IQ - Intelligence quotient

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
klc123
Veteran Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post in a long time as I have been very busy with football and college. I recently done an IQ evaluation and got a score of 143.

So everyone feel free to post your scores, if you done your IQ test on the internet however, make sure to say so in your post as internet tests are said to be as much as 15% inaccurate which is a massive amount of deviation, and makes your results less valid.

panchester07
Veteran Member

klc123 wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first post in a long time as I have been very busy with football and college. I recently done an IQ evaluation and got a score of 143.

So everyone feel free to post your scores, if you done your IQ test on the internet however, make sure to say so in your post as internet tests are said to be as much as 15% inaccurate which is a massive amount of deviation, and makes your results less valid.
I did my IQ test in 2006, when I was 4 years younger (duh)..

I obtained a result of 128 - "above average"... I did it with a proffesional doctor so, its not (i hope not) innacurate

Probably now it would be higher, as the test included vocabulary words, and some skills that now I think I can resolve with more easiness...

But maybe not..

To be honest I don't really care, I don't think Intelligence is that important, much more important is emotional intelligence, confidence, the ability to think with your feet on the ground, etc..

Intelligence wont get you friends
Intelligence wont get you laid
Intelligence wont help you win an argument

Basically book smart vs smart in real life..

The list continues, I really think your IQ result is just a reflection of how good you can do in school, but then again, the guy with the highest grade in the school, was the dumbest mofo in real life, and even in the class room, he just ate books all day...

My point, you can make it up by working hard, and having other abilites.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

shahensha
Veteran Member

That is true. IQ is too narrow in this day and age. There are many different forms of intelligence. There may be a fellow who is excellent in mathematics and logical thinking but he may fall short in comparison to a charismatic fellow who can be a crowd pulling leader with the ability to know what to say and when to say things to people.

There may be an airhead in traditional terms due to bad vocabulary skills but a brilliant artist at the same time or a "stupid" athelete who has the remarkable ability to read the game as it is played and come up with a strategy to over come the situation at hand.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Thats some true stuff Shahensa..

There is this guy I know, and known for ages... He played football with us since we were little... He is dumb as wood, can't think to logical, doesn't see reality as it is, is crazy, and is a showman (like he loves attention, in a disccssion he would involve everybody and start yelling)...

My point, in school he was dumb, he had to go to a low level school to finish because he repeated years, and was about to repeat again untill he swtiched, day to day he is dumb, he would probably get a 90 in the IQ test if lucky..

Guess what though he is 20 years old, lives on his own in the most expensive neighborhood of the city, has 2 cars, and is making money constantly, he owns 2-3 apartments that he rents to people and makes money out of real estate... He lost like 80 pounds and now is a professional wrestler, 2 times world champion (show wrestling like WCW type).......

You can look him up, his name is AP Dynamite, I was with him last night, we where having drinks and listening to him we where all like "this dumbass is succesful in life", then I realized that with his levels of confidence he can do anything, he doens't need a high or even average IQ.. He believes in himself so much, and has a vision the fool has his life resolved for him.. Its much like a young kid, when you are 5, you don't ask any questions you just go play if you see other kids having fun, you just tease that girl you like, you just punch that annoying kid no matter if he's 60 pounds heavier, he is much like that, not asking questions..

IQ = nothing

In fact, whatever the IQ measures, could be worked on, so you can naturally, or when the test was taken have a 102 IQ, but then work in mathematics, literature, and logical thinking, and guess what next time you'll have a 115 maybe..

And you can have a 140, and lack the balls to make a move when the times right..

Has anyone seen the "Diesel" adversting -Be stupid-? Its basic and general, but it has a point:

Magicfeet

panchester07 wrote:Probably now it would be higher, as the test included vocabulary words, and some skills that now I think I can resolve with more easiness...
IQ tests only measure a very small part of overall intelligence, as your example here (partially) shows. The tests are usually much weighted towards a certain cultural background as well (they used to be anyway... I haven't seen one in years).

Pattern recognition and the like is all well and good though. I haven't done an IQ test in about 10 years but I recall scoring pretty well last time around. Not brilliantly... but above average.

The most succesful people I know IRL are pretty ignorant. They just bludgeon people with their idiocy and somehow get their way all the time. In my opinion, the most important skill in life is being a good communicator - Having that one skill will take you a long way in most careers.

klc123
Veteran Member

Your IQ does not change as you get older or younger, you are supposedly born with intelligence, although you aquire knowledge through time, that is a completely different kettle of fish.

Im not saying that you need high IQ to be successful in life, but it is fact that generally people with higher IQ have higher up jobs such as been a scientist or a doctor. Thats not to say that you can't be successful if your not intelligent, my dad is very successful in business because hes good at that sort of thing, but i would never select him for a team of physists to come up with a general theory for the universe.

