Smart Cookie: What it takes to be a succesful student

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

There is no such thing as a problem without a gift. We seek problems because we need their gifts- Richard Bach

Over and Over again the most common problem mentioned by students is lack of motivation.”I can’t seem to get motivated” is a common excuse for also any school related problem. So, let’s figure out each and every single reason that has been keeping such bright kids like you from being a total success.

ELEVEN REASONS FOR LACK OF MOTIVATION

1. Lack of a Definite Goal

Why are you in school? Is it to become a doctor, lawyer, or engineer? Is it to increase your awareness of current events, real estate, or human nature? Whatever the reason you go to school, you still need to strive for a specific goal. If someone asked you to get into your car and start driving, you’d first say, “where to”? Threes not much point in getting into your car unless you’ve got a goal in mind. Your goal may be to go to the store, library or beach, but you need to know where before you start your engine. Students who lack a definite goal will find a weak incentive for excellence and their paths will often stray from the road to success.

2. Laziness
Often a product of many other factors, laziness is a habit that can cut short even the most promising career. Laziness often stems from negative surroundings, such as critical friends or relatives and a lack of definite goals. Laziness, the opposite of decision and action is the enemy every successful person must conquer. Successful students use their capacity to reach prompt and definite decisions, and are slow to change their minds. Failures ponder simple decisions endlessly and even then, change t heir minds often. Laziness is really the unwillingness to make a decision and the commitment to follow through. Until you have made a strong decision on exactly what your goals are, and committed yourself to achieving them, you can expect failure. Many students have made a strong decision on what they want. But the commitment to these goals is as important as establishing them. It’s not enough to say “I want an A in that class and will get one. You say, I will study ten hours a week if that’s what it takes to get that A. Therefore your first decision must be to conquer laziness

3. Poor Relationships
Analyze your current relationships with loved ones, family, and friends. Are they positive, encouraging, productive, and helpful? Or are hey negative, discouraging, and counter productive? If you constantly fight with or worry about your mate, your using up valuable time and energy? How about your mother and father? Do they encourage you or discourage you? Are they putting unnecessary pressure upon you to perform in school? You don’t need that. Either set them straight that it is your life, and your choices, or learn to cope better with their parenting role. How about your friends? Are they a joy to be with, positive about their lives, and undemanding of your time? If they are not, you need to make some changes. Poor relationships can ruin even the best student. Believe me I know, I have the worst parents, who forced me upon a situation beyond my control, I had crazy girls and guys stalk me all year around, everyone almost everyone I talked to wanted to get advantage of me, or attempted to, It didn’t work because well duh I’m smart, but the only thing that kept me going honestly, WAS ROMELEADER,AFC08,MINT ,and many of my other EF friends, I had no one to talk too, in a new school, with a shipload of changes, is been hard, very hard. Most of my friends fall under the negative relationship category. I honestly wouldn’t know what to do without ROMELEADER. He’s honestly one of my best friends, and the other person that pertains to him.

4. Poor Study Habits

Each year over one million students drop out of school. In college only one of three freshmen will graduate. One of the reasons for leaving most often mentioned is, “ I can’t keep up” Don’t fall into the same trap. If your study skills are weak, improve them! There are many ways you can go about it! Don’t write off a career because you can’t read or study well. The sad truth is that few schools teach study skills effectively. Some of the most valuable skills such as speed-reading, concentration, comprehension, memorizing, note taking, and analysis and problem solving are neglected. But they are available from private sources such as tutor’s, study groups, books and internet, learn these skills, and more important, use them.

5. Excessive Worry
Many Students waste hours and even days fretting and worrying over their school work or personal life. This expends energy that is necessary for other areas. The proper feeling should be concern: a normal, healthy and necessary caring for what you do. When you worry excessively you can become paralyzed by an upcoming event or obsessed by a current problem. If you can do something about a problem, go do it. If you can’t forget it easily, then STUDY NOW, and THINK LATER. When you worry excessively you can become paralyzed by an upcoming event or obsessed by a current problem.

6. Negative Personality traits

Of all the years of one’s life, those of greatest change are from ages 18-25 the “student” years. As rapid emotional, physical and social growth takes place, we must make adjustments in our self-image and lifestyle. Those who are unable or unwilling to make the adjustments, unable to “flow with” the changes may express their frustrations through other outlets, some of these outlets may be, shyness, sarcasm, criticism, withdrawal, guilt, listlessness or using alibis, all of these negative personality traits can make good study habits, difficult or impossible. Excessive shyness and withdrawn behavior may lead to criticism by other so unhealthy emotional growth, Sarcasm, though often used in fun, is a destructive and extremely negative habit. What’s worse is that sarcastic individuals often are unaware of the impact of their sharp comments. Guilt and criticism often go together. Highly critical individuals often vent their feelings through criticism of others directing the blame they deserve upon others. There are of course countless alibis that poor students use. Alibis are tools of those who do not wish to accept responsibility for their own lives. Alibis will always give a poor achiever justification for mediocrity. A student with negative personality traits always almost invites failure, figure out which is you out of these types and does something about it!

