The Truth about Nike

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
MANUMAN30

The Truth about Nike

Post by MANUMAN30 » 09 Mar 2010, 05:47

When we get online or go to the local soccer shop, we know which brands to look for when going for the best merchandise: Nike, Adidas, Puma, Umbro, etc. But when we start to look at who is actually producing these shoes and what kind of businesses they are running, we need to stop and think. Quickly. Our society is obsessed with the consumption of goods that we would love to think come from the fairy-tale land where magical inventors create these one-of-a-kind materials, but this is not the truth. We need to start to see exactly where our precious products are coming from.

These two links are both run by Jim Keady, a retired professional soccer player that realized how big businesses were abusing human rights across seas in order to make huge profits. This first link is his documentary on what he has done and seen about Nike and their sweatshops; the second is his website.

http://vimeo.com/6109896
http://www.teamsweat.org/

Please just watch this documentary, because even though people today may feel that this is irrelevant and has already been solved, it hasn't.
Glory Glory Man Utd!

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 09 Mar 2010, 06:25

As horrible as this might sound, this doesn't affect my decision of buying Nike products or brand named goods. Simple fact is, the world is built on money,lowering expense, and increasing profit. If companies lose that ability then prices sky rocket and severely cripple consumers. If all manufacturing plants were to pay their employees the minimum wage, companies would have to up the prices of the price of the product. Might as well convert democracies to communism to balance out the social classes to afford products then. I could argue the topic for ages...but thats my view. Exploitation of workers is a necessary evil in the world.

udinese20

Post by udinese20 » 09 Mar 2010, 07:23

A lot of companies used to and still do exploit wage differences and low manufacturing costs in developing countries, not just Nike. Since the 90's Nike has improved a lot of those factories (in which they own very few) by raising the wages above the minimum wage level is numerous countries, allowing random inspections by the Fair Labor Association and creating their own team of workers who work with the laborers in trying to improve their working environment and hear what they have to say.

MANUMAN30

Post by MANUMAN30 » 10 Mar 2010, 00:13

Zlatan5 wrote:As horrible as this might sound, this doesn't affect my decision of buying Nike products or brand named goods. Simple fact is, the world is built on money,lowering expense, and increasing profit. If companies lose that ability then prices sky rocket and severely cripple consumers. If all manufacturing plants were to pay their employees the minimum wage, companies would have to up the prices of the price of the product. Might as well convert democracies to communism to balance out the social classes to afford products then. I could argue the topic for ages...but thats my view. Exploitation of workers is a necessary evil in the world.
do you honestly think that if huge companies like Nike increased the wages of their oppressed workers in foreign countries by a dollar or two, that the prices in the united states, UK, etc. would spike significantly? its not that they need ten more dollars, but businesses like these are paying their workers way below the money needed to live a decent life. If corporations were to increase the cost of products by about five dollars each (depending on how much the product costs in the first place), and they gave $2.50 of that increase to increase their worker's wages, then these laborers would have a $1-2 boost to their daily income. This would actually be doubling their income per day, which is a significant increase when living in the conditions that they are living in. I don't think that anyone would mind paying five dollars more for nice boots in order to help a lot of people overseas working as labor for factories like Nike. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy Nike products, but i feel that the general public does not know what is going on over there. It may be true that Nike has boosted the wages in SOME COUNTRIES. They have around 37 contract factories worldwide, and i believe that only increasing the wages in some of them is not enough progress to be okay with.
Glory Glory Man Utd!

FuturProo1996
Sophomore Member

Post by FuturProo1996 » 10 Mar 2010, 03:41

i dun care what the workers go thru as long as i get my preddators

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 10 Mar 2010, 06:24

Companies like Nike pay more than most jobs in those nations and treat their employee's better (provide better working conditions etc). They might not be what would fly here (in wages and such) but it is better than the average there.

And yes, if they raised wages prices would increase. If it cost $10 to make a shoe (material, wages, shipping, packaging, advertising, etc) they won't sell it to stores for less than a __% mark-up. and the store they sell them to isn't going to sell them for more than a __% mark-up. If wages raise everything raises (I don't know the actual statistics, but they're out there)

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 10 Mar 2010, 09:14

FuturProo1996 wrote:i dun care what the workers go thru as long as i get my preddators
YEAHOK...cause were talking about adidas.

keller8
Veteran Member

Post by keller8 » 10 Mar 2010, 09:55

Zlatan5 wrote:
FuturProo1996 wrote:i dun care what the workers go thru as long as i get my preddators
Mattsta-"There would be no point in freestyle if we knew all the tricks from the start. The fact that we had to practise to get them pays off because in the end we have earnt it."

FuturProo1996
Sophomore Member

Post by FuturProo1996 » 10 Mar 2010, 21:17

were talking about adidas.
nah dis is a nike topic dude

dream_on_go_pro

Post by dream_on_go_pro » 10 Mar 2010, 21:34

FuturProo1996 wrote:

:roll: If none of you have noticed he was being sarcastic...

FuturProo1996 wrote:
YOU said predators when this was a topic about nike. predators=adidas. So all of you are sounding really dumb trying to make fun of zlatan when he was clearly sarcastic about a dumb comment.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 10 Mar 2010, 22:21

I thinks Predators are the perfect example actually. The production costs of the top or "best" predators are IDENTICAL to the costs of the second best in the range yet are DOUBLE the price, that kind of blows your profit margin affecting price arguement out of the water. If they paid all their slaves (or employees incase I get sued) ten times as much they would still make a huge profit on each item but thats not the way of the world.

ALSO, have any of you ever wondered why in the last decade preds have gone from £80 in my lifetime to £140 for the latest one now? There was a time when paying over £100 for a pair of boots would be ridiculed.

So why have they gone up? Inflation is about 4% not 80%, and im certain production costs havnt increased by 500%, its all profit, so dont for one second say its neccessary your just makingyourself look silly.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Evan
Veteran Member

Post by Evan » 10 Mar 2010, 22:26

So all of you are sounding really dumb trying to make fun of zlatan when he was clearly sarcastic about a dumb comment.
Keller was facepalm-ing FuturProo's post, not Zlatan's...I believe you may be the dumb one. Good job. :lol:
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 10 Mar 2010, 22:31

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 10 Mar 2010, 23:58

I have to say thats not entirely correct scotty. As far as I know the "best" predators use more expesive materials and are higher quality (which is why your $80 boots last a season and your $200 boot has been around for 4 years.

The price charged by your local soccer shop or website also is where all that is coming from. I know someone who works at a shop and I think he said the $200 preds cost $60 for the shop. That means $140 is what the shop is charging. You mension inflation isn't up 80%, but expenses for the bussiness as a whole are higher than 4% of what they use to be. Electricity, fuel, rent, etc, etc, etc has all gone up significantly. Whats sad is that shops selling those boots for $140 profit are barely making a profit after all their expenses are trough.

(I'm not standing by the $60 and$140 numbers as it was a long time ago, but they're in the ball park)

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 11 Mar 2010, 00:06

What im saying is, the better materials cost exactly the same as the inferior ones.

The $60 boot cost adidas the same as the $200 ones to produce, its not about the shops that physically sell them.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.