photography

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
stephen8789

photography

Post by stephen8789 » 31 May 2011, 04:33

i really like photography and these are my first attempts at it. so tell me what you think

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63567893@N08/

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 31 May 2011, 19:22

A couple of them are quite good.

Do you have a copy of Photoshop? You don't need the full on version, Elements is fine?

I always use it to fine tune my pictures.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 31 May 2011, 19:57

On those self portrait photos, work on your framing. Usually the subject is off set to the left or right, or dead center, not in between. Hope that makes sense.

stephen8789

Post by stephen8789 » 31 May 2011, 23:03

no i dont have photo shop but i have paint-shop pro. but on these photos were the first time ive used it so i got to learn how to do that

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 01 Jun 2011, 18:21

Some of the best are the ones that are change in perspective where you're not just standing upright taking the picture.

Zlatan5 said, work on your framing. For instance, the bottle picture is cut off on the top.
I wouldn't depend on photoshop/paint too much. Make sure your photographs are good when you take the picture! My suggestion would be to start with b/w film and then move to digital.

It's nice to see that you rotate your camera and you just don't take all vertical or horizontal shots.

Overall, a great start!

You can see what I'm talking about with some of my pictures on my blog.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 01 Jun 2011, 18:40

Learn to visualize and create shots in your head. A big thing for me is line. I love using lines to help frame up shots. For example, I took a self portrait of myself, look at how the lines coincide with one another. I am standing straight, that is a vertical line , my sweatshirt has vertical lines, the bars to my left are vertical. Also, my sunglasses create a horizontal line that match up with the bricks on the wall that create horizontal lines, there are more "organic and natural lines" I could name, but if you look hard enough you will see them.

And, get photoshop, even elements would work grade, that portrait of myself is color graded and touched up. Here is another shot I took of my wolfdog when she was a puppy, I like the framing and color grading I applied to it, not my best photo, but a favorite.