see 1 of 10 instigators:

1. Angry folks show few skills to tame their amygdala
2. Stubborn people often lack mental ability to let it go.
3. Fearful people tend to obsess over harm they fear facing.
4. Bullies rewire mentally and mistreat others for their way.
5. Unpredictable people tend to explode under pressure.
6. Misguided folks daily satisfy personal needs ahead of all.
7. Insincere people often speak words they rarely mean.
8. Complainers avoid solutions yet frame problems cynically.
9. Lamenters dwell on regrets for what could have been.
10. Victims use less intelligence yet blame others for most miseries.
Each of these firecrackers for war, rewire the human brain for more fire with every use. In similar ways, mental skills also rewire human brains to target agreement in disagreeable settings. Not that practiced warriors are easily moved toward peaceful resolutions. Just the opposite.

“a negative personality will surely bring failure:”
I am a failure
I’ll probably fail!
I might fail
I might as well give up
I’m hopeless”
Others get all the breaks!”

“ Negative personality traits can make good study habits difficult or impossible… Alibis will always give a poor achiever justification for mediocrity”

7. Outside
Everyone has only twenty four hours in a day, seven days in a week. Those who try to cram twenty-five hours into a twenty four hour day often become ineffective; most people try to do so many things at once that their scattered efforts cannot possibly be a s potent as if all of their efforts were focused on one activity. The mot common outside activities that inhibit student progress are belonging to too many clubs, watching too much television, spending to much time with friends and putting in excessive hours at work. Proper budgeting of time is essential for success. Or how you say TIME MANAGEMENT

8. Lack of role models and support
It takes a lot to be a great student. There are plenty of heartaches as well as good times. This means that you may need lots of encouragement, support and acknowledgment to keep you going. Sometimes parents or peers just don’t think about how tough it is for you and fail to give you the empathy, self confidence, and compliments to handle the high’s and lows, If this support is not present in your home environment ask f or it. IF you don’t have a quiet secluded study area, ask for it, you need it and you damn well deserve it.My role models are,everyone on EF! FERNANDO TORRES and ALBERT EINSTEIN.

9. Illness
Doctors and behaviorists estimate an incredible 70 to 95 percent of all illnesses are unintentionally self induced. The medical term psychosomatic includes an endless assortment of illnesses, which include stomachaches, migraine headaches, fevers and allergies. If you are consistently plagued by any of these illnesses, you need to look at why it happens. If you get a stomachache before studying, are you trying to avoid studying? If your health is not good, look for some reasons why. The reasons may not be purely physical. As children, we learned that being sick allowed us to stay home from school, miss assignments, and get pampered by our parents. There certainly were rewards for being sick, and some of those rewards till exist. You may be doing something similar now, whether consciously or subconsciously. Check your environment to see if there are any payoffs or benefits for your sickness. If so, you may be able to discover the true source of your illness and cure it. Persistent illness can cause missed classes and assignments, encouraging failure

10. Dull Classes OR Uninspiring Teachers
Unfortunately not every teacher you’ll have is fun, motivating, dynamic and committed to your learning. That means some of your classes may be uninteresting or presented in such a way that you either get bored or frustrated. It would be easy to simply blame these teachers so you could get off the hook and have a reason to do poorly. The problem is that you’d still be stuck with the results. Be an active consumer in you education and notice whether you are getting your times worth in the classroom if not, its time to change teachers or classes or even switch to another school.

11. Conditioned Behavior

We all are influenced in many ways. The biggest influences on our lives our are peers, cough cough ROMELEADER television,videos,games,magazines,newspapers,movies,computers,entertainment artists, sports figures cough cough FERNANDO TORRES, relatives, and parents. Their values are communicated to you constantly, whether you like it or not many of them become a part of you. But we all get shown just a small part of others lives. And whereas some rock stars may be living the glamorous life with smiles, money and groupies what you don’t see is how many failures, rejections and tough t times came first, its like that they practiced and disciplined themselves for years to get the fame you see, so be alert of for how your being influenced and be sure to separate the illusion of easy success from reality of hard work.