Been smart as in IQ and been "street smart" are completely different things by the way. Your born intelligent, or supposedly according to many scientists and many studies. Been streetwise is something you aquire through experience and knowledge, you are taught it, and in that sense, anyone can aquire streetsense reguardless of how clever you are. Generally people from more working class backrounds, especially those who are financially deprived or basically live in a sh**hole will be more streetwise than someone who has come from a wealthy family who owns their own island.

In terms of IQ values been useless, thats incorrect. Yes there are some people who have rediculously high IQs and are of no use to the world because of their attitude to life, but generally you will find people like that are either like that because they were not brought up to value things and do things properly or that they are on the autistic scale to a degree where they are incapable of doing anything productively.

Besides that, the worlds greatest thinkers have all have brilliantly high IQs, Einstein and Stephen Hawkings, Da Vinci they reckon had an IQ of over a 150 also. There isn't a coincidence that some of the best and smartest people in the world have all had IQ, that is obvious because IQ is a measure of intelligence, and someone who is rediculously intelligent is more likely to think of something brilliant.

In terms of your wrestling friend, he is successful, but you don't have to be intelligent to be successful, as i have already pointed out, nor do you necessarily have to be succesful if you are intelligent.

I find it rediculously anoying when companies advertise stupid things like that and promote been stupid over been smart. I personally believe that our lack of intelligent people and our lack of people who wish to be smart or atleast sensible is the reason the world is in such sh*t shape as it is now. Morons who don't think before acting who have somehow stumbled into power over countries is a major reason of war, Cough Cough Bush Cough Cough.

Be spontaneous, be romantic, have fun, they are all brilliant things, but don't purposely be a idiotic moron that is as productive as a cloud of fart.

And no, its not thought possible to improve your intelligence, IQ tests are derived in a way so that anyone of any age can finish them and its thought that the way the brain works is that your intelligence is something you are born with and that its part of your personality, you can try and mask your real intelligence by pretending to be stupider or smarter, but the end result is when you take an IQ test you will always be the same.

Magicfeet

klc123 wrote:IQ tests are derived in a way so that anyone of any age can finish them and its thought that the way the brain works is that your intelligence is something you are born with and that its part of your personality, you can try and mask your real intelligence by pretending to be stupider or smarter, but the end result is when you take an IQ test you will always be the same.
10 second Google search for sample IQ test questions reveals...
(1) Rearrange the following letters to make a word and choose the category in which it fits.

RAPETEKA

A. city
B. fruit
C. bird
D. vegetable

Correct answer: bird (parakeet)
(2) Find the answer that best completes the analogy

languages : meaning :: philology :

A. erudition
B. philosophy
C. ethics
D. semantics
E. grammar

Correct answer: semantics
2 verbal questions from IQ tests... and both are based on knowledge, rather than reasoning. Now, it's questions like these that still find their way onto a number of IQ tests but aren't strictly fair.... a 25 year old is likely to fair better with these questions than a 14 year old, simply due to greater wealth of knowledge.

klc123
Veteran Member

IQ tests from internet are very dodgy and give false readings 99% of the time. Especially ones that come up when you search on google.

Proper IQ tests don't involve knowledge questions.

Magicfeet

Link me to a "proper" IQ test, kind sir. One that doesn't involve any knowledge questions.

EDIT: Not that this is intended to disprove anything, given that I think IQ tests are largely redundant. Here's a question from a Mensa intelligence test...

What is the following word when it is unscrambled?

H C P R A A T E U
Again, verbal knowledge is required to answer this. If you have a small vocabulary, you haven't got a hope of solving a question such as this. Now I haven't taken the Mensa exam, but I imagine it uses a similar format in "formal" IQ tests... would you regard a Mensa IQ test as dodgy?

panchester07
Veteran Member

Magicfeet is right Klc, show me 1 IQ test that doesn't have knowledge questions.. In fact even the math and logic parts are harder for younger lads, and easier for older mates hahahah (i love speaking like that).

I've done these tests all my life, I was obsesed with intelligence when I was younger and every single one I've done ask some type of knowledge questions...

Common sense is important, and that is one thing the IQ test evaluates. But today, and back in the day as well there are other abilities that are much more important to be succesfull.. I have dumb ass friends that are studying in Duke, you can do anything without needing to have good intelligence.. If my friend didn't have other life skills though, like vision, the ability to prepare and organize his studies, he wouldn't ever be in duke..

Either way, If I was told to chose between an above average intelligence, or an above average courage I would chose the courage every damn time..

