konichiwa bitches

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
scottS4
Veteran Member

konichiwa bitches

Post by scottS4 » 27 Mar 2011, 19:45

minute of silence before usa vs argentina to show respect to japan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPrSluCw ... r_embedded

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 27 Mar 2011, 20:36

or lack there of

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 27 Mar 2011, 20:38

what a lack of respect.. like, in europe, south america, i see minutes of silence every game and fans can get their act together for atleast 1 minue.. apparently some are capable of doing it, or think its funny to disrespect a country that just suffered natural disasters and are having serious problems with nuclear radiation.. :roll:

only in america, sorry, but it only happens in america
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 27 Mar 2011, 21:17

So you're going to generalize all Americans because of one person yelling something stupid? Not saying it was right, definitely wasn't, but it's unfair to generalize like that. Americans are usually pretty good about holding a moment of silence. How do you know the person who yelled that wasn't wearing an Argentinean. There were plenty of those there last night.
What about after 9/11 when the Mexican fans chanted "Osama, Osama" during the national anthem. It's not just "only in America."

Edit: I take back the Argentina jersey part, because it does sound like he yelled "GO USA" before, but even so, it seems like all was quiet except for one idiot.

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 27 Mar 2011, 21:29

but it's more fun to hate on America as the only country to have problems! :(
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 27 Mar 2011, 21:58

I watched the game and was very angry about the chanting during the moment of silence but it is very unfair to generalize every single American because of it.

I'm sure there were vuvuzelas playing during national anthems at the World Cup. Those fans couldn't keep quiet for 2-3 minutes max? That wasn't "only in America"

What about this "fan" that chanted sectarian songs during a Northern Ireland vs Scotland game in Dublin? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 402299.stm

All of it is disrespectful but it isn't only happening in America.

I'll tell you another thing that bothers me is people who talk during national anthems. Sign proudly if you want but general talking I think is disrespectful. I went to a high school soccer game earlier this year and a JV player from the other school was talking extremely loud during the national anthem, practically yelling.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 27 Mar 2011, 23:45

I disagree about people being quiet. I was watching the game live and heard the murmur of the crowd from the first second of the "silence". Its easy to tell the difference after watching pin drop silence during moments of silence in almost every game in La Liga.

Its not like everyone was quiet and this fellow said something. Almost everyone was talking and this fellow yelled something.

Also to be fair, the game was played in New Jersey of all places, so I can understand such callous behaviour :lol:

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 28 Mar 2011, 00:15

shahensha wrote:I disagree about people being quiet. I was watching the game live and heard the murmur of the crowd from the first second of the "silence". Its easy to tell the difference after watching pin drop silence during moments of silence in almost every game in La Liga.

Its not like everyone was quiet and this fellow said something. Almost everyone was talking and this fellow yelled something.

Also to be fair, the game was played in New Jersey of all places, so I can understand such callous behaviour :lol:
From what I've heard from people who were at the game they said it was very hard to hear the announcer, the Meadowlands was a sell out

I think the people watching it on tv heard a lot of it because I don't think ESPN turned off their mics.

At least it was a true moment of silence, despite the yelling and talking. I went to a local USL game and they had a moment of silence and it was literally a second long. The announcer said "a moment of silence" and then 1 second later "thank you, on with the game".

Greenstar
Sophomore Member

Post by Greenstar » 28 Mar 2011, 02:34

sh*t happens. Dont give the damn about them. Lets tribute the silence to Japan. :cry:

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 28 Mar 2011, 19:30

arsenalfc08 wrote:
shahensha wrote:I disagree about people being quiet. I was watching the game live and heard the murmur of the crowd from the first second of the "silence". Its easy to tell the difference after watching pin drop silence during moments of silence in almost every game in La Liga.

From what I've heard from people who were at the game they said it was very hard to hear the announcer, the Meadowlands was a sell out

I think the people watching it on tv heard a lot of it because I don't think ESPN turned off their mics.

At least it was a true moment of silence, despite the yelling and talking. I went to a local USL game and they had a moment of silence and it was literally a second long. The announcer said "a moment of silence" and then 1 second later "thank you, on with the game".
well there are many factors that could justify such behaviour.
a) either they were dangerously wasted off of alcohol
b) perhaps they didnt know the "1 minute silent mourn" tradition and didnt care to follow it.........as a North American (Canadian to be specific), i was honestly surprised they did it at the game because The North Americas dont really follow that style of tradition in particular.
c) all of the above

i like to think b but c is very likely lol

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 28 Mar 2011, 21:38

Coming from Ireland, i can assure you been absolutely wankered is not an excuse for disrespecting people who are dying in hardships like those happening in Japan.

As for saying one person yelling, listen to the tape, that is suppose to be a minute silence, watch European football/south American football/Asian football, basically anywhere besides the US and you will see a proper, pin drop type, silence for the whole duration.

Manchester United Versus Manchester City a few years back, minute silence for the Munich air disaster. Two teams with a pure hatred between each other. You could hear a penny drop for the whole silence.

This isn't generalising, but this is the first time i've ever seen such an appalling and disgraceful thing, and I'm certainly not surprised to see it was in the US.

BTW, Their expecting a super earthquake in San fransico any time in the near future I think? Funny part is, Japanese people would be the last people on earth to show the Americans disrespect during a minute silence, or at any time.

It's also interesting how the only people here saying things in Americas defence are American, hardly an unbiased view point. I can assure you, i'm not American or Japanese, but if i saw this happen to people from any country, I would instantly make my mind up about the type of character that the vile nation has spawned.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 28 Mar 2011, 23:35

klc123 wrote:It's also interesting how the only people here saying things in Americas defence are American, hardly an unbiased view point. I can assure you, i'm not American or Japanese, but if i saw this happen to people from any country, I would instantly make my mind up about the type of character that the vile nation has spawned.
Sure there a lot of assholes and insensitive people in the U.S. but I don't think it's fair to generalize the entire population as fitting into that mold. I feel confident saying that the vast majority of people I deal with in my day to day life are much more respectful and sensible than the idiots who ruined that minute of silence. Even though I am American there is no way in hell I would try to defend or make anyone accept the appalling actions of the people heard in the video- as I think they are as shocking as anyone else.

It is extremely embarrassing for our country to see some of our citizens exhibit such lack of respect and ignorance towards so many innocent lives lost.

All I'm saying is don't consider me and every single other American to be a complete dickwad because those people are.
Click it

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 28 Mar 2011, 23:46

You're not really unbiased either though. :roll:

Minute of silence should be observed, I agree, but the fact is that Americans have always donated money in times of tragedy. I'll admit, we're not keeping up with our usual pace, but we're not exactly in good economic standing at the moment. Look at what we did for Haiti and Indonesia in the past and now for Japan. Do these things not matter? That shouldn't be overlooked because of what some people did at a match. Most of the people I've talked to have said it was disrespectful. That's the type of "character the vile nation has spawned."

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 29 Mar 2011, 00:08

I never claimed to be unbiased... I'm just stating that from my personal experience living in the U.S. it seems to me that the type of people who wouldn't show respect for a minute of silence for a tragedy such as this represent the minority of the population not the majority. If people think I'm full of sh*t then that is their right... all can take my opinion as you will and make up your own mind- I'm just throwing my 2 cents in.
Click it

mustahfa14

Post by mustahfa14 » 29 Mar 2011, 04:50

Haha you europeans are calling us disrespectful? What about your ongoing problem with racism towards soccer players? fu**ing hypocrites.

Ok now that that rant is over...

I feel like everyone around the world has a negative outlook on americans and our behavior. Media probably has the biggest effect on that. Vice versa.

now you can all sit here and bash americans for not giving the moment of silence, but i can, in a heartbeat, turn around and bash all you foreigners for the bulls**t you do too. So really this is just a lose lose. Yea this wasn't a fine moment from the US AND Argentinian people, but thats only a small percentage of America. So get over your nationalism and stop talking out your ass. Yea i dont like my country that much either, but everyone else sure aint any saints like you are making it out to be (more in this aspect). Yea you guys are completely silent in a moment of silence. Thats aweseome (no sarcasm). I respect that. But at the same time you toss bananas at black players and make monkey chants. Do you see that here in america?