ALL THINGS WORLD JUNIORS RELATED.

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

I'm sure any self-respecting Canadian has been following the World Juniors team on their quest to retake gold in Buffalo this year, just wondering how many forum users have been following teams, or if they even know this tournament is taking place (It's in Buffalo, NY this year)

Personally, I'm impressed with Canada's offensive output and dominance as the game goes on, but they always seem to start a little flat. They can't be giving up the first goal to the Americans like they did to Russia and the Czechs and expect to win. Roy has been very solid in net, I don't think the many complaints against him are warranted.

For those out of the loop, the World Juniors is an international U-20 hockey tournament that happens every year around the end of the December and into January. This year, the USA are defending champs, and are hosting the event.

Group A

Canada
Sweden
Russia
Czech Republic
Norway

Group B

USA
Switzerland
Germany
Finland
Slovakia

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Some fun facts about the tournament in my opinion (clever, eh?):

1. No one outside of Canada cares about junior hockey. If they do watch hockey, they will get a chance to see them in the NHL eventually anyway.

2. Not a fan of Roy in net, he's just a bit of an idiot more than anything.

3. The tournament is only in Buffalo because it's hardly in the US and it's easy for Canadian to travel to. Honestly if you put this in Nashville, the buildings would be empty.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

I agree, but the Preds find some way to fill their stadiums. Certainly more than the Thrashers or Coyotes; I get the impression they're quite popular.

People outside of Canada care a great deal about junior hockey. Perhaps a more accurate phrasing would be 'Americans don't care about junior hockey.' :p I can guarantee plenty of Norwegians were watching at home last night, and were more than a little pleased they managed to squeeze even one past Visentine.

Finally, I think you're thinking of a different Roy. Olivier is not son of Patrick. That douchebag who assaulted another goalie once gave up hockey to start a band. That was Jonathan. Also, he has another son, Frederick, who gave a dirty crosscheck to a player that split his head open. Also not him. :p

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Hockey gosh hearing the words Junior Hockey brings back memories. My brother used to play and a lot of his former teammates are still trying to make it, bless their hearts its hard to make it in hockey!

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Hard indeed, but a little bit easier if you're a Canadian. I only played a little for my university, but I got a few offers to transfer and stuff to play elsewhere due to my size.:p The program and overall youth development is great in Canada. Coupled with a nationwide love for the sport, it's why we've been able to consistently beat America in the sport despite a much smaller population.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

I went to the USA Slovakia game on Tuesday and the arena was filled with Canadian fans (somewhat of a nightmare for me). Overall it was a good time and if you get the chance I would recommend attending one of the games. It's pretty exciting seeing young players in action and knowing that most of them will be in the NHL eventually.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Indeed, aside from the Canadians and Americans there are a lot of highly touted Swedes this year.

CB, there's been specials all day on TSN about how the Canadian players are loving the 'home away from home' atmosphere and how hard the fans are trying to make it on the Americans. I find it hilarious. :p

Are you watching Sweden v. Czech Republic now, perchance?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Well, fu** me. That is the single worst thing I have ever witnessed in sport. Not even talking about the Chelsea loss yesterday, that was just a hiccup.

Up 3-0, five unanswered goals. I cannot even talk. The whole country is so mad, I feel the need to build a fallout shelter. Canada are lucky they have free medicare, because they're going to get the hell kicked out of them when they come home.

Hugh
Veteran Member

fu** that game.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

fu** life. The past didn't happen. History begins with us, Hugh.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Well if its any consolation in the USA all the hockey we care about is in the NHL (and Olympics). So at least we're not making fun of Canada's debacle since if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't even be aware of it :wink:

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

The team was good, but they didn't deserve to win. Didn't like much of the team anyway, all going to be 3rd line grinders anyway. Maybe 3 or 4 of them will do any better than that on offense, and a couple may be good defenders. But still, was definitely not as crushed as last year when they had Hall and Ebs.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin