School : Hard Working Students ?

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
ronaldoR7

School : Hard Working Students ?

Post by ronaldoR7 » 24 Jun 2009, 10:53

if you pay attention in class study for exams etc and do all the homework does that mean you'll well for their grades ( A's ) and have a good education . Cause the other day my year adviser teacher said you theres students where they try so hard in school and try their best yet fail and those ones where they also study but do good and get good marks/grades .

So basically i just wanted to kno if you work and paid attention in class and do all hw and study you 'll be well educated or is it true what my teacher said not everyone was meant to be an intelligent student ?

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Re: School : Hard Working Students ?

Post by NewBornProdigy » 24 Jun 2009, 11:37

ronaldoR7 wrote:if you pay attention in class study for exams etc and do all the homework does that mean you'll well for their grades ( A's ) and have a good education. Cause the other day my year adviser teacher said you theres students where they try so hard in school and try their best yet fail and those ones where they also study but do good and get good marks/grades .

So basically i just wanted to kno if you work and paid attention in class and do all hw and study you 'll be well educated or is it true what my teacher said not everyone was meant to be an intelligent student ?
If you studied hard since you were born you'd be a genius

But that never happens
Its a thing of nurture

If your parents expose you to alot of things that get you thinking logically and sophisticated when your young (not like school books, but teaching to read young or showing you how to solve a rubix cube very young)

By virtue of intrest and knowledge your brain will develop very quick, thus when you get to school you will learn things better than others, and when your begininng school no-one studies, so those with better developed brains will get a head start and their knowledge cabililities usually accelerate

But when you get to teenage years where that sh*t really matters, the ones that seem to be naturally smart, are infact smarter, but its possible to get to their level, it would just take a sh*t load of work

So to answer your questions
Yes there are some who have been smart all there lives and will find it easy to get good grades unlike others even though they study at the same level

Its the same process for most things in life, like football and music, where you learn the foundations when you are young so they become instinctive

ronaldoR7

Re: School : Hard Working Students ?

Post by ronaldoR7 » 24 Jun 2009, 12:18

NewBornProdigy wrote:
ronaldoR7 wrote:if you pay attention in class study for exams etc and do all the homework does that mean you'll well for their grades ( A's ) and have a good education. Cause the other day my year adviser teacher said you theres students where they try so hard in school and try their best yet fail and those ones where they also study but do good and get good marks/grades .

If you studied hard since you were born you'd be a genius

But that never happens
Its a thing of nurture

If your parents expose you to alot of things that get you thinking logically and sophisticated when your young (not like school books, but teaching to read young or showing you how to solve a rubix cube very young)

By virtue of intrest and knowledge your brain will develop very quick, thus when you get to school you will learn things better than others, and when your begininng school no-one studies, so those with better developed brains will get a head start and their knowledge cabililities usually accelerate

But when you get to teenage years where that sh*t really matters, the ones that seem to be naturally smart, are infact smarter, but its possible to get to their level, it would just take a sh*t load of work

So to answer your questions
Yes there are some who have been smart all there lives and will find it easy to get good grades unlike others even though they study at the same level

Its the same process for most things in life, like football and music, where you learn the foundations when you are young so they become instinctive
So if i studied my ass off i could have a good education ? cause im was thinking some ppl work hard and still get poor marks

btw when you said a sh*t load of work to get to thier level can you name specific things i would need to do
Thanks new born appreciate it mate

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 24 Jun 2009, 15:42

Well if you work hard at anything you'll get good at it

Anyways working your ass off is one thing
Its working your ass of consistenly for 4-6 years is what gets you really good grades

And alot of people study hard but don't understand wtf they are studying, so the can study for months on end and still get successive F's

If your studying and you find something hard (eg. a question or theorm in maths) circle it and give it to your teacher the next maths class and say 'I ain't fu**ing leaving till i understand wtf all the bulls**t means' (ok mabye not that)

Cause studying is really pointless unless you understand what your doing
Its like you have a bad technique of kicking, but you don't know that, so you keep practicing and eventually your kicking is really bad almost instinctivly bad, and then you have to go through the process of un-learn that and re-learning the correct technique
btw when you said a sh*t load of work to get to thier level can you name specific things i would need to do
-Understand what your teacher is explaining everyday
-Your one day gonna dose off and lose focus in class, but if you do make sure you ask the teacher to go over everything they just explained in the class (tell her you didn't understand)
-Take summary notes on each subject after doing homework stating all the main points you should remember from that day and keep these in a big ass 'revision' notebook
-Study them mainly, use your workbooks or homework to help explain the theories in them
-Ask your teacher about exam technique (I dunno if you have this in america)
-Pick your 3 best subjects and your 2 worst ones and focus mainly on these, but don't neglect the 'inbetweeners' its important to bring all your subjects up grades in succession, so first you get at least one A subject and bring your weakest ones up to about C standard

