15 Jul 2011, 04:08

eventually she will hit school and i can promise you she won't be happy if she's overweight. society just says girls can't be fat. She will be teased and i guarantee until that day comes she won't care all that much.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 15 Jul 2011, 04:29

i hope your right nick or she might eat through her feelings like half of a quarter of america

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 15 Jul 2011, 04:33

maybe, fat girls never want to be fat though well most of em. I would also like to mention kids don't develop a sense of reasoning until like 11 or so. Logic won't work on them until then.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 15 Jul 2011, 10:40

Meh, from what you described it doesn't sound too bad...
If you said, yeah she's 5 she has 100 mcdonalds a day but bisquits and that as snack arent that bad. Most kids are pretty chubby at that age anyway...

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 15 Jul 2011, 16:01

She isnt going to the shop and buying the junk food. Also this is the kind food young kids like as it tastes good so if it is there it will be eaten so she cannot take any blame or judgement.

It is totally down to your parents who have taken a lazy/uninformed decision/attitude to buy these quantities of crap just let her eat her way through it then replace it.

I agree with erveryone that has said if you want to see a change you must speak to your parents about it

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 15 Jul 2011, 18:56

how active is she? you should be taking her for plenty of walks and playing lots of go-fetch with her.

but seriously, kids need atleast an hour a day of physical exercise. the younger they start, the more likely they are to maintain an active life style when they get older. maybe see if there are any sports she likes?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 15 Jul 2011, 20:01

scottS4 wrote:how active is she? you should be taking her for plenty of walks and playing lots of go-fetch with her.

but seriously, kids need atleast an hour a day of physical exercise. the younger they start, the more likely they are to maintain an active life style when they get older. maybe see if there are any sports she likes?
Scott's suggestion is a good one. Scotty is also right in that your parents have to take the most responsibility at that age. They are not setting her down a good road at all. Try your best to get her interested in some form of sports/atheltics as it can help greatly offset a poor diet. I would worry, if I were you, that if she doesn't get proper nutrients at that age, it could affect her growth later in life.

As the third Scott to comment on this matter, I can say my diet as a child was not very good at all, but I was fortunate to have firm parents who insisted I at least eat sensibly for meals. Based on that foundation, I finally began eating well in my teen years, although I will never give up my 'Pepsi a day' :p She mightn't get the idea of the consequences just yet, but do your best to excite her with, and involve her in, sports, and you'll do her a world of good.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 15 Jul 2011, 21:07

ye make sure you get her in a sport that has alot of running in it like soccer of course. Dont get her into like bowling, or personally i dont think softball or baseball is very physical demanding either in terms of running

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 16 Jul 2011, 00:57

Thanks for all the helpful posts everyone.

I'll try and get her interested in a sport! She's a very keen casual dancer around the house, so I will try and get her nagging my parents about it.

I can't really do much myself at the moment, because I'm never home to influence her or take her for walks, but she likely gets exercise at school, I just think that her nutrition cancels out any activity she gets up to.
Everything you need, is already inside.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 16 Jul 2011, 12:28

It probably does a great deal of harm, you're right, but if she gets in the active lifestyle, that could have positive effects on influencing what she eats. For example, if she gets into dancing, I'm sure her peers will be, for the most part, healthy eating freaks, and that could rub off on her in a big way.

Good on you for making breakfast for her when you can, though! :)

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Steve1234
New User

Re: My Unhealthy Little Sister

Post by Steve1234 » 28 May 2014, 07:42

this seems to be a really serious issue,, as you are saying that she is only five years old ,, she used to eat junk foods rather than healthy food then according to me it is really a serious matter to be talk,, she is only five and it is really bad for her . I think you should talk her more gently and encourage her to eat healthy food ,, and i think you should also talk to your parents about this , and i would also suggest you to recommend a doctor.