Summer Olympics 2008: Beijing

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
bsc
Veteran Member

As many of you know, the Olympics start on August 8th, 2008 in Beijing. This thread will be for Olympics enthusiasts, rather than about the political side of China and the Olympics (of which even as of today there is developing news of a hubub going on).

Only a week and a half left until the games begin!

what events are everyone excited to follow this year? :D
Last edited by bsc on 29 Jul 2008, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Well, obviously I am interested in the Football, and Basketball.

I can see Canada doing fairly well in the Basketball, followed by disappointment in the end. :(

But I'm cheering for Canada and Armenia.

ratherton
Veteran Member

I'll be on holiday in Egypt for the entire duration of the games so I won't see any of it. I'm just glad that Great Britain weren't forced to take that drug cheat, Dwain Chambers which would have been a huge embarrassment.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I'm going to watch the soccer (if its on at a decent time), basketball and swimming.

Americans better win the gold in basketball 2004 was a joke

2brown347
Veteran Member

d9 it's a known fact canada only has good point guards :roll: jk

I'd say if the US loses at basketball again (we'll just blame it on polution) then every pro player from the US should be deported to San Marino (they deserve to be good at 1 sport).

I probably won't watch much, maybe the soccer and track

Davidson9
Veteran Member

We have a good point guard who won't even play for us. :cry:

Screw him anyway. :lol:

bsc
Veteran Member

here's some fairly amusing nike commercials for the olympics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmdOiaPLOus
Image Image

soccer11
Admin

bsc wrote:As many of you know, the Olympics start on August 8th, 2008 in Beijing. This thread will be for Olympics enthusiasts, rather than about the political side of China and the Olympics (of which even as of today there is developing news of a hubub going on).

Only a month and a half left until the games begin!

don't you mean a week and a half? it's July 28

bsc
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:
bsc wrote:As many of you know, the Olympics start on August 8th, 2008 in Beijing. This thread will be for Olympics enthusiasts, rather than about the political side of China and the Olympics (of which even as of today there is developing news of a hubub going on).

Only a month and a half left until the games begin!

don't you mean a week and a half? it's July 28

yea :oops: month/week same thing i fixed it, thanks for pointin it out :D
Image Image

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

The US-Netherlands game sohuld be fun to watch. I'm not sure who I'll be rooting for, really. Holland is my pick for the entire tourney. At least I'll finally get to see Drenthe play for Holland, I haven't seen him play in the longest time thanks to Van Basten.

How long should I set the game to record for on my DVR?(the game comes on at 5:45 a.m. here, I think)

soccer11
Admin

BGbeast23 wrote:The US-Netherlands game sohuld be fun to watch. I'm not sure who I'll be rooting for, really. Holland is my pick for the entire tourney. At least I'll finally get to see Drenthe play for Holland, I haven't seen him play in the longest time thanks to Van Basten.

How long should I set the game to record for on my DVR?(the game comes on at 5:45 a.m. here, I think)
i'd say set it until like 8 or 8:15, just to be safe

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

I'll be watching the US men's marathon team (look out for Ryan Hall), Jeremy Wariner WR holder for 400 (he lives in arlington, TX; about 20 minutes from where I live), the US soccer team of course, and the cycling.

Going to be a great Olympics hopefully.

powell
English Meister

Im pretty excited about the games. I love watching almost every event. Im pretty interested in the running this year. Team GB have some good runners. Also the swimming, boxing, football, hockey and cycling looks really interesting, and id love to see GB win the gold in badminton this year as it will be the final time our Emms and Robertson will play together so heres hoping the get the gold.

Im really happy Dwain Chambers isnt particapating either. Hes such a bad influence for everyone in the games and a good desicion not to let him back in. There were rules in place and he knew them so why break them.

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Does anyone know what channels will be showing the Olympics. I am talking about soccer no other events. I really want to follow the usa.
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

powell
English Meister

chicagofirefan wrote:Does anyone know what channels will be showing the Olympics. I am talking about soccer no other events. I really want to follow the usa.
Probley on the same channel as all the other events are. Thats what its like here in enlgand but you can chose what event u want to watch through 'interactive'