For wimps?

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
goose43
Sophomore Member

Im not familiar with rugby. Is there a rule on where you can hit somebody? like on the body or something. In american football you can hit anybody anywhere( except in the nfl a few years ago they forced suspensions on people who tackled helmet to helmet.) But basically everything besides that is fair game.

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

You cant tackle around the neck, and you cant pick people up and throw them. In Rugby it is more about tackling to bring them down and stop them running with the ball. There is also another type of tackle players have used in recent years where they pretty much strangle them, called grapple tackle, although referees have picked up on this.

You can still put hits on people though, it is allowed but you just have to make sure its not high, there are good youtube videos of rugby hits, similar to nfl hits really they just arent as common because of the nature of the game.

AJman2
New User

another thing...
rugby players don't wear padding in general

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

Yeah they dont wear any although some players wear headgear. It is true though in rugby the aim is not to smash the opposition, just to stop them, so the tackles arent designed to hurt, but with the size of rugby players, it still does.

freestylejordan

Oh and in Rugby when a ruck is started (Thats when the guy running is tackled to the ground and the teams forwards guard the ball from a steal) Players on offense are eligible to stomp on any player on the opposing team that is lying on top of the ball. Thats when it can get dangerous. Also when scrums collapse, props and hookers damage their necks all the time

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

um, rugby players wear cleats too right? So getting stomped on would hurt

And "scrums", "props" and "hookers"??? :? :?
srry not very familiar with rugby terminology...although "hookers" I can deal with :D

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

A common misconception is that the pads protect you and deaden the hits. That is true to a degree, but look at the flip side... The pads protect the HITTERS too, allowing them to barrel into a target at top speed as fast as they please. You don't get that luxury in rugby as, someone as said, hits are design to stop, not decimate.

But the topic isn't about rugby... :P

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

aha I can't even remember how it changed to a rugby discussion...
I think someone said, "soccer is prolly the toughest sport except for....rugby"... Something along those lines anyways, but I think thats how it started...:)

Nat_H
Veteran Member

IDK if this vid has been posted here yet...but I think this all but proves that football is NOT FOR WIMPS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsK3V9W3 ... re=related

I actually saw a very similar episode to this, a fellow striker's leg collided w/ the keeper's head. Both of his leg bones broke all the way through. It was sick, and I only a few yards away. *shudders*

Unfortunately things like this happen, but hey, the game moves on. Let the wimps fall to the wayside, I'll keep playing.

Middleman13
Veteran Member

hahah..Soccer is aPussy sport??

fu**ing Football(american) Players wear more paddding then a soldier in Iraq :roll:
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you will die today.