team mates generalising and being d"cks

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
footy_oaf

team mates generalising and being d"cks

Post by footy_oaf » 26 Oct 2009, 23:09

ok, please i need some help, i can now see how much your mind affects your playing.

ok, just a wee bit of backround: 2 (12 years old then) years ago i moved from my country Argentina to Manchester. while in Argentina i didnt play football, and when i meved here i thouht "well i am argentine, i better play like one" so i started playing, and i discovered it was amazing, etc etc..

now, this is my second season with a last division u15 team and i never start lol. some of my teammates, especially one of them, annoy me. this is the kind of thing he says: "hes not argentine, he wants to be, but e is too bad (at football)" or "you arent argentine, you cant even keep the ball up". at school its more like "haha youre an immigrant" but as a joke, not a snide remark like my teammate.

its mostly what my temmate generalises argentines and puts me down that really makes me crap when we play. it makes me feel that im not up to my countrys standard, that im under-achieving, it gives me too much pressure to do better so my confidence goes down..

i know im better than most my team, but when i play with them i go shy, my confidence goes down, i do worse, and they insult me more. i know im better, but i feel that what he is saying is essentially true.. people expect south americans (brazilians and argentines) to be top player in the team, and im in the bench. i know that with confidence i would start, but i dont, im on the bench, and he is one of the star players, so he compares me to the stereotipical argentine to make me feel bad

i cant just ignore him and get on with it, as all the evidence points to that he is right.
btw he also goes on about how he is brazilian cause he believes he is sooo skillful

someone please tell me how to get back on form, mentally, becouse im at an alltime low. when i sort this out i can really concentrate on proving him wrong, so please, someone ive mea way to let his comments bounce off me

thank yyou for taking your time to read my ranting on lol

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Re: team mates generalising and being d"cks

Post by Davidson9 » 27 Oct 2009, 02:47

footy_oaf wrote:so i started playing, and i discovered it was amazing, etc etc..

now, this is my second season with a last division u15 team and i never start lol
yahuh?

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Re: team mates generalising and being d"cks

Post by pickyourheadup » 27 Oct 2009, 03:04

Davidson9 wrote:
footy_oaf wrote:so i started playing, and i discovered it was amazing, etc etc..

now, this is my second season with a last division u15 team and i never start lol
yahuh?
No wonder you have 33 (1 rated) votes :lol:

Anyway, footy_oaf. Maybe you should try to live up to his expectations. Practicing on your own and improving everyday (I doubt your teammates will practice as hard as you do :wink: ), will help build your confidence. What he is doing, however, is not the way to treat teammates.
Negativety is felt throughout the team. Talk to your coach about his actions.

Example of what practice does: When I played travel and started actually practicing on my own a lot, I'd notice I was better than several players all of a sudden. Then, I practiced more and became better than everyone but 1 player.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

footy_oaf

Post by footy_oaf » 27 Oct 2009, 10:43

thanks, pickyourheadup

ill practice very very hard every day, and my goal will be to just prove that guy wrong, and to actually start :D.
do you think i should take a little break off the team (like till the end of our season) so i can train with less pressure on me, you know, take a break from the team for just a few months, and i can focus entirely on my own training??

thanks again man :D

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 27 Oct 2009, 14:28

No, practicing in team situations is also key to improving. I'm assuming you guys practice 3 times a week with 2 hours for each practice? This will still leave you time on the weekend and two other days to practice on your own.

Use the skills you learn from practicing on your own in team practice. I.e.: Passing with your weak foot

footy_oaf

Post by footy_oaf » 27 Oct 2009, 17:40

haha, i wish we practiced as much, but like all the local clubs (that ive found) we only train 1 hr a week, which is what makes me think that i aint missing much if i just leave.

im always in awe of how most people in forums find amateur kids teams (u15s?) that actually train properly (like 3-6 hrs a week) and yet there arent none in my area. lol

anyways, bearing the fact that we only train 1 hr per week, do you think i should leave for a bit?

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 27 Oct 2009, 17:49

You should definitely stay if you only train 1 hour a week. Individual training can only get you so far, which is why team practice is important.
The rest of the time you can practice and workout on your own.