1) Set a goal
It is essential that you establish clearly defined goals for yourself. Students who already have a specific goal in mind such as a career in writing, medicine, acting or law may need to make their goals more specific. Its not enough to say,” I want to be a scientist”. You should decide what field you wish to study and when you plan to enter that field. The time commitment you set up is important. By setting a dat for goal completion, you have created a pressure to perform. This self-induced motivation will help you toward your goal by encouraging better decision making. Instead of your being confused and paralyzed by many alternatives, your time commitment will narrow your choices by its limitations. Then you can quickly choose an alternative that takes you toward your goal. Setting personal goals and achieving them can be tremendously satisfying. Students need to see both long and short range goals for themselves. Short range goals may be those that can be accomplished within two ten weeks. Such goals are specific like: “I want to get straight A’s this term”. Longer range goals may be to graduate with highest honors, get a scholarship, or pursue a particular field. Your goals, of course, may include more personal objectives, such as wanting to become more positive, generous or even to earn a certain amount of money. Remember 98 of 100 students who are classified as failures had no goal, or specific aim. If you do not know what you want as a goal, find one through experience. Attend lectures, travel take unusual classes, and meet varied and interesting people. Most students without goals simply may not have had enough experiences to have found what they like. Once you do find what you like, announce your goal to your friends and family. By announcing your goal you’ll reinforce its meaning to yourself and you will allow others to encourage and support you. Always broadcast your goals, never your accomplishments or successes. Others will gladly support and applaud your fulfilled dreams. IT is finding and setting a goal that is critical. Whatever the goal, set a long or short range one immediately, so you can begin enjoying the benefits. Use a self improvement contract; instead of just talking about goals, set them right now. Decide upon a definite, specific goal for this term in school. What would you like to accomplish? To make the honor roll? To excel in a outside school activity? Like soccer perhaps? Become clear on your goal, and write it down on a self-improvement contracts will show you later. Have a close friend (ROMELEADER) or relative sign the contract. Compare your contract to the sample contract to be sure yours is done properly. First date and fill in your name and the “other” person’s name. Write the specific goal you wish to accomplish. Then write your agreement. The agreement is how you plan to achieve your goal. What will you do each day or week that will advance yourself towards your goal? The consequences are rewards if you honor your contract. There are also punishments if you fail to honor it. You should work these out with person with whom you sign the contract with. Make sure you both have something to loose and something to gain. Post your contract in your house as a reminder of the obligation you have to yourself and the co-signer.

2) Build Desire

Once your goals are formulated, you need to light the fire and begin to fan it. There are several god ways to build a strong desire to fulfill your goals. First of all visualize your goals strongly and clearly every day. Take a minute out of your busy schedule to relax. Close your eyes and picture yourself strongly, vividly and clearly reaching your goal. Practice this visualization every day, and the desire will build: EX: pro soccer player, imagine yourself playing with your favorite player, right beside, every single day, get the details down right from the uniform to the shade of green in the grass to what kind of plays you’ll be making. Desire like setting a goal, is only the starting point. It is essential to build the desire through affirmation of your specific goal, a definite plan, and then fuel the dreams with the power of your constant and creative imagination. Remember there is no hope for those students who lack the basic desire to excel. They are unlikely to succeed.

3) Think Rationally

Learn to use your mind constructively and to your advantage all the time. Don’t allow yourself to become paralyzed by irrational or unnecessary thoughts. Have an open, receptive and clear mind, which is free from dogma, superstition, and prejudice. Find out t hose things you are not sure of! Do not substitute guesses for thinking. Many students get poor grades because they made incorrect assumptions throughout a course. Don’t guess or assume the professor/teacher will want something. ASK! Use the power of rational thinking to motivate yourself to new heights. If you’re having trouble motivating yourself to do homework, ask yourself if it would be to your benefit to get an A in that class. If it would, decide whether you are willing to pay the price. Strike a bargain with yourself. IT makes sense to get the best grade you can for the energy your willing to spend. The skills you are learning from this guide will enable you to get top grades at a better “price” (IN TERMSOF YOUR OWN EFFORT)
Once you have established your goals and accepted that you desire them, and then the motivation to do homework is necessary. So instead of rationalizing excuses not do something you can use rational thinking as a reason to do something. The power of your rational mind is sufficient to overcome most of your failure prone habits. Simply stop and re-evaluate your old beliefs. The following lists will help you see the advantages of good study habits and the disadvantages of not developing them.

Consider the benefits of successful study habits:
1.) Studying takes less time.
2.) Self –image improves
3.) Gain better comprehension
4.) Less frustration and re-reading. Sharpening thinking habits.
5.) Better grades
6.) Chances for scholarships
7.) Better qualified for career opportunities
8.) Gain more knowledge
9.) Greater confidence in academic and social area
10.) Explore personal potential

Consider the cost of not changing study habits
1.) Studying will become time consuming
2.) Poor self-image
3.) Unnecessary poor comprehension
4.) Discouraging study sessions
5.) Unclear thinking
6.) Poor grades
7.) Less qualified for jobs
8.) Know less material
9.) Lack of self-confidence
10.) Unfulfilled personal potential
11.) Lower chances for getting scholarships
12.) Rational thinking builds success ha bits

Consider the “benefits” of poor study habits

1.) Avoid responsibilities and demands from others that require reading skills
2.) Less pressure from others-no risk of failure
3.) Don’t threaten others by “outshining” them ( even if its natural, you tried you best, always remember that)
4.) Sympathy and attention gained from others who feel sorry for your failures in school.

