IQ - Intelligence quotient

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
Magicfeet
Moderator
Posts: 1212
Joined: 15 Apr 2005, 10:03
Location: England

Post

Heh, I don't mind if klc hates me.

Grammar police, ahoy! I wouldn't bring it up if klc wasn't quite so happy to talk about how intelligent he is. :lol:

I'm not saying he's not clever... but if you're going to go on teh internetz and talk about your super high IQ, you should really try and nail the fundamentals of grammar first. OR ELSE THE GRAMMAR POLICE WILL GET YOU.

Image

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post

I don't hate you.

I will be the first person to tell you that I have poor grammar and spelling.

However, intelligence has nothing to do with how good you are at spelling and how long you spent revising grammar rules in school. Ive never had the time or passion for perfect English like you evidently do have, so im most definitely going to be wrong alot of the time.

Id like to think that I get my point across properly, but if your struggling to misunderstand what im saying due to my bad spelling/grammar then just say and ill try to correct myself and explain myself better.

If you can understand what I am trying to say though, which im sure someone of your ability and understanding can, then I don't really see the necessity to be word perfect, as it still does the same job.

If you bring a pig into a stable, it doesn't make it a horse, its still a pig. Likewise if I sugarcoat my arguments and points with perfect grammar and spelling, it doesn't make my points any better, they are still exactly the same.

Magicfeet, please find one point in this thread that I considered or called myself intelligent. :roll:

I have an IQ of 143 yes. You may consider that to be intelligent. I don't. I don't think of myself been intelligent, i don't think im a moron, but i don't think im the next logical genius. Im interested as to know your IQ, you doubt my intelligence because of my spelling, i doubt yours because you fail to correctly understand, what I thought, and what everyone else appears to think, as easy to understand points, even if they are poorly written.

Im sorry if im incorrect, but you sound more like a spiteful child whos upset because I maybe got a higher IQ score than you. If thats not the case then im sorry, but thats very much how your coming across because your assuming I think I have a "Super-high IQ" when I clearly don't.

Is my grammar really that bad though? I tend to rush my posts not looking over what ive wrote as to save time but if you want me to improve desperately then ill start taking my time and putting effort into making my posts more legible.

The mark of a good scientist is how bad his spelling is.

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

The point is.. There are so many skills nowadays more important than Intelligence, and GRAMMAR, that people shouldn't be worrying about it anyway..

Worry about charisma, worry about emotional intelligence, worry about knowing whats happening in the world, worry about getting girls, about building self-belief, etc.

These skills will all get you much further in life, than a high IQ, which is almost as good as nothing if you lack many skills..

To have it in your arsenal, is a plus, but if its all you have your pretty much fu**ed.

Its like a football coach asks you?
Can you run fast? NO
Can you dribble? NO
Can you lob the ball? NO
Can you head the ball? No
So what can you do? --- I can shoot penalties like a god..

Its almost useless on its own.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post

I agree with you, its worthless having any skill in the world if its the only thing you have.

But the point i was making was that most of the time, people with high IQ's are very good at other things such as science and math which will get you somewhere in life.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 May 2009, 05:34

Post

klc123 wrote:I don't hate you.

I will be the first person to tell you that I have poor grammar and spelling.

However, intelligence has nothing to do with how good you are at spelling and how long you spent revising grammar rules in school. Ive never had the time or passion for perfect English like you evidently do have, so im most definitely going to be wrong alot of the time.

Id like to think that I get my point across properly, but if your struggling to misunderstand what im saying due to my bad spelling/grammar then just say and ill try to correct myself and explain myself better.

If you can understand what I am trying to say though, which im sure someone of your ability and understanding can, then I don't really see the necessity to be word perfect, as it still does the same job.

If you bring a pig into a stable, it doesn't make it a horse, its still a pig. Likewise if I sugarcoat my arguments and points with perfect grammar and spelling, it doesn't make my points any better, they are still exactly the same.

Magicfeet, please find one point in this thread that I considered or called myself intelligent. :roll:

I have an IQ of 143 yes. You may consider that to be intelligent. I don't. I don't think of myself been intelligent, i don't think im a moron, but i don't think im the next logical genius. Im interested as to know your IQ, you doubt my intelligence because of my spelling, i doubt yours because you fail to correctly understand, what I thought, and what everyone else appears to think, as easy to understand points, even if they are poorly written.