Maybe you could get the players you do get along with and stay after practice to train more?

footy_oaf

Post by footy_oaf » 28 Oct 2009, 18:40

ok thank you i wont leave the team. :D

i would but the floodlights turn off when we finish. ah well, we can just meat up at the park or sumthing :D

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 29 Oct 2009, 02:12

footy_oaf wrote:ok thank you i wont leave the team. :D

i would but the floodlights turn off when we finish. ah well, we can just meat up at the park or sumthing :D
meat up like throwing pieces of meat at each other?

footy_oaf

Post by footy_oaf » 05 Nov 2009, 16:22

lmao wtf nick117 lol
btw sorry for teh useless post, but just had to

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 05 Nov 2009, 23:04

footy_oaf wrote:lmao wtf nick117 lol
he said meat not meet.

mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint » 06 Nov 2009, 00:22

nick117 wrote:
footy_oaf wrote:lmao wtf nick117 lol
he said meat not meet.
well he just misspelt it wrong thats all.
i was made to ignite

foodsample

Post by foodsample » 06 Nov 2009, 02:05

Playing in Miami, as a Caucasian, I definitely get alot of heat when I play soccer. This only drives me harder when I am training, and I am constantly working on my technique in my spare time. I have been running x-country, and track in the off-season to improve myself physically, and never give up a chance to shoot a ball off the wall when I have the chance. Recently I made my high school team, in the face of a couple kids who swore they were the top players here. I wouldn't say I overlook aspects of my game, but I have identified the strong points in my game, and based my style of play off them, and worked on my weak points, but know what I am weak at and although I spend a great deal of time in practice working on them, when I am playing, I play in a way that wont let opponents exploit them. However I have been told countless times by coaches, that although I don't possess the technical skills as other kids on the team, I do have outstanding attitude which is what leads to progressing to an all around footballer.

I know you to mean about stereotypes screwing with your mind, even if you know they don't mean it. But it is times like these that make or break people, not success. You need to decide if you are willing to stop making excuses, and pull out all the stops in order to improve. Remember the best players never stop trying to improve. The day you are satisfied with yourself is the day you hang up the boots. People who show up to play and make an amazing play did not just pull it out of their ass (usually), they practiced for hours alone, in order to gather up the ability to consistently execute such a maneuver, don't over analyze the situation, we both know what you need to do. Dont focus on results, FOCUS ON EFFORT, and results will come on their own.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 06 Nov 2009, 02:17

Playing in Miami, as a Caucasian, I definitely get alot of heat when I play soccer. This only drives me harder when I am training, and I am constantly working on my technique in my spare time. I have been running x-country, and track in the off-season to improve myself physically, and never give up a chance to shoot a ball off the wall when I have the chance. Recently I made my high school team, in the face of a couple kids who swore they were the top players here. I wouldn't say I overlook aspects of my game, but I have identified the strong points in my game, and based my style of play off them, and worked on my weak points, but know what I am weak at and although I spend a great deal of time in practice working on them, when I am playing, I play in a way that wont let opponents exploit them. However I have been told countless times by coaches, that although I don't possess the technical skills as other kids on the team, I do have outstanding attitude which is what leads to progressing to an all around footballer.

I know you to mean about stereotypes screwing with your mind, even if you know they don't mean it. But it is times like these that make or break people, not success. You need to decide if you are willing to stop making excuses, and pull out all the stops in order to improve. Remember the best players never stop trying to improve. The day you are satisfied with yourself is the day you hang up the boots. People who show up to play and make an amazing play did not just pull it out of their ass (usually), they practiced for hours alone, in order to gather up the ability to consistently execute such a maneuver, don't over analyze the situation, we both know what you need to do. Dont focus on results, FOCUS ON EFFORT, and results will come on their own.
Among the best posts I've seen in a while. Keep it up foodsample, and take a good look at this footy_oaf!
Last edited by pickyourheadup on 06 Nov 2009, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Post by INTER1908 » 06 Nov 2009, 02:17

foodsample wrote:Playing in Miami, as a Caucasian, I definitely get alot of heat when I play soccer. This only drives me harder when I am training, and I am constantly working on my technique in my spare time. I have been running x-country, and track in the off-season to improve myself physically, and never give up a chance to shoot a ball off the wall when I have the chance. Recently I made my high school team, in the face of a couple kids who swore they were the top players here. I wouldn't say I overlook aspects of my game, but I have identified the strong points in my game, and based my style of play off them, and worked on my weak points, but know what I am weak at and although I spend a great deal of time in practice working on them, when I am playing, I play in a way that wont let opponents exploit them. However I have been told countless times by coaches, that although I don't possess the technical skills as other kids on the team, I do have outstanding attitude which is what leads to progressing to an all around footballer.

Great post, you said it all.
Made by 2Brown.