What is your rational decision on study habits? Suppose that you wish to re-examine your belief that other students get all the breaks and that you’ll never graduate with honors. In physco-cybernetics,Dr. Maxwell Maltz suggested you ask yourself four important questions:

1.) “Is there any rational reason fur such a belief?
2.) Could it be that I am mistaken in this belief
3.) Would I come to the same conclusion about some other person in a similar situation?

4.) Why should I continue to act and feel as if this were true if there is no god reason to believe?

Now, scrutinize your belief through these questions and think it out carefully. Most of the time you’ll find that your belief holds no factual basis and that it disappears. The power of rational thinking is a powerful tool to use in improving yourself. Don’t ignore it. The mind has no limitations except those that you acknowledge.

5.)Develop positive personality traits

Positive personality traits include both attitudes and opinions. A positive person attracts other positive people, thus enable mutual support and inspiration. A student with a positive outlook is enthusiastic about life, has healthy self-image, and makes decisions promptly. This same student is also honest, dependable, and tolerant. A positive personality makes you enjoyable to be with. Start with your attitude. That’s simply your relationship with yourself. Do you get along well by yourself,? Do you trust yourself? Do you believe in yourself? If you do believe in yourself, you can and will succeed in school. This positive attitude will allow you to handle difficult assignments, demanding teachers, and social pressures. When you are confident and positive, others know they can depend on you. Therefore, they develop confidence in you and can help you reach your goals faster. If you do not believe in yourself, it is important to change that programming. Read the daily scroll and utilize it. A positive personality goes well with a healthy mind and body. Eat lightly; eat the proper balance of health giving, wholesome foods. Exercise regularly and learn proper posture. Take care of your hair, teeth, nails and complexion. Hold your head high and smile. Read as much as you can, informing yourself in fields like philosophy and psychology. Reduce your egotism and replace it with a balance of healthy confidence and modesty. A positive personality is a must for putting into action, your desires, plans and goals.

A POSITIVE PERSONALITY
I am a success
I will succeed
I can succeed
I will try and try again!
I believe in myself
I will make my own breaks.

“If you believe in yourself, you know you can and will succeed in school”.

Guilt often strikes harder when we dodge molehill issues repeatedly, until they pile into mountain peaks. Mental bankruptcy follows for a ripple effect. Once down emotionally, you’ve likely noticed, the brain needs new stimuli to climb back onto freedom’s side of the guilt ledger.
Freedom from guilt’s more a matter of mental chemistry, and acting out changed beliefs, and less from mistakes you’ve made. Move a new belief about guilt into action to win, and your brain will literally rewire its plasticity do the rest.

• Follow the freedom around you daily. Surround yourself with compassionate professionals who know how to laugh and who live freely. Winners who model healthy serotonin experiences that put problems on back burners until solutions simmer. Most would agree that guilt, exposed to healthy settings, tends to take flight far faster. Have you seen it happen?

• Name and claim the events
or people that expect far more than you can give. Offer alternatives for what you’d like to do or give or be, and then hold fast to perimeters you suggest. When family members or friends demand more time, set out one or two occasions each month where you’ll join them for their favorite pastime, and let them know ahead that is all that’s possible at the time. No reason to make excuses or explain why, simply state clearly and in good tone, how you’d look forward to a time or two with them.

• Set new examples of a guilt free approach for those at work. Most people suffer from jobs left undone, people who feel ignored, talents left with raw edges, and memories of past failures. Laugh in a new way and take on one tactic here to curb guilt and then share a small success when you meet with peers or friends, who struggle with their own guilt.

• Break genetic codes so that the guilt which created neuron pathways in your brain, transforms itself into reconfigured freedom through a few deliberate choices you make. While talent shrinkage goes with guilt, expect new brainpower when you cultivate the purpose and passion Helen Keller did when she concluded: Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all.

• Stay connected,
and takes heart that guilt may have set up road blocks over time, but focus will return your own mental wellness into freer situations. You’ll also gain insights to build better communication with those you know. It’s related to using interpersonal intelligence in a few basic ways that raise several intelligences up a notch. Isolation merely leads to another heaping dose of guilt.

• Pay it forward in ways that give others a guilt free ride because you are there. Catch yourself blaming people around you? Laugh off things that cannot be changed and help to improve what can change. One short approach to helping others past guilt is to model how freedom looks in your own day, and encourage it in theirs. How so? Share one tactic here that worked for you and show how so.

