The hiphop/rap thread!!

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

The hiphop/rap thread

Post by pickyourheadup » 10 Apr 2009, 06:33

Lupe Fiasco
Kanye

and one song by Asher Roth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43pkqeamXe8

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 10 Apr 2009, 07:19

flyhigh19 wrote:Yeah I don't like any of that type of stuff (ex. Eminem's new single). I honestly think its stuff like that, that's killing hip hop. I like the "real" stuff, if you guys know what I mean. John_Bob, your song is pretty good.

Some good songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UFfTGs84T4
I Wonder- Reef the Lost Cause (AOTP Member)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHReQQnM ... re=related
Respiration- Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIBnCA5ZzSw
Ya Dayz r'#d- NYG'z (produced by DJ Premier)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLWCgyQS ... re=related
Don't Cry- AOTP

Just a taste, ha.
I really don't know any real hip hop
The only stuff thats available to me is the mainstream stuff (M&M, 50 Cent etc..)
I dunno about killing hip hop, because artists like these generate about 50-60% of hip hops worldwide fans

But in honesty your gonna have to explain 'killing' hip hop to me

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 10 Apr 2009, 12:06

I liked Eminem's earlier stuff more. Albums like the Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP were his best works IMO. He was rapping on a personal level and he wasn't afraid to say things that were controversial.

Anybody listen to Immortal Technique? Now that is some REAL hip hop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgDP8YfuGgw

And flying high, I like those videos you posted. I've never listened to Army of Pharaohs but they are pretty sick.

xilog

Post by xilog » 10 Apr 2009, 12:25

Here are some rap artists/groups that I like:

Snoop Dogg
Dr. Dre
The Game
N.W.A
Tupac
Notourius B.I.G
Kanye West (his old style)
Eminem
50 cent
Ice Cube
Easy E
Wu-tang Clan
Busta Rhymes

There are alot more but I'm abit tired right now hehe....
Last sign:

sign/ava by me

flyhigh19
Veteran Member

Post by flyhigh19 » 10 Apr 2009, 21:03

Yeah Immortal Technique is good, I like him. I like his flow and what he raps about.

And to NewBornProdigy:

In my opinion, the mainstream stuff barely qualifies as hip hop. It has no lyrical value, no flow, etc. I just can't stand listening to it. To me, most of it just sounds like a bunch of words stuck together making no sense. The reason why I think the "mainstream" rappers generate more popularity is because the record labels know what they are doing. They could care less if the music they are producing is absolute trash, as long as it attracts people with their "pop" like sound and feel. That's why I call most of the "mainstream" hip hop, hip pop. If you've noticed the majority of people that listen to the mainstream stuff are younger people, like teens or younger adults (18-23). You won't see anyone over 30 listening to Souija Boy. The majority of people who listen to Souija Boy are suburban kids and that's exactly what it is geared towards because they like "catchy" things. I don't know about you guys, but I think music is beyond catchy. In order to get the most out of hip hop, you have to listen to underground artists like Army of the Pharaohs or Jedi Mind Tricks. Or the artists that were from the previous generation and what older people listen to such as Nas, Talib Kweli, AZ, Mos Def, etc.

Real hip hop has lyrical value and flow. You can listen to the lyrics and be left with the impact "Wow, that was sick". And the stuff they rap about isn't limited to sex, drugs, and jewelery. They rap about real things.

Sure these "mainstream" artists that are popular with the majority public are "respected" by the public but they have no respect in the rap world. I mean what you have to do is just listen further into the music.

Just listen to what DJ Premier (arguably the greatest rap producer ever) has to say:
skip to around 3:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg_p8Dvzg7Q

Okay well all you have to do is compare this stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTibrz3w6fA
Seven- Army of the Pharaohs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9NzwTZwXs
The Format- AZ (produced by DJ Premier)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHJ8jHmQ ... re=related
Reality Check- Verbal Threat (produced by DJ Premier)

to some of the crap you hear on the radio like Lil'Wayne

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 10 Apr 2009, 21:21

Real hip hop has lyrical value and flow. You can listen to the lyrics and be left with the impact "Wow, that was sick". And the stuff they rap about isn't limited to sex, drugs, and jewelery. They rap about real things.
One thing I know man (this is from someone who knows very little about hip hop)

Rap is its best a purest form is a rebel or gangster music
The only modern artist in the mainstream that I know of that truly put meaning that you feel into his words is Eminem (Tell me if there is a decent underground rapper who has this kinda flair)
From the past Tupac and Nas were the only other two that I know of that spoke 'the truth'

Most of the current hip hop is essentially pop music, as you said, it involes rockin and making money and has turned the music into a Parody of what it once was
Sure these "mainstream" artists that are popular with the majority public are "respected" by the public but they have no respect in the rap world. I mean what you have to do is just listen further into the music.
Well you seem like your mixing up mainstream rap and R&B
(which is like mixing up rock and pop)

Like I dunno what you consider a cut off point from being real to being a parody, but Solja Boy and Lil Wanye and even Kanye West are just R&B gangsters (or the claim that)
some of the crap you hear on the radio like Lil'Wayne
Agreed hes bulls**t, even I know that

flyhigh19
Veteran Member

Post by flyhigh19 » 10 Apr 2009, 22:08

I like some of Eminem's older stuff because the lyrical element was still there. In my opinion, Eminem's flair is that he doesn't care what the media portrays him as and he says whatever he wants. He has his own style, and I guess I respect that. However I think he's fallen into mainstream now as his songs have lost what they held before, so I don't really like much of his newer stuff.

