Lazy or distracted to get out and PLAY

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
panchester07
Veteran Member

Hi, i go to sleep everynight and wake up everyday saying: Francesco, today youre going to practice, no excuses, then youll do your homework adn then if you have time youll mess around with the computer.. But when im done with school, i start thinking to much on the girl in geometry class and her violent curves, and then i get distracted from my goal, and turn on the computer and start messing around, some times, yet other times I do go out, and then i have another problem, i start thinking about damn you should have a girlfriend right now, and dont focus!!! :evil:
its a little frustrating..

Any ideas of what i should do? or could do? basically the problem is I mess around to much!

Thank you for the advice

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

"Turn on the computer and start messing around", woah. :shock:

Anyways, it happens to everyone. Sometimes you think that this girl or that girl is the perfect girl for you, and you end up getting INFATUATED (hence the messing around). Trust me, having a whole bunch of good buds is a much better time than having a girlfriend. And you shouldn't not be focusing because of that. When you're practicing, you should be...well practicing. Don't be desperate, the time will come when the right girl (the one that you like and the one who likes you) will come. Just stop messing around on the computer, and enjoy your life while you can (referring to Ronaldo and his ouch injury)

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:Hi, i go to sleep everynight and wake up everyday saying: Francesco, today youre going to practice, no excuses, then youll do your homework adn then if you have time youll mess around with the computer.. But when im done with school, i start thinking to much on the girl in geometry class and her violent curves, and then i get distracted from my goal, and turn on the computer and start messing around, some times, yet other times I do go out, and then i have another problem, i start thinking about damn you should have a girlfriend right now, and dont focus!!! :evil:
its a little frustrating..

Any ideas of what i should do? or could do? basically the problem is I mess around to much!

Thank you for the advice
Holy sh*t man, we have the exact exact same problems. I also get distracted by this girl in my math class and I do the same thing when I get home, I go straight to the computer and do nothing when i should be studying or doing homework. Like right now, I'm on the computer when I should be studying for my Chemistry test tomorrow!! :evil:

But there comes a point when you just gotta slap yourself in the face and say to yourself "Stop messing around!!!" Remember that it is easy to get distracted so what I do is I try to stay away from distractions. My computer is in my room so I don't go in my room when I need to do homework or study. Simple things like this may help keep you on track.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

I always found rewards as a good motivation. For example, if I complete a hard training session, I will let myself play Football Manager until I go to bed, or if I score a goal in a real game I let myself eat dessert. It requires a high level of discipline to do this, but if you can I feel it works best.
Last edited by mpcarres14 on 15 Feb 2008, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
God damn brewery!!!

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Yeah true, I often reward myself with computer time after training. I sometimes do drift off from what I should be doing, a lot of the time I find a really good book and I cant stop reading and yeah. It takes a bit of time to develop your will power and discipline. this post has helped me get back on track when I start messing around viewtopic.php?t=7957

Also I wouldnt go wild over this girl. There will be time when you'll get to ask her out and get to discover her personality.
Sig by me

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Determination and discipline.

Have a friend who is a football junkie who will call U every now and then asking U to play football. My best friend would call me almost everyday except days when we have piles of homework. At night, after kicking around only the two of us (people in our neighbourhood think we were weird), we would play CM 00/01 online with each other.

Rewards? Champions in 1999, 2000 and 2001. I played RB while he played CB.

Sad thing is, he is pursuing his career in the army while I am stuck in IT.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I've been sitting here injured for the last six months and you guys are complaining about how it's so difficult to make yourselves go out and train. F*ck, if I was healthy like you right now, it would take a small army to get me away from the training ground. I love training- even the boring stuff. Just knowing that I am working towards my goal ultimate goal of going pro is enough to keep me motivated. Noticing little bits of progress along the way makes everything worthwhile. For me, I have to discipline myself to come in from training and do my homework and surf the computer, not the other way around. Every day at school all I would think about is that bell ringing at the end of the day meaning I could go out and train.

