Procrastination ....

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
panchester07
Veteran Member

Procrastination ....

Post by panchester07 » 25 Apr 2010, 19:39

Whats up lads...

Man, I stopped and noticed, how much time I actually waste in a day.. The only thing I actually get done impeccably is football, I have to be to practices on time and practice cause its a compromise I've made with the team, but also maybe the fact that I like it has to do with me practicing/working on improving all the time..

Other than that, procrastination is my middle name, its getting to a point where its annoying, facebook, EF, and sports news consume my productive time, once I finally gather the will power to actually stop fooling around in the internet, and try to start doing homework I always find a reason not to do it, or to do it tomorrow, or to wake up at 5.00 am in the morning to get it done.. I seriously am awake like 15 hours a day and sleep like 9.. Out of those 15, Im in school for 8, train for 3-4 and completely waste the diference.. Its my last year in school so I can drive a car, that means I am 100% in charge my mum and dad don't even check if I leave early or not.. Often I'm late as well to school, cause I procrastinate leaving early :S

Do you guys procrastinate? How much, and how do you handle it? What can you recomend a fellow procrastinator?

I seriously have the hardest time doing homework, I barely do anything, and when I actually get into it I look for excuses to quit doing it, or finish it later, I kind of get this thought : "Well I advanced a bit on it, Ill finish it tomorrow" .. Its annoying, I get a feeling of well being when I have that thought, and I actually believe that I WILL do it tomorrow...

My grades are average, could be much higher but I need to stop procrastinating..

Help!
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 25 Apr 2010, 20:03

you basically summed up my life haha. 1am if i don't sleep is essay time 4am if i do sleep is essay time. Even with that i'm on facebook and listening to music while doing it.

Evan
Veteran Member

Post by Evan » 25 Apr 2010, 20:22

PROCRASTINATORS UNITE...tomorrow.

Honestly, I did procrastinate a lot this year. I recently started to buckle down though and force myself to study. I think the fact that the year is almost over and I need good grades obviously makes a difference.

A tip: For me, I envision something I really want; something I have to work for. In this case, I want to enjoy my summer break without having to stress about my grades. I envision myself sitting in the spa outside at my home, drinking a glass of whiskey and smoking a cigar, not having a stress in the world. I took my grades from B, B, C, D to A, B, B, C in the past month because I hauled ass and studied, working towards my goal of a stress-free summer and a good report card.

Envision something you want, something realistic and close. For me that is easier than saying I need to study to get good grades. I say: I need to study to get good grades so I can not have to stress.
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 25 Apr 2010, 20:31

Evan wrote:PROCRASTINATORS UNITE...tomorrow.

Honestly, I did procrastinate a lot this year. I recently started to buckle down though and force myself to study. I think the fact that the year is almost over and I need good grades obviously makes a difference.

A tip: For me, I envision something I really want; something I have to work for. In this case, I want to enjoy my summer break without having to stress about my grades. I envision myself sitting in the spa outside at my home, drinking a glass of whiskey and smoking a cigar, not having a stress in the world. I took my grades from B, B, C, D to A, B, B, C in the past month because I hauled ass and studied, working towards my goal of a stress-free summer and a good report card.

Envision something you want, something realistic and close. For me that is easier than saying I need to study to get good grades. I say: I need to study to get good grades so I can not have to stress.
sort of in the same boat. I've procrastinated a lot until this last term where I actually do spend time on hw now. Still I'd say my days are 0-8 hrs of school, 0-4 hours of work, 2-5 hours of hw/studying, and the rest is wasted basically. After my last term (got my first C in like 5 years) I decided to get my sh*t together.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 25 Apr 2010, 20:57

Nice to hear ya'll have trouble with it too, not in a bad way, just it seems like people here are much more responsible than me, and sometimes people don't even wanna be in my group for my reputation of doing a crappy last minute job, or sometimes not even do it..

I seriously gotta just force myself to do it, its either me or them, and setting goals sounds like an excellent idea.. I kind of think of me in the futuree with a fancy car and house, and that gets me to work, but its just a thought, be better if it was an actual goal, I'm even gonna write it down..

I also have poor concentration, I was also that kid, "im to cool for school", " i hate reading", I always looked for shortcuts to pass the year with decent grades, and my lack of effort, is turning out expensive cause noww its the real deal, and concentration and good study skills are needed. I never studied, often copied homeworks, and was a complete slacker in school all my life, so I have sh*tty concentration and studying skills.. Im a smart dude, I catch on to things quickly, but just cause I'm smart, doesn't mean I'll be able to suddenly start studying 3 hours a day (what I should), if for 16 years I didn't do squat..

I'll practice goal setting and forcing myself to study.

I also am a bit unmotivated towards school, a part of me (the one Im showing right now) is quite desperate to get good grades and be succesful, but the other part is all about short term fun, and living the moment, and being lazy..

