Godwin's Law

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
matt
EF Forum Legend

Godwin's Law

Post by matt »

Alas gone are the days when I was a regular EF Admin (hint hint...) but I feel that I should draw everyone's attention to this. I won't name names but recently this issue came up and it would be good if everyone were aware of it. What follows is standard internet protocol.

Godwin's Law has two key aspects.

1) If users are not careful during an internet discussion then any topic is in danger of mentioning the Nazis, no matter how irrelevant it is to the original point.

2) In a non-political debate, once a user compares his or her opponent's views to a Nazi or Hitler (e.g. "that's what the Nazis would have done" or "that's what Hitler would have said") then not only have they lost the debate by bringing it down to an absurd level, but the debate becomes virtually impossible to continue. Regrettably this often means that the topic must be closed.

If you find yourself on the receiving end of one of these comparisons the best thing to do is bring it to the attention of one of the site's admins.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.
klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 »

This is the most pathetic thing I have heard. If I excluded the word Nazi in my post would have still made it's point very clearly. This is a poor excuse for a get out of jail card, trying to counter my argument by using "Internet forum rules," is just laughable.
matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt »

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt »

klc123 wrote:This is the most pathetic thing I have heard. If I excluded the word Nazi in my post would have still made it's point very clearly. This is a poor excuse for a get out of jail card, trying to counter my argument by using "Internet forum rules," is just laughable.
No it wouldn't have.I am not even going to dignify this with a proper response. You are reaching a point of no return.

This topic is purely for information and not to fuel any other debates going on in other topics.
Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh »

Know who else locked threads, matt? Nazis.

:mrgreen:
klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 »

In Nazi Germany, if a news paper spoke poorly of the Nazis, they all got sent to concentration camps.

When the Gestapo burst out and arrest you from under your floor boards, don't say we didn't warn you Matt.
Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh »

klc123 wrote:In Nazi Germany...
Really thought you were going to go with a Yakov Smirnoff joke here...
klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 »

Looking back I wish I had.