family discouragement

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
abel
Sophomore Member

If this is a wrong place to post this please excuse me.

Hey people, i've been taking a lot of crap from my family for a long time i mean a really long time even though i love them to death it's now getting over the line. Every time i talk about football or ask for a ride to practice they always seem to start making fun of me. I mean i think i have proved my self to be worthy by making division 1 clubs but they always seem to talk down on me saying don't waste your time keep football as a hobby and stick with your studies, it takes a lot of nagging to get them to watch one of my games but even if they show up they either start making fun of me or just doing something else rather than paying attention. I mean i don't really care if they watch my games or care about me playing football because i love it, it's what i breath, live, dream, and eat every day. but how do you guys think i should work on getting passed this because i think it's getting to me and affecting my play. it really bothers me mentally for some reason and i cant get over it.
"They say we football players are slaves well.... If that's true then give me a life sentence".
-Pele-

messi14

if i were you i would just ignore it, every time they say something like that just dont pay attention and dont let bother you, before the game relax and dont even think about them and you will be fine

Hugh
Veteran Member

explain to them that the way they're acting is bothering you and that you'd appreciate it if they showed some more interest in their own kid, if only because they love you enough to stop affecting your play.

That could be a bit pushy but maybe that's what they need. If they won't come out to watch you play at least try to get them to be supportive in other ways.

Or you could learn to take the bus.

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Hugh wrote:explain to them that the way they're acting is bothering you and that you'd appreciate it if they showed some more interest in their own kid, if only because they love you enough to stop affecting your play.

That could be a bit pushy but maybe that's what they need. If they won't come out to watch you play at least try to get them to be supportive in other ways.

Or you could learn to take the bus.
Yeah, explain to them. Thier your family they will realize thier mistakes..That sucks I feel for you.
Made by 2Brown.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Yo man it will be hard to play without your families support, just tell them how you feel and they will support you... In the end you might not think it but they always have good intentions for you, tell them this is what you enjoy doing

expert
Site Admin

Yeah, I had the same problem when I was younger.
They're bad parents if they don't support what you believe in.
There's not much you can do but accept that you're you own person and follow what YOU think is important.
Don't look at this as necessarily a bad thing, I mean if you can persevere it will help strengthen you character.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

If your family doesn't support you then just foreget about it. They probably won't change. Surround yourself with people who do support you.

neoExodus

I understand you kid, my father took me out of the soccer team when i was a kid cous he thought i wasn't good enough to be on a club, yeah like he wanted me to be a phenomenon at the age of 6 or 7... i completely quit football until at the age of 13 the "hunger" came back with freestyle, then the game itself, then the strategy and tactics until i started to understand every single stuff on every subject of football, i still don't know everything about it but its that mystery that keeps me seeing it and understanding movements and passes that elite pros do. While this learning process began i started to gradually play for a club but my parents never helped me and i was just too lil to do everything on my own, i couldn't go to a doctor on my own ask for a sport aprovement paper or be a member of the club cous my parents never let me do it, i always understood that school comes first and im actually a very good student but, maybe, they were afraid of me lowering my grades having an hobby, but whatever i learned everything i could on my own, and still, even if at the age of 18 i don't have the experience of my teammates, i know what to do when im on the field, and i try to improve my "game" outside of the usual team practice session so i can try and gain the years i lost, its not easy but its not impossible as well. Kid just don't start at my age or else you will have to work you ass off to adapt to a teams playstyle and their experience.
Back to your issue, talk to them and explain that you won't quit but you need their support to play and badmouth you will only make you play better, just make them understand that your stronger then them, if they have a IQ of at least 90 they will understand that "concept" and see that they need to support you. Still you need to mention School in your argument and keep hobby and school in the same level. Go kid! :D

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

honestly play for yourself,and always keep your head up,if your wise you'll make something out of your soccer career,no matter how far that goal seems,i was told id never play sports before,and its QUITE funny seeing as how,Ive won various awards for each sport i played,and i always picked up faster than anyone because i wanted it more. Because my family does the same,there's another thread,sure there's more to life than soccer,but soccer can teach you about life! i mean work hard,it pays off,slack off well you know you loose the game,and you look like a loser out there. keep living the dream,it will take you somewhere,and play with your heart because if your hearts not in it,there's no point,passion makes people do exceptional things.

viewtopic.php?p=199014#199014

I really do love the people on this forum.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again