UK General Election

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

With the UK Election being held on 6th May, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread about it.

Personally, I think it'll end up as a hung parliament. The current government are to politics what Steve McLaren was to the England team yet David Cameron's lot still can open up a convincing lead in the polls.

None of the politicians seem to have the balls to discuss the major issues. At present, the campaign is like listening to a couple of drunk slappers in a kebab shop.

mint
EF Drug Baron
Posts: 2430
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 20:38

Post

I dont have a clue who to vote for, im deffo not voting labour.
Image
i was made to ignite

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

mint wrote:I dont have a clue who to vote for, im deffo not voting labour.
Just make sure you go and vote. Even if you just scribble on the ballot paper, it will still be recorded. They have talked about adding a box for "None of the above".

Lots of people don't bother voting and I do understand their apathy but I think its wrong. It'll never change if people don't do something about it.

Give this a go....it may help make up your mind

http://voteforpolicies.org.uk

Magicfeet
Moderator
Posts: 1212
Joined: 15 Apr 2005, 10:03
Location: England

Post

I think putting Cameron in power would be a disaster. The man has no substance to him whatsoever.

It's interesting to see how the 2nd debate goes. It's widely thought that Nick Clegg "won" the first, but I dare say he was helped by the fact that Brown & Cameron didn't really see him as a threat; he came out and went for the jugular.

Assuming the Lib Dems can't win the election, a lot will depend on who can garner the favour of the lib dem vote (or, at least, those who would vote for them but would prefer to influence which of the other two parties get into power).

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

There is no way the LibDems can win the election due to the UK voting system. The way the polls are at the moment, although ZaNu Labour are 3rd, they would have the most seats and the Lib Dems would have around half the number of seats - all a bit mad really.

Brown and his lot are a complete liability and whatever happens, they must not be allowed to have any say in what happens next. The country is fu**ed for years because of those morons.

I'm not convinced enough by Cameron but given the choice of those 3, he is the best of a very bad bunch.

The LibDems are only a notch below the Communists with their policies. As Magicfeet said, no-one has taken them seriously until now so their policies haven't really been put under the spotlight.

My guess is a hung parliament with a 2nd election later in the year as nothing will get done. The MPs will just behave like a bunch of drunk slappers in a kebab shop rather than try to work together to fix the country.

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post

I will pay the teenager who egged David Cameron £20 if I ever meet him.

I hope Lib-Dems win, they seem to be the only one with a leader who isn't a complete jackass and as a party actually have some brilliant ideas. Then again, if labour is anyone to go by, we will see roughly zero of those ideas put into practise and the reverse of all their "promises" will take place.

Once I can vote, I'm going to tick the box that says "none of c**ts above."

Hugh
Veteran Member
Posts: 2863
Joined: 20 Jan 2007, 20:26
Location: Vancouver

Post

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le1542582/


Ahahahahahahahaha

This is great! All I ever hear when british politics is mentioned is cameron this and brown that, I knew Clegg was doing well in the tv debates but I never expected this!

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

Hugh wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le1542582/


Ahahahahahahahaha

This is great! All I ever hear when british politics is mentioned is cameron this and brown that, I knew Clegg was doing well in the tv debates but I never expected this!
It just shows how desperate people are for a change. Its his 15 minutes as now his policies are coming under the spotlight, the bounce won't last long.

Magicfeet
Moderator
Posts: 1212
Joined: 15 Apr 2005, 10:03
Location: England

Post

LINK

An interesting article on The Sun's impact and influence over British politics, and how the Lib-Dems are basically ignored by Murdoch's media.

I'm very much looking forward to the next debate. I can't wait to see if Clegg can hold his own now, when he will certainly be targeted by "the big boys."

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

Magicfeet wrote:LINK

An interesting article on The Sun's impact and influence over British politics, and how the Lib-Dems are basically ignored by Murdoch's media.

I'm very much looking forward to the next debate. I can't wait to see if Clegg can hold his own now, when he will certainly be targeted by "the big boys."
Vince Cable and Clegg have both had a tough time this week. The debate between Cameron and Clegg is about to start. Brown will be there annoying people with pointless quotes and doing that stupid goldfish thing with his mouth.

Magicfeet
Moderator
Posts: 1212
Joined: 15 Apr 2005, 10:03
Location: England

Post

Cameron has been a touch better than pathetic so far.

Clegg has been ok.

Brown has been better than both (in my eyes), that's for sure.

There's too much empty rhetoric all round, sadly.

EDIT: Cameron has improved somewhat in the last 15 minutes, it must be said.

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

Magicfeet wrote:Cameron has been a touch better than pathetic so far.

Clegg has been ok.

Brown has been better than both (in my eyes), that's for sure.

There's too much empty rhetoric all round, sadly.

EDIT: Cameron has improved somewhat in the last 15 minutes, it must be said.
I'm genuinely curious - how did you come to that conclusion about Brown?

mint
EF Drug Baron
Posts: 2430
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 20:38

Post

ratherton wrote:
Magicfeet wrote:Cameron has been a touch better than pathetic so far.

Clegg has been ok.

Brown has been better than both (in my eyes), that's for sure.

There's too much empty rhetoric all round, sadly.

EDIT: Cameron has improved somewhat in the last 15 minutes, it must be said.
I'm genuinely curious - how did you come to that conclusion about Brown?
Brown has been a let down, like the labour goverment.
Image
i was made to ignite

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 15:39

Post

Brown played it well. He's the older guy who's been round the block and Camerons just a silly public school boy.

The lib dems always do better in the polls than they do in the ballots because when it comes to it people dont trust them to run the country as they havn't been in power for centuries. (which i think is nonsense, any idiot could run a country if they are surrounded by the right people.)
Image

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

ScottyBoy wrote:Brown played it well. He's the older guy who's been round the block and Camerons just a silly public school boy.

The lib dems always do better in the polls than they do in the ballots because when it comes to it people dont trust them to run the country as they havn't been in power for centuries. (which i think is nonsense, any idiot could run a country if they are surrounded by the right people.)
The polls don't really reflect the voting system. It is possible for the LibDems to poll the highest number of votes and still have around half the number of seats as each of Labour and the Tories.

Brown and many of the others like Ed Balls and the Jedward Milliband brothers are a complete liability. As chancellor, Brown allowed the banks to increasingly go about their dodgy business unregulated, he stole billions from everyones pension, imposed a string of stealth taxes, sold our gold reserves at bargain basement prices and despite all this revenue, left the country in an appalling state when the inevitable crash came round.

We'll all be paying for his financial mismanagement. Whoever gets into power will have to increase tax and slash spending to get the situation under control.

I don't actually care who runs the country - all I want is to have a reasonably standard of life for a fair days work, criminals to be punished properly, schools to provide a decent education, hospitals that don't kill people.

One of the many problems is that our leaders (and I include politicians from all sides) are quite happy to do wrong and then claim they are innocent when they've been caught. Leaders should lead by example and most of them are a disgrace.

ScottyBoy: Do you have any particular reason to call Cameron a silly public school boy or is it just because his family was in a position to send him to one of the best schools in the country and he speaks a bit posh (well, quite a lot posh). I appreciate, its quite hard for anyone in Scotland to like the Tory party.

Personally, I'm wary of him due to his PR background. The last thing the country needs is another Tony Blah. However, the only way to see if he delivers on his promises if/when he gets elected. I thought he did reasonably well dealing with Tory MPs who took the piss with their expenses.

Post Reply