• Jump-start change
by diverting your focus to something you like to do, and then why not include the person who made you feel guilty in the first place. Make time for an adventure with that person, write a thank you note to express genuine appreciation for one thing that person did well. Explain clearly what you can do, and add what you will not be able to do in any situation. Avoid meta-messages that act as another way to run from reality, and speak in honest, clear terms with the other person’s well being in mind, yet not willing to sell your soul to guilt.

• Run from blame
because people whose lives slips off healthy mental tracks tend to look around and often blame others for their lot in life. Cynicism causes stress - refuse it. Laugh it off, offer suggestions, or avoid people who blame - just don’t allow blame to seep in and destroy both of you.

• Gather the facts so that every key detail is out on the table to consider or adjust. Make sure you see the positives, even before you begin digging for the parts that broke. Then go after problems with solutions in mind.

• Embrace life,
with all its strengths and weaknesses. When your situation sucks you into stressful currents, pull out a a brain buster or two from this list to find your way back to freedom’s delight.
Toxins that accompany guilt pose a big risk for those without mental awareness when they strike. Stress, for instance literally shrinks the human brain, according to recent research. Many people worry more about what they didn’t or cannot do, when the truth is that guilt robs focus from freer behaviors toward security and satisfaction. Consider a day without guilt, and then act as if regret is your enemy. There - you’ve already launched a gift of freedom that keeps on giving.
Might I add ROMELEADER did an amazing job on two little articles, that I have to say, are words to live by,

viewtopic.php?t=13845

viewtopic.php?t=15584

6.) Choose Friends Carefully
Many students never stop to think about some of the strongest influences on their lives. The people you see the most often affect you the greats. Most people tend to have a general lifestyle that is similar to their friends. An important implication is that you’d better choose your friends carefully because in doing so, you choose your future. By associating with those who are your model, you are most apt to make some pleasant changes in yourself. So if your friends are talented, considerate of others, healthy, happy and well rounded, then you are likely to acquire those traits also. Or if your friends are high achievers who enter science or hobby fairs, become involved in athletics, drama, singing, or good jobs, you’ll feel those influences, too. Yet, the opposite is also true. The saying “Birds of a feather flock together”; has been proven accurate. You may acquire some poor habits if your friends are unsupportive, act tough, abuse drugs, drift without goals, or are in legal trouble or just plain dull..These so-called friends can set you back years by leading you away from your own goals. It’s better to have no friends than bad friends. Friends with positive personalities are strongest in the categories of friendliness, honesty, and communication skills. (ROMELEADER inherits all these traits, and he’s like my big brother, and I’m happy we are alike, and the fact that I’m always learning something from him, he changed my life in a few ways too, for the better)Friendliness is important because everyone needs good quality friends, and only be a positive happy person will you attract good friends. Honesty is the cornerstone of a good personality because it is the advertisement of your values. By being honest, you’ll avoid embarrassing problems such has having to cover one lie with another, or worse yet, being confronted with the truth later on. Communication is an essential part of a positive personality because most people do not read minds, and verbal messages are the best we can do, is be direct, honest and square with your thoughts and feelings. IT will save many headaches later on and help you earn the healthy respect of others. If a friend is not a positive experience for you and much of the time you have disagreements, you need to make some changes. Either spend less time with that friend, or figure out how get along better. It’s important to have a confidant or study partner or maybe one person who is both. But if you have a specific goal to reach and if this “friend” is constantly pouring out his or her problems to you and infringing upon your peace of mind or time, wake up! You don’t have to say in any relationship, regardless of whether or not that person “needs” you. Regardless of his or her needs, this “friend” does not have the right to ruin your happiness or your chance of reaching your goal. A good schoolmate can be a dynamic source of inspiration. Knowledge and enjoyment. By choosing positive, growing friends you will find the path much easier. But most agree, it is necessary to choose your friends carefully.

