Summer Olympics 2008: Beijing

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 11 Aug 2008, 03:04

soccer11 wrote:
BGbeast23 wrote:Wow, anyone see the US-Holland game? I def. didn't expect a tie. Holland's chances are looking pretty bad to me now to win the whole thing. If it weren't for that last foul, they would have easily lost.
the US had that wrapped up. i was so pissed when they scored. the US deserved that one.
i will say that jozy altidore is a very big, very strong, and very scary man.

also, kind of ironic how freddy adu is playing good and the coach is peter nowak
Anyone else find it ridiculous Robbie Rodgers started over Jozy? :?

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 11 Aug 2008, 03:19

2brown347 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:
BGbeast23 wrote:Wow, anyone see the US-Holland game? I def. didn't expect a tie. Holland's chances are looking pretty bad to me now to win the whole thing. If it weren't for that last foul, they would have easily lost.
the US had that wrapped up. i was so pissed when they scored. the US deserved that one.

also, kind of ironic how freddy adu is playing good and the coach is peter nowak
yes. that was a bad move. he'l start next game for sure

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 11 Aug 2008, 13:23

did u guys see the mens swimming 4 x 100 freestyle relays.....it was amazing. we were getting crushed by france (who said they would demolish the USA) and then we caught up and won the race and demolished a world record. We won the gold and kept Phelp's 8 gold medal Olympics alive!

nickwba99

Post by nickwba99 » 11 Aug 2008, 13:31

who watched usa vs holland i missed it but our (west brom) new signing zuiverloon was playing right-bakc, did he look any good?

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 11 Aug 2008, 15:06

soccer11 wrote:
2brown347 wrote:
soccer11 wrote: the US had that wrapped up. i was so pissed when they scored. the US deserved that one.

yes. that was a bad move. he'l start next game for sure
Jozy Altidore has a huge chance of starting because Freddy Adu isnt playing in the USA vs. Nigeria game. He got a Yellow Card in both of the usa's games so he cant play.
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 13 Aug 2008, 05:18

messi19
Veteran Member

Post by messi19 » 13 Aug 2008, 13:32

I didnt watch the game, but I know USA lost to Nigeria 2-1.
Did Jozy Alitdore play?
Im currently watching Brazil v China with mintues to go. And Brazil are winning 3-0. This means Belguim and Brazil will go through to the Q-finals.

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 13 Aug 2008, 13:52

Yeah I can't believe it. (OK I guess I can). All summer US was looking to do well here and to get knocked out in this way is just a bummer. Apparently they (US) were down a man from the 3rd minute.

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 13 Aug 2008, 14:50

USA lost 2-1 to Nigeria, making Nigeria group B winners. Also moving on is the Netherlands coming from a win against Japan. In the 4rd minutes of the USA Nigeria Match, the usa Left back was givin a red card. Since there was no other Left back Sub, Robbie Rogers was pushed back from midfield to Left back and Jozy Altidore was placed Midfield, leaving Brian McBride as the only Forward. Finally in the 88' minute the USA scored on a Penalty Kick yet failed to equalize it with the 4 minutes of stoppage time given.
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 13 Aug 2008, 14:55

I expected better from the USA today. Orosco (sp? the guy that got sent off) was stupid, the ref was right there! He shouldn't have done it anyway, theres no need to use your elbow on someone (I know when your jumping you can use your elbow to protect yourself but you don't strike people with it!).

In the second half I felt Nigera was backing off a little and the US needed to exploit it, they had a few chances but couldn't convert. Not a good game at all.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 13 Aug 2008, 15:13

Michael Phelps is continuing his amazing run and I think he has 11 goals medals so far in his Olympic career. Not to mention he is also breaking records left and right. Some people are considering him the greatest Olympian for his amazing achievements and some are even considering him the greatest athlete of our time. What do you people think?

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 13 Aug 2008, 15:17

Yeah it's pretty insane all the gold he's won. Greatest athlete is pushing it, but since the Olympics are one of the the greatest sporting events of all time and he may become the greatest Olympian...it's not too innaccurate.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 13 Aug 2008, 15:28

I don't know about greatest athlete ever but certainly a great achievement. It's really brininging swimming more attention which I think is great. I'm a former swimmer and I love that its really getting the attention and respect it deserves. It's not an easy sport, it looks easy, but theres a lot of work you have to put in.

I think because its the olymics and he's an American is the whole "greatest athlete". I mean hes the one making all the headlines this summer so I guess I can see why they would label him that.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 13 Aug 2008, 15:41

Gold doesn't make him the greatest athlete, only by some measures. To me, it's Ali, cos the dude's still fighting, man...

But yeah, he's doing his country proud. As sad as this makes me to admit, as a Canadian... Dude's going to/has won more medals then my whole frickin' country! :cry:

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 13 Aug 2008, 15:46

Sorry, I should rephrase what I said in my earlier post. People are saying he is the best athlete now, out of active athletes. Like some people say Tiger Woods is the best because of his dominance in his sport, people are now saying Phelps is the best current active athlete because of his dominance in swimming.