Im sorry if im incorrect, but you sound more like a spiteful child whos upset because I maybe got a higher IQ score than you. If thats not the case then im sorry, but thats very much how your coming across because your assuming I think I have a "Super-high IQ" when I clearly don't.

Is my grammar really that bad though? I tend to rush my posts not looking over what ive wrote as to save time but if you want me to improve desperately then ill start taking my time and putting effort into making my posts more legible.

The mark of a good scientist is how bad his spelling is.
I'd be inclined to disagree with you a little bit here klc

While you might not think that spelling and grammar are too important and that you can get your point across without it being perfect, spelling stuff correctly etc does tend to add more weight to your argument. Again, while spelling and grammar aren't sole indicators of intelligence, they do help to add to the authority of your argument or whatever you happen to be writing- whether it's a history essay or a debate on an internet forum etc... Basically it just makes it easier to read and understand, and adds more weight to your points- they aren't diluted by the reader trying to make sense of what is written, they will more likely have the impact you intend them to have.

As you said though, obviously it's pretty pointless being able to string a coherant sentance together if you can't do anything else- but there is a reason why spelling and grammar etc are pushed so much in primary school etc (along with maths... Ugh... :roll: )

My old science teacher would have agreed with your point about the mark of a good scientist being their bad spelling- he would frequently shout out (after we point out a spelling mistake in his notes) "I'm not an England teacher!!!" :D
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better


Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

klc123 wrote:I agree with you, its worthless having any skill in the world if its the only thing you have.

But the point i was making was that most of the time, people with high IQ's are very good at other things such as science and math which will get you somewhere in life.
Thats not what I said.. There are other skills that just being strong in that, will get you very far in life.. While having a high IQ only, wont. Take self-belief for example.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

NewBornProdigy
Admin
Posts: 2695
Joined: 23 May 2008, 19:51

Post

panchester07 wrote:Thats not what I said.. There are other skills that just being strong in that, will get you very far in life.. While having a high IQ only, wont. Take self-belief for example.
Just cause you have a High IQ doesn't mean your an academic genius or indeed a nerd... It just means you have a large intelligence capacity (the foundation of all other intelligence's to grow upon)

For example my IQ is 148 (last time I checked which was last year sometime) but I never really excelled in school, was always far better at Arts, Sports and Practical stuff... like I suck (horribly) at Maths and Languages

Einstein had a 180 IQ (that is an obese brain if I ever heard of one) but appartenly he couldn't spell 'yes' backward, but still was a revolutionary mathamatician and scientist

Point being IQ is trustworthy enough, but not directly applicable to school or anything in general, it depends largely on the personality the brain is controlled by

For example my girlfriends brother is a builder and has a 172 IQ...
Society needs a mix of people...We need people to be rediculously clever to do the complex and knowledgable jobs and to discover things to help society, and we need the people who don't care to be the workers and do the more menial tasks for us, there would be no point having a society of people all IQ 200 if 70% of them were needed to do labour work, their brains would be wasted, likewise if everyone was a neanderthal then we would have absolutely no technology or knowledge
Ha its very very harsh presuming everyone without a high end job is a neanderathal... Henry Ford was just a mechanic... Without his genius the super intelligent doctors would have to walk to work... classy

Innovation and Intelligence is very prominent in all humans, but its not fair or even remotely intelligent to presume that academic success's equate to intelligent ability

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

NewBornProdigy wrote:
panchester07 wrote:Thats not what I said.. There are other skills that just being strong in that, will get you very far in life.. While having a high IQ only, wont. Take self-belief for example.
Just cause you have a High IQ doesn't mean your an academic genius or indeed a nerd... It just means you have a large intelligence capacity (the foundation of all other intelligence's to grow upon)

For example my IQ is 148 (last time I checked which was last year sometime) but I never really excelled in school, was always far better at Arts, Sports and Practical stuff... like I suck (horribly) at Maths and Languages

Einstein had a 180 IQ (that is an obese brain if I ever heard of one) but appartenly he couldn't spell 'yes' backward, but still was a revolutionary mathamatician and scientist

Point being IQ is trustworthy enough, but not directly applicable to school or anything in general, it depends largely on the personality the brain is controlled by