Forget about girls, forget about school work, forget about the computer, get your ass out there and play soccer! Dedication will pay off. Each time I have stepped up my training I have improved more and more, advancing to higher levels of play. There are many players who were consistently better than me for the better part of my youth whom I have now passed in terms of technical and athletic ability due to dedication, determination, and ambition. I decided I wanted to improve so I took matters into my own hands and did it. It's that simple.

Think about how much you truly want to improve as a player and how far you want to go in the sport. If you wholeheartedly want to play professionally then that should be motivation enough to get you training/conditioning every day. The only thing that can keep you from succeeding is yourself.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

I hear what you mean, but my training lasts a minimum of 3-4 hours a day, not including ab work and weight training (although I do weights in school). Haven't missed a day in two months, and that was through injury. But there are some days when I just have jelly legs, and to get through it is a big achievement for me. But I know where you're coming from. On Tuesday, my next door neighbor (another player, but everything came natural to him and he never works, I have surpassed him within the past two years or so) was astonished when I shoveled my driveway just to train (he was even more stunned to see me going at it still when he came back two hours later). I don't love training with a passion (I hate cardio exercises and agility ladder stuff in fact), but I do realize that this is the only way that I can make it far, especially seeing as we Americans are already at a disadvantage to others as we (or at least I) didn't grow up playing from after school until dark, as it just isn't popular here, and instead we are forced to make up all this lost time in the final years of our youth. But that's just what we were born into I guess. However, there is more hope than you would believe that you can go as far as you dream. My belief is that most pros start with a base gifted level like many of their peers, but that through excellent work ethic, a fantastic coach who gives them personal feedback, and a bit of luck with scouting, they are able to take the next step higher than their friends. If you ever have any doubts about whether you can make it, just go through the list. For example, I feel that I was born with a natural technical talent, I am able to work hard every day on training (which has gotten my touch to an almost ideal level and is currently building my agility up greatly), I have two coaches who are both willing to train my on my own whenever and provide crucial pointers (while one has acted almost as a second father for me), and now I'm just hoping to get scouted while maintaining my training. TH14 was obviously born with talent, he played for hours as a kid, had an extremely motivating father who pushed him to the limit, and got lucky with a scout from Monaco. I hope you get my point.
God damn brewery!!!

panchester07
Veteran Member

THank you guys, I get all of your points, i was thinking and it reminded me of a famous quote:

"We've met the enemy it is us"

the enemy isnt the other team or the ref or the angry fans, its you your inner negative voice, your lazyness, you focusing on other things, and how yo view the world that surrounds you..

Everytime my inner voice says something negative, or gets lazy im gonna take him, and give him a go "internal slap" and tame him, cause im the one that is in control here I have to have in mind that theres always someone practicing and if im slacking off, while he is practicing guess whos gonna win, exactly......

researching i found this true story in a newspaper its a little off topic but it fits well with fighting the inner negative feelings you have..
here it goes

Whenever Paula Bruner, 45, is presented with an opportunity for career advancement, she must make a case for why she's the right person for the job. However, it's not her boss or another colleague that the Washington, D.C.-based employment discrimination attorney must convince. Rather, it is herself. "All these negative thoughts come to my mind," says Bruner.

Everyone suffers from moments of doubt. "The inner critic is that voice that comes from the negative messages usually derived from childhood," says Dr. Dionne Hollis, a psychologist based in Cincinnati. It says such things as 'you're not good enough,' 'you're not smart enough,' or even 'you shouldn't wear your hair like that because people might not think it's attractive,'" Hollis continues.

Bruner's inner critic was particularly brutal during the months after she had finished law school and was studying to take the bar exam. "It would say, 'you're probably not going to pass," she says.

That's when Bruner learned how to counteract those negative thoughts. "When the negative voice would speak I would say to myself, "I know you studied, you're going to pass," she recalls. "It would say 'you know most people don't pass the bar the first time.' And I would respond, 'yeah, but I'm going to pass the bar because I can't afford to take it again.' l never allowed the negativity to rest. It was always a debate. Fortunately, the positive typically prevails."

