For wimps?

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
Nat_H
Veteran Member

In America, soccer (football), is definitely not the most widely-followed sport. It is behind American football (NFL), baseball, basketball, and hockey in popularity. This is not saying that there are no soccer fans or players (there are a lot) here, but probably 75% percent of soccer fans in the US follow another sport with equal or greater passion.

Moving on to my point...

I run across people who think soccer is for wimps, or that soccer players are wimpy...they see the (professional) players get hurt soooooo easily and call it ridiculous. Now I know that sometimes when a player goes down "injured" in a game, there are cases when it is just theatrics, but even I myself look at pro players rolling on the pitch and think "that really didn't look like that hard of a hit...did it?"...So our discussion moves on to them bringing up how tough NFL players are and how tough hockey players are because they never wimp out when they get hit. I am quick to tell them that these people are covered head to toe in padding, lol. This does not seem enough to convince people that soccer players are not wimps...any thoughts?

Note: I am not talking about players that dive (fake a foul) but players that fake (or don't fake) an injury.

Collins91

Whenever someone tell's me all footballers are wimps I point them in the direction of Roy Keane.
Thier mind quickly changes :D

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

what do they mean soccer is wimpy...simple things like shielding the ball gets u hit up....inch and a quarter studs hitting u all over ur body and u still run like nothing happened and that is what they call wimpy...basketball is wimpy(to a certain extent)
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I've given up trying to explain soccer to an NFL fan or other sports fan. They just don't get it. It used to make me mad when people would say "soccer is for wimps" or something similar but i've accepted it. It's just too hard to try and change someones mind.

I do like to say that NFL is for wimps lol, I mean look at all the padding they wear compared to Rugby players. I know there 2 different sports but there a lot similar.

Honestly though I would rather watch soccer than any other sport in America. I don't really like american football, baseball to me is beyond boring and too slow, I occasionally watch basketball and hockey. However, I would never choose another sport over watching a soccer game especially if my team (arsenal) is playing or the usa national team.

This is slightly off topic but my psych professor in the fall was from Britain and a tottenham fan. I'm an arsenal fan, we tried to explain to the class the rivilary between the two clubs but they didn't get it. They kept trying to compare it to a rivilary between 2 nfl teams. I was like no its much more than that, people take it very seriously people get in fights and some even end up in the hospital or dead. They still didn't grasp it. Soccer rivilaries can't compare to other sports rivilaries.

My local paper had an article about Italian soccer fans and the trouble they were causing at the matches. My dad saw it and said "crazy soccer fans". People just don't get how passionate soccer fans are. Ok back on topic lol sorry.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

what do they mean soccer is wimpy
Well for example, you see players get fouled, say they get clipped on the back of the heel. The fouled player (obviously) goes down with a look of agony on his face. People see this, and on the replay since it doesn't look like a there was whole lot of contact, they say "Oh my gosh how could that possibly hurt!? Dude if that guy played hockey he would probably die of shock!" lol kind of like that...I mean this comes from people who don't play soccer so I tell them they underestimate the speed of the play and that there are actually SPIKES on the bottom of those guys' cleats. I think its just because they don't understand the sport...but I can't really make them understand...so like afc08 said I guess we gotta accept it.

Wuzi

I have to deal with the same sh*t in my school. I get made fun of by the football players, but there my friends and they mostly just goof around because i'm bigger and strogger than most of them. but whats even worse is that soccer players get made fun of by some teachers(who are the football coaches)

DeeChan

I think the quarterback with a sprained wrist is a massive injury concern than a tackle from behind.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Use to have that "problem" at my school, then we had some football players go to indoor games, and kick arounds that we would go all out in. They changed their minds :P

and diving players are wimps IMO

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

omg I can't even tell u how much of a problem it is here... I hear "soccer is for pussies" every single day... Especially from this one hockey player in my math class... So I fought him... and u don't wanna know what happened.. Hehe :D

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

You got killed? :lol:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

I love how ur so funny rzad... An honor talking to you...*wets his pants* "MOMMY!!!!!"

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

rzadzinski wrote:You got killed? :lol:
Dear Rzad, why didn't U send him to heaven? Did he do anything wrong?

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

Rzad:" he double posted on the Nike topic. !!!!!! :x "

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Don't worry guys! There is absolutely noooo reason to believe that I am concerned that we are just a littttle bit off topic here. :wink:

Anyone else have any thoughts about the topic?

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

Nat_H wrote:Don't worry guys! There is absolutely noooo reason to believe that I am concerned that we are just a littttle bit off topic here. :wink:

Anyone else have any thoughts about the topic?
LOL I know but this IS the "off-topic" section :D . Besides, I already posted my little "incident".