Thats alot and that plan should be initiated over the course of years, but the educational system is different in Ireland compared to America, so you should get an Americans advice/opinion

ronaldoR7

Post by ronaldoR7 » 24 Jun 2009, 22:09

nah we dont use exam techniques
well i think im getting the picture NBP , maybe sometimes i study so much for an exam that i dont know what im doing and get bad .

Thanks for that it really helped me . Ill try that this week and next week and ill tell you if anything happens .

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 24 Jun 2009, 22:39

ronaldoR7 wrote:nah we dont use exam techniques
well i think im getting the picture NBP , maybe sometimes i study so much for an exam that i dont know what im doing and get bad .

Thanks for that it really helped me . Ill try that this week and next week and ill tell you if anything happens .
Your probably studying too much. Study for 45min-1hour and then take a 10 minute break, then study again. There is such a thing as over studying. Also if you get anxious before a test or nervous have some pepermint, it calms you down. Good luck.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 25 Jun 2009, 00:09

Seriously, (not bragging but) I've been a straight A student all my life, never having my average dropped below 84.25% in a semester. What I've learnt is that the difference between students who don't care about jack sh*t and still end up with relatively high marks (high 80s, possibly low 90s) and students who don't have a life, spend their time doing homework and reviewing (low-high 90s), is the simple phrase, don't work hard, work smart .

Only do work that is difficult for you (math teacher gives 25 questions for homework, in ascending difficulty, just scan through the questions, and do maybe the few that you may have trouble on). Listen in class, no matter how boring it might be, pays off in the long run when your studying, cuz it just becomes a memory click as you remember your teacher teaching the material. Exams, pfft, I barely study a day before an exam (except if I'm really struggling in the subject), my marks still end up shooting upwards after exams. In the end, it's just a difference between those who get smart off having no life or grabbing the smallest end of it (artificial smarts), and those who are naturally able to detect what's important and what's just unneeded details (pure smarts).

As you come out into society, marks don't mean much, people who grew up being pure smart will always prevail over those who crams a book or notes in their face all the time, as they develop socially, mentally, and with confidence. My 25 cents (hope you buy a jawbreaker :D )

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 25 Jun 2009, 06:11

There isn't really a magic formula to doing well in school, but like with anything if you wanna do well then you gotta work hard. Yes, there are those really annoying people who do nothing all year and then get those killer grades at the end of it, but you are way more likely to do well if you do the work. It's like with football, yes you are going to come across people who may have a natural aptitude for it, but if they don't work at it then eventually they are going to fall behind the rest. To do well in school it helps if you like the subjects you are doing (if you don't like the subjects then ask yourself why you are doing them if you chose to do them OR find ways to like them) but that isn't crucial. Just think about how working hard will help you in the future- not just academically but also across all areas of your life.

To properly answer your question- if you do your homework, pay attention in class, ask questions when you don't know stuff and study effectively then there is no reason why you should fail to do well. :D

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

Post by truesocceroo » 25 Jun 2009, 06:25

Unlike football however, you can have very little natural intelligence and if you work enough and learn in school you can make something of yourself, that is why it is important, all those things like sport, music etc rely much more on talent and there is no place for average people, only the best. Work at school it is really the best way for a decent future.

Ask your teachers, that is what they are paid for, they will help you more than you can imagine if you actually ask them specifically rather than just sitting in class only half working.

terminator

Post by terminator » 25 Jun 2009, 07:51

The only thing I would like to add is :
Make sure you solve problems

Don't just read and understand....apply the concepts you learn.Especially for subjects like math,physics,calculus...you have to solve as much as possible.

ronaldoR7

Post by ronaldoR7 » 25 Jun 2009, 11:52

far thanks you lot
especially kaka and NBP
you've really clear my head with your adivce . i like the your phrase kaka
don't work hard , work smart

im going to pay attention 100% in all my classes now and work smart as kaka said only do the diffcult questions

Thank you guys once again