I guess I gotta form the habbit-

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 25 Apr 2010, 21:07

you just gotta find something you're passionate about in school and studying and applying yourself won't be as bad. Right now I'm just doing my pre req's so I don't enjoy my classes at all but when I have biology oriented classes I actually enjoy doing my hw and studying.

acmilan94

Post by acmilan94 » 26 Apr 2010, 03:58

What I like to do is before I go to sleep every night, I write down the stuff I wanna get done tomorrow on a notepad, and also get my clothes ready and leave them on my desk next to my alarm clock. The next day when I wake up, I take a glance at my todo list. this really helps me focus on what I have to do that day.
Also, not really a fix for procastination, but warm->cold showers in the morning does wonders for my first and second period grades. It just instantly wakes me up, so i'm actually alert when the first bell rings.
--
"There's someone out there practicing right now, and if you face him, he will win."

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 26 Apr 2010, 04:16

Tip: if you're tired for first period, try getting up early on the weekend, then getting up for school will feel like sleeping in.

Back on topic, I also procrastinate. Infact, I am doing a very good job of that right now. :)

"Procrastination is like masturbating, it feels good at first but then you realize you just screwed yourself"

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 26 Apr 2010, 06:16

Scotts on the money. I am the procrastination king. I think its good to have a little bit of it in your system otherwise your that OCD perfectionist kind, and the ones i have met do not seem that happy..at all...ever. But ive finished school and i work and play football. Thats it.

This makes it easier for me to prioritise, know and understand what i need and want to achieve in a days work.

As Scott said write things down. Know what you wanna do, if you want to get 4 things done in a day aim for 3. This sounds weird but for procrastinators but the mixture of self satisfaction and the lazy guy feeling feels quite good.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 26 Apr 2010, 06:22

Anymi wrote: I think its good to have a little bit of it in your system otherwise your that OCD perfectionist kind, and the ones i have met do not seem that happy..at all...ever. B
Or you could be a combination of both. Procrastinating cause you feel like you'll never achieve that perfection you are aiming for; and therefore lose the motivation to try. That sucks hugely :roll:
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 26 Apr 2010, 15:19

Well after procrastinating all Saturday, on Sunday I woke up, went to church, and surprisingly studied like for 8 hours.. I aided myself with coffee, which gives me concentration and works as a stimulant. I don't like to cheat with drugs, but desperate times, call for desperate needs, as I am in quatrimester finals, and need to get those grades up :shock:

As a procrastinator, I also (used to) do something that worked well, plan on starting on doing it again... Here it goes:

Its kind of like a domino effect. In the morning, when you wake up, and open your eyes, IMMEDIATELY do something that you usually pospone, procrastinate, say clean your room, grooming yourself, organizing your desk, taking a shower(lazy bastards), etc, etc.

This task shouldn't last to long, and should be something that can be achieved quickly to create a new pattern of effectivenes, and break the old pattern of lazyness that people get into and usually follow the rest of the day and procrastinate their day away basically, which is sad.

Its a quick task that you do, to get you in that efficient mood for the rest of the day..

Once you do something and get it done, you actually start getting in that pattern of thought of doing things, and achieving things, like a snowball effect.

This can also work negatively, as we usually let it, cause if you actually get in that "pospone, procrastinate" mood and attitude, you will automatically start procrastinating things, and also be in an unneficient mood and state for the rest of the day.

Hope this helps a few procrastinators out there, I will start doing it myself again..

Also, this can be done at any time of the day, after school, is when I'm tired and "I feel I've worked" I get home and throw everything in the floor and hit my bed with my computer in my lap, automatically, I'm unnefective for the rest of the day, and seem to be posponing sh*t and getting things done halfway or not even done.. So if you know that your effective in the mornings, but in after noon you waste time, get home, do 1-2 simple quick tasks, and get into that effective mood, works like charm! Also, success breeds more success so your success in those areas, will transmit to other areas .. Fact... !

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 26 Apr 2010, 22:51

For me fighting procrastination happens by completely eliminating things I waste time on from my life.

The most recent example being Facebook. I tried just not logging on, but without even thinking I'd find myself on Facebook (haha). So, I decided, enough is enough and removed all friends and everything then put it up to be deleted. I realized that every one of my real life friends on there I never talk to through FB so really the stuff I waste my time reading on there is about people who have no influence on my life. :S

Granted, I've made quite a few friends online that I "cut out" by that, but, again I have other mediums I can talk to them through (ex: EF or MSN) that I don't waste hours and hours on.

So, really, make a conscious effort to just avoid doing things and acknowledge it's a waste of time. If this doesn't work then go to the extreme of just making the thing you waste time on pointless to bother with anymore (ex: remove all FB friends).

Lastly, don't think it's a terrible thing to have a short bit of "wasting time a day", but also realize the "wasted time" you will NEVER get back.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 04 May 2010, 04:10

I hav lotsa stuff to write on this..but I think Ill do it tomolo..

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 04 May 2010, 04:15

That was funny..

bom1221

Post by bom1221 » 04 May 2010, 05:11

im procrastinating right now! lol i have a whole research paper to write tonight and this is actually gonna help me get my work done :) thanks guys