7.) Have faith in yourself
The starting point for success in school, even before goals and desire, is trust, if you don’t believe in yourself, there’s no point in trying, and is there? Self trust and faith are essential. If you think you’re beaten, you are means those without faith in themselves will surely fail. Faith is the basis of all miracles and the basis for all success. You must believe in this essential fact: what the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve. People have used their faith and mind to stop their won heartbeat walk on hot coals, and stop from bleeding. So it can certainly be used more effectively to get A’s/ maybe you’ve been thinking that you need something extra so succeed. Do you think you lack tools, resources, opportunity, creativity, or intelligence? Forget that negative thinking. You have not been shortchanged! Lets take inventory to find out what you really have going for you. Your marvelous eyes have a hundred million sensory receptors with which to enjoy the world. You can watch a sunset, read a book, or a see a loved one. Count one asset! And through the courtesy of a complex, well-engineered hearing system you can listen beautifully. You can hear a concert, a waterfall, or a friendly voice. Count another asset! Your trained voice can speak any language in the world. You can laugh, whisper, or shout for joy. Count another asset! Your incredible body has over 500 muscles, 200 bones and 60 miles of veins and arteries to serve you. Yet it tirelessly builds thousands of new cells daily and features a heart which beats over 100,000 times and pumps over 4,000 gallons a day without complaint. Count year another asset! Do you complain of a lack of wealth? Your personal wealth is endless! What rich man, old and feeble would not gladly exchange all his money, properly, gold, stocks and bonds for the blessings you have taken for granted? To create a computer nearly equal to your brain, it would cost over $10 billion. Don’t treat yourself lightly! It would take up as much space as the EMPIRESTATEBUILDING and require the water of the MISSISISIPPI RIVER just to cool it. You master mind a $10 billion dollar computer, which features, memory banks, creativity and logic components. It controls millions of pain, touch and temperature detectors all over your body. Which can help you adjust to burning deserts, the sea, polar ice caps, out space and even classes at school. You are the greatest creation the world has ever seen. You are the technological pinnacle of mankind. Your list of personal assets is endless and you must acknowledge those treasures to become successful. Never gain complains that you need “something extra” you are one of a kind and unique among the 70 billion humans who have ever lived. Enjoy the rarity you have use your assets to become the student you know you can be. You can develop faith in yourself by accepting yourself as you are and as the person you can become. The preceding paragraphs and your daily scroll will help you if you read them often. If you ever lacked faith about your potential as a student, the fears will diminish. The mind will accept as truth anything, if it is repeated and reinforced enough. Develop confident and faith in yourself through actions. Debt up short, easily attainable goals for yourself and watch your successes pile up. Then focus your memory and present thoughts on your virtues. This gives a stronger picture of you, thus building faith also.

8.) Give reinforcement

The best way to get more of what you want is to reward the source when the desired behavior is produced. This is known as positive reinforcement. Set up a reward system for yourself for long and short term goals. When you accomplish a short term goal, such as getting an A on a midterm reward yourself with something you value. You may want to give yourself a dinner, a concert, a day at the beach, an item of clothing, or a record. Be fair to yourself and reward yourself when you achieve your goal. Rewards are the whole principle behind the self-improvement contract introduced earlier in this chapter. Reward the positive and if appropriate, punish the negative. One mistake many people make when trying to use a reward system is delaying the rewards or offering them at intervals too great to be effective. Set up a reward system that can be administered at short intervals. Never more than a week should pass without at least some temporary rewards. When used properly a program of positive reinforcement can bring about the desired habits with ease.

9.) Get specialized skills.

You can be a great student if you have the skills, information, confidence, and motivation to do it. If you need more than this book provides, takes some specialized courses. Sign up for course in memory and study skills, speed reading, and test preparation. Learn from others who do it well. Discipline yourself to learn the habits you need to have to be a total success. Although you always can find someone who will tell you how hard school is or how tough certain classes are, ignore him or her. There are just as many others who juggle full loads of classes and have time for fun. It can be done; you just need to know how to do it so. So, my friends make your plans now to fill in your study gaps and start enjoying school.

10.) Use special “ Mind-Motivators”
Motivation can be easy if you know how it works. You know you are motivated already to do things. After all, you got out of bed this morning, showered, got dressed, ate and now you are reading this book. “Big Deal”. You say, “Anyone can do that” Your right. Except for one thing. This means your brain (that’s you!) already knows how to get you to do things. And the same things that get you motivated to do those ordinary things can also motivate you to do things like homework! It’s simply a matter of find out what your brain does to put you in motion. And that’s pretty simple. But it’ll take this bit of research on your part Simply read this section all the way through, then go back and actually do the instructions.

Things that motivate me. BuzzingBee

Close your eyes and think about an activity that you’re very motivated to do. Pick something that you constantly overcome obstacles to get yourself to do, such as working out, sports practice, a concert, a big deal, preparing for something or going on a vacation. While you are thinking about yourself doing that activity hold it in your mind. What kinds of feelings (if any) do you have about doing that item? Where are those feelings located and what’s the intensity of them? Do you hear any sounds that get you motivated to do something? Is there a voice (do you tell yourself “now is the time!”) what are the qualities of that sound? Close up: faraway? Which direction is that sound coming from? Low, High, Fast or Slow? If you have a picture in your mind of doing that activity, are you seeing yourself “over there” in the picture or are you seeing the incident out of your own eyes in the moment of doing it?? Is it a movie or a still frame? Is the activity close up or faraway? In color, or in black and white? Is it in a 3-D or flat two dimensional? Consider each of those qualities, and then make up a list. Your list is a record of how your brain motivates you to do something. As an example you might find that when you are highly motivated to something, you “hear” a loud booming voice coming from about your right ear then you see the positive out come in 3-D or flat two-dimensional? Consider each of those qualities then make up a list. You list is a record of how your brain motivates you to do something. As an example you might find that when you are highly you “hear” a loud booming voice coming from above your right ear then you see the positive outcome in 3-D running like a color movie, and you are associated in the experience of doing it. Now, that’s just an example. Your list of “motivation” brain qualities might be different, but its worth its weight in gold to you. Take an item that you’ve had trouble getting yourself motivated to do. Let’s say its studying or doing your homework. Now add the tings that motivate you to do the new activity that means that if color motivates you, then add color, if a voice motivates you add that. Make all the changes from your earlier list. You’ll discover that some of the qualities affect you more than others. Keep adding those qualities. You’ll feel the difference if you are doing this correctly. What your actually doing is adding your brain’s representation of “motivation” to an item that you previously were unmotivated to do. Complete the visualization and you’ll know how you get motivated and how your brain can be used to do it at will. In a sense, you have gone from being a passenger on the “bus of life” to being the driver. That’s pretty damn exciting!

