Rome's Expert Football League (EFL): Getting Started

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

*banner next week; for first official week of contests*

Intro

Hey. Some of you guys might've seen my post about this contest in the 'Suggestions' subforum, some may have not. If not, you should go check it out here: http://tinyurl.com/6ajojo

But I am happy to say finally, I'm ready to kickstart this thing. Start off slow, and hopefully get it going. I have taken into account everyone's suggestions to make it better, and hopefully we can have a good test run.

Now, what I need from you guys who want to participate can be easily filled out on this form template here, and posted here for me to look over, if you want into this contest. Should be straightforward, and if you have any questions, just ask me.

Cards, topics, # of matches and such will all be decided at a later date if/when we get enough users to start. So, here is what I need from YOU...

Username (Formality. :P):
Preferred Match Type (See list below for starters.):
Roster Card Representative (Anything from a soccer player to a piece of fruit, but two users can't have the same one. First come first serve, shall we?):
Would You Prefer Your Matches Judged by Vote, or Just Me?:
What Do You Consider Strengths That Might Be Applicable to This Contest? (EX: Writing, good Photoshopping skills, etc.):
Starting Overall (Be serious. 100 being the highest, and 1 being lowest. I would call 70 about average.):
How Often Would You Like to Have This Contest (Weekly, bimonthly, monthly, etc.):

Matchtypes

Artistic Challenge: You will be creating banners that may or may not be based on a subject, that will be judged on a specific criteria. Sometimes, limitations may be imposed. [EX: Monochrome banners or ones of a certain size.]
Knowledge Challenge: You will likely have to have a wide general knowledge about a number of things, and be able to answer obscure questions or find proof of occurrences. Usually, this will be football related, unless stated otherwise. [EX: 'Name three players with over 100 caps.' Or 'Find a picture of Frank Lampard in a youth kit.']
Ladder Match: You and your opponent will compete in a mini-topic. Whoever is judged to have won will get the opportunity to pick a number between 1-6, that only I and one other person know. Pick the correct number, you win the match. Pick wrong, and you go again.
Lightweight Match: An One Post KO match with a word limit... Let's say 500. It can be both a blessing and a curse. Some of you might enjoy not having to put in a lot of work, while others might find that it is hard to convey your meaning with so few words. Different strokes, different folks.
One Post KO: You both make a single post on the topic, that are judged against each other.
Promo: Not a match in a sense, but a way for you to hype yourself up, and or, give us a little story. Points for originality, comedy and description.
Thread Match: Make a thread on a topic. Points will be given, but it might also be decided on number or quality of replies, based on the discussion you are able to provoke with your thread.
Unlimited Debate: You and your opponent both make a small opener, and then debate each other's points through to the deadline.

Those are, right now, some basic ones I can think of I might use. If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to post them! For now though, those are the only ones I will use, unless I come up with others, and you will be informed. Of course, given enough signups, there is always the possibility of TEAMS and Team versions of the above.

Some Ideas/Plans I Have For This Contest

- If we get good interest, I guarantee you a half a year of this contest.

- Teams, perhaps? Of no more then two or three, but still, it is an idea.

- I am working on making a header banner for the contest for each and every week.

- I will eventually offer titles to be chased like something straight out of boxing or wrestling. Also planned are rankings systems for title contention, and a weekly 'Power' chart ranking the best of the contest.

- Also, rewards will be dished out for spectacular performance. Right now, all I can offer is banners and my respect (:P) but if anyone wants to contribute, say, committing to making a banner for the winner of our main event, then that would be great.

- I am also thinking in terms of feuds. People with board history could take on their rivals, and it would be seen as a fight with more drawing power.