All underground rappers share that they only rap about "true and real" things as they are not influenced by what the public wants or what they feel is good.
Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgAR1Dgpg_U
Razorblade Salvation- Jedi Mind Tricks

R&B is like Usher or Omarion, at least in my opinion. I think R&B is completely different from hip hop. Souilja Boy and Lil Wayne are considered rappers by most (or at least by people I know and at my school). And they are the definition of rappers by most of the general public.

I used to think Kanye was a decent rapper with his first album as he rapped about "true and real" things, but now he's just fallen into mainstream and most of his music now is absolute trash,

I think Souilja Boy, Lil Wayne, etc. think their music is "real hip hop". I mean Souilja Boy recently said that Nas killed Hip Hop by saying hip hop is dead, or something like that (how ridiculous is that and (Nas didn't even respond to him). Souilja Boy vs Nas is like League 1 Team vs a Champions League Winning team

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob » 10 Apr 2009, 22:17

Rap is its best a purest form is a rebel or gangster music

I can't disagree with this more. Rap is not gangster music, that is just an image that mainstream rap has promoted. To me rap is just a form of music that can be cheaply produced and is available to the masses (look up it's origins and not it's recent history).
Well you seem like your mixing up mainstream rap and R&B
(which is like mixing up rock and pop)

Like I dunno what you consider a cut off point from being real to being a parody, but Solja Boy and Lil Wanye and even Kanye West are just R&B gangsters (or the claim that)
They are not R&B artists (with the exception of Kanye's album 808s and heartbreaks) They are rappers albeit for the most part untalented rappers who somehow have gained a large number of fans.

I pretty much only listen to underground hip hop, mostly local stuff. Flyhigh you live near Seattle right? You should definitely look into the local rap scene cause there is a ton of good stuff right under our nose.

Also, Immortal Technique is a beast. His songs have so much information packed in I have to have wikipedia up every time I listen to him. I may not agree with everything he stands for but at least he puts out a real message unlike most artists.

flyhigh19
Veteran Member

Post by flyhigh19 » 11 Apr 2009, 00:39

Yeah, I do know some of the local artists like Blue Scholars. They are pretty good. I primarily listen to underground (ex. AOTP) and the last generation of "real artists" (Nas, AZ, etc.)

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 11 Apr 2009, 01:03

When it comes to rap IMO the best group is blackstar and rapper is mos def.

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob » 11 Apr 2009, 01:22

I saw Blue Scholars a couple months ago. It was a great show I would highly recommend you go see them. Haha, at that concert Sir Mix-A-Lot rolled up in a Lamborghini, he is still making a ton off "Baby Got Back".

Speaking of Mos Def have you heard him calling out everybody in the game. He wants a rap battle against Lil Wayne and/or Jay-z. IMO he would destroy both as Lil Wayne can hardly utter an understandable sentence and Jay-Z is out of his prime.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 11 Apr 2009, 01:28

John_Bob wrote:I saw Blue Scholars a couple months ago. It was a great show I would highly recommend you go see them. Haha, at that concert Sir Mix-A-Lot rolled up in a Lamborghini, he is still making a ton off "Baby Got Back".

Speaking of Mos Def have you heard him calling out everybody in the game. He wants a rap battle against Lil Wayne and/or Jay-z. IMO he would destroy both as Lil Wayne can hardly utter an understandable sentence and Jay-Z is out of his prime.
Mos Def would destroy any rapper in the game right now, expecially Lil Wayne and Jay Z. Not only are you able to understand him, but he's one of the few big names who raps about issues and really thinks about what he says, not talking about how many ho's he's nailed to a beat he paid $100,000 for. He's doing a show in portland next month but idk if I'll be able to go.

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob » 11 Apr 2009, 03:15

2brown347 wrote:
John_Bob wrote:I saw Blue Scholars a couple months ago. It was a great show I would highly recommend you go see them. Haha, at that concert Sir Mix-A-Lot rolled up in a Lamborghini, he is still making a ton off "Baby Got Back".

Mos Def would destroy any rapper in the game right now, expecially Lil Wayne and Jay Z. Not only are you able to understand him, but he's one of the few big names who raps about issues and really thinks about what he says, not talking about how many ho's he's nailed to a beat he paid $100,000 for. He's doing a show in portland next month but idk if I'll be able to go.
Mos Def is pretty ill. I wish Blackstar would get back together cause I love Talib Kweli just as much as I like Mos Def and Hi-Tek is one of the better producers in the bussiness.

As for suggestions: Jungle Brothers, De La Soul, and A Tribe Called Quest.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 11 Apr 2009, 03:36

Ya, Mos Def and Talib Kweli are two of the few legit big names in rap that are active and I enjoy. It'd be sick if they got back together.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 11 Apr 2009, 04:08

Mos Def is not only an intelligent hip hop artist but he is also an intelligent person. I also find Lupe Fiasco to be an intelligent artist.

I think Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Nas, Immortal Technique, KRS One, Lupe Fiasco, and Eminem are some of the best current hip hop artists.