12. Solve personal problems

If personal situations are on your mind, it is difficult to concentrate, even with good study skills. Car problems, poor health, or romantic involvements are a part of life, but there is no reason why these should dominate. The student years are often the most traumatic portion of ones life. It seems that everything that could happen does. But outside events don’t have to be catastrophes if you keep them in perspective. Most are really not the disasters they are made out to be. One mistake consistently in dealing with personal problems is avoid them because of “over thinking”. This means making assumptions about what we perceive will or will not happen. These assumptions often immobilize an otherwise clear thinking individual. Don’t assume there is a problem but confront the person involved. Try to clear it up. Be direct, be honest and warm. Communicate your feelings first, then your thoughts. Listen to the other side before deciding upon a course of action. But take the situation into your hands and deal with it. Avoiding it only postpones it and amplifies the problem. Make an effort to not ”over think” or avoid personal problems, and they will become less worry you. Most personal conflicts go away in time, but it’s rarely worth it to wait that long. Almost every school has a qualified counseling staff that can help you to solve difficult problems, chances are good that they have already dealt with and solved problems very similar to yours.

13.) Develop Persistence.

Consider the following proverbs:

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Whereas motivation is essential to begin the path to success, only persistence will keep you on the path. Motivation is like fuel for your car: it gets you going toward your goal. But cars will run out of gas unless the persistence is there to refuel. The starting point for developing persistence is to have something to persist toward. Have an exact and desirable goal in mind and keep it there. Your motivation will move you to action, but your persistence will keep you moving. Persistence is insured, provided these six qualities are developed

He who knows he who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool, shun him; He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him. He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep, wake him. He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise, follow him.

Desire. Essential to success is the intense desire for achievement. A strong desire indicates your willingness to persist in making sacrifices to reach your goal. Your strong desire will help put you in the right place at the right time. Finally,your strong desire will keep the bonfires of persistence burning

Sel-Reliance. Confidence is yourself will allow you to be persistent.You must have exceptional faith in your own abilities because you will be tried and tested many times on your path to success. You must learn to rely on yourself because there is no one else to rely on. You many fail dozens of times,but your next effort may bring a success. You’ll never know how close success is until you take that one extra step. You were not born a failure nor will you become one. One step at time and only one step at time is necessary. You many liken yourself to an acorn that becomes a mighty tree and eventually builds a forest. Countless success stores arose from failures that refused to give up. Your confidence will help strengthen the persistence you need.

Reinforcement. There are three excellent ways to reinforce your persistence. One way is to keep exact goals conspicuously where you live, work, and drive. You should see reminders of your goals everywhere you go. If your goal is to get into Harvard Law School, like Elle woods from legally blond, get a picture of it and put that picture in your bathroom, on your refrigerator door, or on the dashboard of your door car. This reinforcement will help your subconscious mind work towards that goal. It will help remind you of the goal you are striving for.
A second way to reinforce you’re persistence is through successes. Set temporary, short, easily attainable goals and meet them. The more successes you gain, the great the personal ego reinforcement. It’s difficult to lack confidence when you are being successful each and everyday. You can receive reinforcement a third way from positive friends, encouraging supportive and enthusiastic friends can help inspire and push you along the path to success so be sure to chose your friends carefully as they can and will influence your success patterns.

Mastery of habits. Self control is another essential step toward persistence. You must become the true master of your own personal habits. Negative habits such as overindulgence, poor health, critizing others, financial mismanagement, or poor use of time can be lessened and maintained at less destructive levels. To help self-control, post positive reminds such as note cards in your house with your new habits written down. By constant reminder and desire, you’ll be able to control those poor habits

Courage. Every successful person must have the personal courage and conviction of faith to maintain persistence. You must ignore criticism from others and keep your own plans and goals in mind. It will take courage to maintain a positive nature while others fire the arrows of negativism and criticism. Read the Daily Scroll each day, and it will affirm your goals and beliefs, giving you the courage you need to act positively.