For example my girlfriends brother is a builder and has a 172 IQ...
Society needs a mix of people...We need people to be rediculously clever to do the complex and knowledgable jobs and to discover things to help society, and we need the people who don't care to be the workers and do the more menial tasks for us, there would be no point having a society of people all IQ 200 if 70% of them were needed to do labour work, their brains would be wasted, likewise if everyone was a neanderthal then we would have absolutely no technology or knowledge
Ha its very very harsh presuming everyone without a high end job is a neanderathal... Henry Ford was just a mechanic... Without his genius the super intelligent doctors would have to walk to work... classy

Innovation and Intelligence is very prominent in all humans, but its not fair or even remotely intelligent to presume that academic success's equate to intelligent ability
What are you :o :shock:
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

NewBornProdigy
Admin
Posts: 2695
Joined: 23 May 2008, 19:51

Post

Sorry I arsed that up a bit, my girlfriends brothers IQ is 132 haha

Hugh
Veteran Member
Posts: 2863
Joined: 20 Jan 2007, 20:26
Location: Vancouver

Post

NewBornProdigy wrote:Ha its very very harsh presuming everyone without a high end job is a neanderathal... Henry Ford was just a mechanic... Without his genius the super intelligent doctors would have to walk to work... classy

Innovation and Intelligence is very prominent in all humans, but its not fair or even remotely intelligent to presume that academic success's equate to intelligent ability
No, their cars would just be more expensive. Assuming that no one else got the idea to build cars using the production line process.

Also, don't believe the bulls**t people say about einstein getting D's in school, it's not true, he was always extremely smart, people just like to pretend that he got bad grades so that they don't have to admit that their own children are morons.

Gauss could kick einstein's ass with one hand behind his back anyway.

foodsample
Senior Member
Posts: 105
Joined: 31 Jul 2009, 23:42

Post

Also. The education system in Einsteins time was terrible, and inconsistent. Even today, the public school system in ineffective, its impossible to judge such aspects because you don't know what the standards were then.
"Y lo uvieras pegado al uno o dos que te salian?"
"O la hubiese tirado a la mierda, como lo hago siempre"

Mascherano ftw!

"Focus on the effort, not the results.. then results will come"

Live by it

terminator
Senior Member
Posts: 161
Joined: 30 May 2008, 14:01

Post

I was wondering...how does one define intelligence?

Wikipedia defines it as "Intelligence is an umbrella term describing a property of the mind comprehending related abilities, such as the capacities for abstract thought, reasoning, planning, problem solving, speech, and learning."

SO why can't someone who doesn't know how to do calculus but is excellent with chicks be considered intelligence? Calculus involves problem solving but doesn't getting chicks as well? I mean like, "Getting this hot chick" can also be considered a "problem".

This is just what I think intuitively. I think there are many many types of intelligence. One person might be better in one form of intelligence(e.g doing math) than the another person's. The other person would be better in another form of intelligence(e.g getting chicks). BUT overall they would have equal intelligence.

I agree with NBP...IQ probably just approximately measures "capacity".And I think that "capacity" can be changed with time although I can't prove that.

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post

Einstein was 160 not 180 btw.

We're closing in on him Newborn :twisted:

Einstein was a genius, he just never asserted himself properly. I can't remember what he was working as, but he was not a physian during his early ideas, its just he was the only one revolutionary enough to come up with the ideas he came up with, that are yet to be proven wrong.

NewBornProdigy
Admin
Posts: 2695
Joined: 23 May 2008, 19:51

Post

Hugh wrote:No, their cars would just be more expensive. Assuming that no one else got the idea to build cars using the production line process.
Fair enough.

But the point still stands, Innovation and Intelligence are not always (or pehaps usually) a result of Education or Academics
Hugh wrote:Also, don't believe the bulls**t people say about einstein getting D's in school, it's not true, he was always extremely smart, people just like to pretend that he got bad grades so that they don't have to admit that their own children are morons
I know he was good in school (apparentley outstanding in maths and physics) but I heard he sucked in English and German

Then again your probably correct with the bolded writing
Einstein was 160 not 180 btw
Just looked it up, found out he never took and IQ test, people estimate he was between 160 and 180... But he could have been 60 or 263598... we'll never know haha

bsc
Veteran Member
Posts: 872
Joined: 31 Mar 2008, 16:54
Location: University of Delaware

Post

Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

Locked