Replace courage with ambition, with determination, with other things I would still chose the others..

Last, smart people tend to think to much, thats why everywhere else outside a classroom, and even in the classroom at times, they are big fat losers.. They tend to analize every situation like if it was a "scientific process", when 97% of the time its not supposed to.

You can prove an apple falls from a tree with a formula? Great I discovered that the first day I was alive. In a job, in a social setting, in a dangerous situation, no body cares - its never as important- to have mathematical or scientific abilites, people are gonna hire optimisits, hard workers, confident, brave, emotionally intelligent people everyday before people with high IQ's

klc123
Veteran Member

Meh, the one i done was not on the internet, it was on paper and was timed.

The questions were all very basic. Obviously a 5 year old would struggle with it because they cannot read the questions correctly, but besides that, if you could read properly, you could do the test i done perfectly fine.

Questions like, Which of the following groups of words has a common link between each word and then one of the groups of words would all have words of 5 letters and you would tick that group of words to get the answer right. Type of questions like that, but they slowly grew more and more difficult as you progressed untill it took quite an amount of brain power to understand.

I don't think IQ tests are invaluable, they are a good indication of your intelligence and that is always a good thing, someone who is intelligent will generally pick up information quicker or have certain aspects of knowledge that they find very easy to pick up.

Without sounding arrogant, i have a high IQ and i find that i learn and retain information much quicker and easier than everyone else at my college. Whether this is a fluke or not im not sure but i find it great been able to skim read text books and get enough information out of it to get an A.

In terms of practise, the test is worthless, most tests are done to see if you have learnt or practised something enough to get it right/at a good level, IQ on the otherhand cannot be taught or improved.

Just as a side note. I heard that to get into Cambridge medical school, you have to do an IQ test and get over 110 (be in the top 40% intelligence of the population) so incases like that, IQ is worth a hell of a lot of importance.

And all due respect panchester, but you can't say that science is worthless. Yes its obvious that apples fall from trees, but no one had a clue how or why it did. Having the mentality of "i don't need to know how something works i just need to know it does work" isn't that good...

Yes been optimistic and happy will get you ok jobs, but when your at the high end spectrum of jobs in society, like been a doctor or been a scientist, you have to be smart, and no offense, but someone who finds a cure for cancer is much more benefit to the world than someone who happily stacks shelfs in asda all day, even if they are a book worm. Without the brainboxes and people with High IQs, the world would not be as technical as it is today, infact if everyone had the mentality of "i don't give a sh*t about science" like you then we would still be in the stoneage.

Society needs a mix of people...We need people to be rediculously clever to do the complex and knowledgable jobs and to discover things to help society, and we need the people who don't care to be the workers and do the more menial tasks for us, there would be no point having a society of people all IQ 200 if 70% of them were needed to do labour work, their brains would be wasted, likewise if everyone was a neanderthal then we would have absolutely no technology or knowledge.

Magicfeet

Disagree with a lot of that.

Also, despite your IQ, methinks you need to work on your grammar somewhat. :wink:

Hugh
Veteran Member

klc123 wrote:Just as a side note. I heard that to get into Cambridge medical school, you have to do an IQ test and get over 110 (be in the top 40% intelligence of the population) so incases like that, IQ is worth a hell of a lot of importance.
Actually I think they want you to take the MCAT

And panchester, I agree that the IQ test is not a good indicator of your intelligence at all but I don't agree that you can do anything without needing to be intelligent, case in point I need to be a lot more intelligent to understand what's going on in my complex number theory course than I am right now.

And no, in a job it is especially important to have those math skills, my job this summer is based around my math and problem solving abilities, sure, I wouldn't have gotten past the interview if I was socially inept but I sure as sh*t wouldn't have even gotten to it if they didn't know that I was intelligent.

As for smart people being big fat losers, you should really meet the physics department, nearly all of us play competitive sports and half of us are on varsity teams, there are musicians, skateboarders, rock climbers even ballet dancers who are all very smart, very competitive and are all great at what they do.

I have met way more "losers" who were academically slow than vice versa

panchester07
Veteran Member

Fair enough man.. Its not more important than any other ability, but not less important.. I think thats a valid statement..

The thing is, you don't need an above averaga IQ to get through life fairly well and live a happy succesfull life..

Other thins are more important to be succesful, and say if you have above average emotional intelligence you will be much more succesful if you have an above average iq..

soccer11
Admin

Magicfeet wrote:Disagree with a lot of that.

Also, despite your IQ, methinks you need to work on your grammar somewhat. :wink:
haha I've been wanting to say something about that but I've been holding my tongue as to not be an assh**e. Thanks for taking the initiative Magicfeet :P