Accountability. One of the quickest paths to failure is justifying your placing blame. You might justify low performance by saying others ( not just you) are doing poorly, you were sick, or the class was boring, or you may lay blame and say the teacher is a hard grader. And all of those reasons may be true. Te question is whether those reasons motivate or mobilize you to improve. Usually they don’t you still get the same results in life, you either have the results or you have reasons (the stories and justifications that explain the results) why not just get the results you want?

Positive mental attitude. A crucial step toward maintaining persistence is to have strong personal optimism. Keep your mind tightly closed against negative people and your thoughts. Eliminate negative words from your vocabulary such as impossible, cant wont, defeat, failure, or unworkable. Do not allow yourself to think about the negative side of things. A positive mental attitude means you are confident of your own ability to succeed and you refuse to associate with those who think otherwise.

Think, believe, and act in a positive manner. There is no substitute for a continuous effort the schools are full of students who make half-hearted efforts, and who end up with poor grades and incomplete, inadequate education. The most common reasons for lack of persistence are lack of intense desire for a specific goal and lack of faith in you. Many people are too easily discouraged by failures simply, because they were not successful at some specific tasks. But you are not a failure. No matter how many times you do not live up to your expectations. Thomas Edison said he had nearly 10,000 failures on the path to producing the electric light bulb. Did he give up? Of course not and he said, he didn’t mind failure at all. He learned from everyone. Each failure taught him how not to do it the next time. In school, learn from your tests, when you get a low grade, find out why, so you can prepare better for the next test. Continuous applied effort, without giving up, is a sure way to become successful. Successful students lead tot e parade of fulfillment achievement, and happiness while the unsuccessful sit on the sidelines. Most students show sporadic promise in school, but the achievers have made the consistent effort through their willpower. The achievers begin with strong desire for an exact purpose, continue with faith in themselves and then follow through with the habit of using willpower. A success will not give up, he or she will explore and exhaust all possibilities and alternatives. Many problems go unsolved because someone gave up and lost the desire to continue. A genius doesn't not wait for a magical bolt of inspiration. It takes hard work and long hours to produce. Edison rightly said, “Genius one percent inspiration, and ninety-nine percent perspiration” and he should know he holds more U.S patents than nay other man. Yet, he experienced thousands of failures in his career. So be will to invest your time and energy ides don’t work, unless you doo. Remember that.

14.Your Desire

Every desire, every plan, every bit of knowledge is useless unless followed by action. No battle plan has ever won a war, no war ever prevented a crime, no book ever read itself. Action is the key. Do not wait for tomorrow. Tomorrow may never come. Do not wait for the time to be right. The time is right now. Do not worry about what to do, or how to do it. Just say when. Say no. Begin this moment. This precious Moment, which will never come again. This is priceless day, which will end in just a few hours, must be utilized. Live each day to the fullest through action. Would you be proud to s ay how you spent today, maybe the last of your life? Put your alibis and excuses away. Open your eyes, your heart, your mind. Embrace life, laugh and have fun. But most of all, act, and act now. Action is the only thing that will reap rewards you want. It’s the single most potent ingredient to success. Do not delay, You have but one life, and you must not waste today, possibly the last and most precious day of your life. Make today the culmination of your desires, plans and knowledge. Act now and become a successful student.

credits images:
http://www.life-with-confidence.com/index.html

http://www.brainleadersandlearners.com/ ... -disagree/
Last edited by BuzzingBee on 05 Aug 2009, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

mint
EF Drug Baron

Absolurely amazing post BB, im going to read it again later to take it in again, also im honored i got a mention.

Also i agree about being positive. Quote Bob Marley: No worries, be happy.
i was made to ignite

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

I love this guide! Although, I've seen the format somewhere else before... Wink wink. ;)

Haha, all that aside, it truly is a great insight into what turns good students into great students. You've covered all the bases, and someone who reads this guide will definitely be able to right their bad habits, and get on a good scholarly track.

Excellent job BB. ;)

NewBornProdigy
Admin

This is possibly your best one yet! :D

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:I love this guide! Although, I've seen the format somewhere else before... Wink wink. ;)

Haha, all that aside, it truly is a great insight into what turns good students into great students. You've covered all the bases, and someone who reads this guide will definitely be able to right their bad habits, and get on a good scholarly track.

Excellent job BB. ;)
It's a easy and simple format.Thanks for your kind words ROMEZZ
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

TH14
Veteran Member

Well numbers 4 and 5 are huge factors for me. They seem to get in the way of my full potential as a student. My study habits SUCK and I really hope this guide can prove to help me form better habits. I dont like the idea of dropping out because of study habits, or giving up on a dream because of bad study habits.
Credit to keller8

"Arsenal will always be in my heart, my blood, my head." - Thierry Henry