Closing Comments

Thanks for reading my short topic guys, and I hope you guys take interest. This could turn out to be a ball, and good overall for the board and board activity. I'm shooting for at least 6-8 volunteers, and I promise to make this very fun and rewarding for whoever signs up and puts some effort in. I know you guys all don't have a lot of time most of the time, and neither do I, but the contest isn't asking for too much of a commitment. Just for you guys to enjoy it. Best wishes, GM Romez.

~~~A Roman Production~~~

P.S.: You can contact/MSN me at: swood2712@gmail.com

2brown347
Veteran Member

count me in

Username: 2brown347, obviously you silly canadian Laughing
Preferred Match Type (See list below for starters.):artistic, Knowledge Challenge, or Unlimited Debate
Roster Card Representative (Anything from a soccer player to a piece of fruit, but two users can't have the same one. First come first serve, shall we?): I would like a Trampoline, a apple tree in Fall, or a blue floor lamp.
Would You Prefer Your Matches Judged by Vote, or Just Me?: Both, riddle me that votes count for 60%, romez 40% or somethng along those lines?
What Do You Consider Strengths That Might Be Applicable to This Contest? Everything is my strengths, obvioulsy
Starting Overall (Be serious. 100 being the highest, and 1 being lowest. I would call 70 about average.): I have no clue what this is asking
How Often Would You Like to Have This Contest (Weekly, bimonthly, monthly, etc.): weekly

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Rofl @ your rep. choices! :P I'll do it, though... ;)

Well, think in terms of like FIFA. Overalls are an estimate of how good you think you are. If you say 99, I will pit you against the best in the most challenging matches. If you say a lower number, well then, the converse.

Just from seeing you around... I would put you at a 79, if that's okay.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Username:NewBornProdigy
Preferred Match Type:Ladder Match, Lightweight Match, One Post KO, Thread Match, Unlimited Debate (I would have to try them out to judge really) but Unlimited Debate or One Post KO
Roster Card Representative:Cristiano Ronaldo
Would You Prefer Your Matches Judged by Vote, or Just Me?:Well i think a majority vote
What Do You Consider Strengths That Might Be Applicable to This Contest?:Only Writing, nothing to do with graphics (slow computer and internet :( )
Starting Overall:75
How Often Would You Like to Have This Contest: bimonthly

i like the team idea
Rome_Leader wrote:Rofl @ your rep. choices! I'll do it, though...
sorry i don follow?

other than that i think you have a good thing going :D

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Lol, with that sentence I was talking to brown. :P I was laughing that, for his representative, he wants something as stupid as a lamp... :P

Looking good guys! Keep the signups rolling!

2brown347
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:Lol, with that sentence I was talking to brown. :P I was laughing that, for his representative, he wants something as stupid as a lamp... :P

Looking good guys! Keep the signups rolling!
Something wrong with lamps, jk, i wanted something random and stupid so I think I made a good choice. And I'd put myself at a low 80 thank you very much.

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Username :Chicagofirefan
Preferred Match Type :Knowledge,One Post KO
Roster Card Representative :Lionel Messi
Would You Prefer Your Matches Judged by Vote, or Just Me?:EVERYONE
What Do You Consider Strengths That Might Be Applicable to This Contest? :EVERYTHING
Starting Overall (:74.634
How Often Would You Like to Have This Contest :As much as possible so.... Weekly

Bring on the Victims :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Lol, if people continue to say they have every strength in the book, and no weaknesses... I guess you'll be okay if I arrange handicap matches. :P Come on guys, everyone can improve... I want to know what you're best at so I can book you in appropriate matches.

Three, that's good. Six would be a minimum to start. Spread the word!

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

Username :BuzzingBee
Preferred Match Type :anything?
Roster Card Representative :Fernando Torres IS MINE
Would You Prefer Your Matches Judged by Vote, or Just Me?:everyone?
What Do You Consider Strengths That Might Be Applicable to This Contest? everything? i dont know..im pretty creative,i can make anything almost..i suppose..quick learner? and an okay write?
Starting Overall : Uhm...what?
How Often Would You Like to Have This Contest:whenever im on?

Bring it on,ill sting ya if i can 8)
Last edited by BuzzingBee on 12 Aug 2008, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Lol, whenever you're on might be a stretch... :P I need time to organize a card for everyone. Weekly seems to be popular, so we'll go with that. That gives you a whole week to do work for your matches.

Again, think of overalls like FIFA OVRs. They represent how good you think you are.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a WHAT? ;\

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:Lol, whenever you're on might be a stretch... :P I need time to organize a card for everyone. Weekly seems to be popular, so we'll go with that. That gives you a whole week to do work for your matches.

Again, think of overalls like FIFA OVRs. They represent how good you think you are.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a WHAT? ;\

FLOAT LIKE A BUTTERFLY STING LIKE A BEE! WHOOT! :D
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Alright gentlemen, how's this for a card look? I decided to scrap earlier plans and go soccer teamed BG since, well, we are a soccer/football board! :P

It's nothing huge, but you know, if anyone hates it or something, stuff can change. :P They will all look pretty similar, with a different rep.

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:Alright gentlemen, how's this for a card look? I decided to scrap earlier plans and go soccer teamed BG since, well, we are a soccer/football board! :P

It's nothing huge, but you know, if anyone hates it or something, stuff can change. :P They will all look pretty similar, with a different rep.
Thank you that is AMAZING. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But if i ever compete against you... YOUR STILL GOIN DOWN :twisted: :twisted:

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Glad you like it. Is everyone cool with me pushing ahead with that basic design?

And you think so, eh? Well, maybe I will have it arranged someday... ;)

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:Glad you like it. Is everyone cool with me pushing ahead with that basic design?
I'm Cool w/ it :wink: