"I Got Soul, But I'm Not a Soldier"

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
desire10
Veteran Member

"I Got Soul, But I'm Not a Soldier"

Post by desire10 » 25 Mar 2011, 06:59

Do you remember the old Nike ad? The one with this song by The Killers. Google/YouTube it and you'll find it I promise.

The quote though, "I Got Soul, But I'm Not a Soldier" seems to have man double meanings. Some people think it's the thought of - I've got soul, as in I'm faithful to the lord, but I'm not a soldier, as in "soldier of god". Others say it's just a play on words. A comedian (I forget who) once teased The Killers lyrics with relating them to as meaningless as - "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster".

What do you think it means?
Everything you need, is already inside.

Greenstar
Sophomore Member

Post by Greenstar » 25 Mar 2011, 09:08

I think it`s about yourself. In any sports, if you want to play the sport, you have to believe that you can do it no mater what. Just like football.
For example in the vid, the vid shows Lance Armstrong pushing himself to win the Tour De France. You know that he got cancer right?

The conclusion is, if you like the sport, dont give up playing it.

mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint » 25 Mar 2011, 13:05

My own personal interpretation of it, is you can battle through anything just like a soldier.

Thats what i think anyway
i was made to ignite

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 25 Mar 2011, 15:25

Greenstar wrote:I think it`s about yourself. In any sports, if you want to play the sport, you have to believe that you can do it no mater what. Just like football.
For example in the vid, the vid shows Lance Armstrong pushing himself to win the Tour De France. You know that he got cancer right?

The conclusion is, if you like the sport, dont give up playing it.
You know the song was used for sports video right? The song isn't necesarilly about sports, it was written before, and since the song kind of does pump people up Nike used it for the courage video.. The killers didn't know Lance Armstrong was gonna be in the video winning the tourde france, or that Wayne Rooney was gonna be in it celebrating a goal.. Its like if I write a song about ice cream today, but it sounds romantic, so they use it in a jewerely commercial, not neccesarily did i write it thinking about diamonds or pearls.. :?

I think in the lyrics, the killers talk about a person living a mediocre life, wanting to reach a goal, and stop living a sh*tty life ("i wanna stand up, i wanna let go") but not having the inner strength to reach it, needing a help or a push from someone or something ("you know you gotta help me out"/ "i need direction to perfection"), and the chorus being, "i've got soul but im not a soldier", i think it means, yes i have the heart, the love, the desire for my goal, but i'm not a soldier meaning i don't have the persevearnce, persistence, mental toughness of a soldier to not give up and keep pushing all the way through adversity, obstacles, failure.. Basically a song about someone that has the heart to reach a goal ("soul"), but might lack the strength and discipline of a soldier, in his pursuit, and is asking for help from somebody or something..

The killer lyrics are rather vague to be honest though .. I might be totally erroneous, but thats something that made sense to me.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'