The key to managing your inner critic is how you respond. "Are you going to agree with what the critic said or are you going to counter it with something positive?" asks Niambi Jarvis, founder of Hiyaah Power (www.hiyaahpower.com) and co-author of 100 Words of Wisdom for Women (Renaissance Press; $16.95).

Another way to disarm the inner critic: "Write a letter to your critic and tell it off," says Hollis. "Or, I've had people draw what their critic looks like and give it a silly name. That takes the power away from the critic."

Whatever method you use to combat the inner critic's ugly messages, the key is to be persistent and to exercise your faith. "When that inner voice gets tired of being beaten down, it won't rise up as quickly the next time," Bruner says.

B.E.'S SUCCESSPERT SPEAKS

Your inner critic does not have to be your biggest enemy. Niambi Jarvis, founder of the online empowerment community Hiyaah Power, offers the following strategies for working through your sell-doubt:

Correct the critic gently. Every time you have a negative thought, write it down. Then, immediately follow it with a positive statement. "When you acknowledge the blessings or the bounties in your life, you balance the critic."

Learn the critic's lessons. Your inner critic often points out weaknesses that you can improve upon. "Take the steps to actually make that effective change in your life," says Jarvis.

panchester07
Veteran Member

oh and thank you for answering guys i feel good now that i know im not the only one, and the methods yall use

Hugh
Veteran Member

Croatianblood1 wrote:But there comes a point when you just gotta slap yourself in the face and say to yourself "Stop messing around!!!"
With your other hand I assume?

I really don't have much else to add, although I will say that for me, the best incentive to train has allways been that I consider the best training to be playing so basically I play wherever I can, in fact I feature regularly at my dad's team's practices and in-team indoor tournaments. I like to play, and practice makes perfect.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

This case is like how I needed to up my frequency in the gym from once a week session.

I was putting on weight and kept telling myself but never really practised it. Until recently, I signed up for my workplace's gym and reminded myself, if I never go here, my money will be wasted.

Since U guys are still young, think of the rewards U can get. I would like to add more medals but yet to synchronise my timing with my interests. Yet to achieve sport: Roller and ice-hockey.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Kakasgotskillz wrote:"Turn on the computer and start messing around", woah. :shock:

Anyways, it happens to everyone. Sometimes you think that this girl or that girl is the perfect girl for you, and you end up getting INFATUATED (hence the messing around). Trust me, having a whole bunch of good buds is a much better time than having a girlfriend. And you shouldn't not be focusing because of that. When you're practicing, you should be...well practicing. Don't be desperate, the time will come when the right girl (the one that you like and the one who likes you) will come. Just stop messing around on the computer, and enjoy your life while you can (referring to Ronaldo and his ouch injury)
great piece of advice, guys emotions are hard to control, but girl come and go at the end of the day and as hard as it is, youve just gotta think about it like that, the right girl will come at the right time, there is no rush at all. Just cos ur mates are going round boasting about having girlfriends and you look at their girlfriends and wish u were hitting that and stuff, it really doesnt matter, this girl your infuatated maybe the biggest bitch in the world, as had2bharry said you will get to know her personality and things like that. I had a similiar computer problem to you at first, but now im out there training hard, so get off your backside and start playing some football!
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Hugh wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:But there comes a point when you just gotta slap yourself in the face and say to yourself "Stop messing around!!!"
With your other hand I assume?

I really don't have much else to add, although I will say that for me, the best incentive to train has allways been that I consider the best training to be playing so basically I play wherever I can, in fact I feature regularly at my dad's team's practices and in-team indoor tournaments. I like to play, and practice makes perfect.
Who says you gotta use your hand? :wink:

ratherton
Veteran Member

You can give yourself rewards etc as suggested but ultimately it comes down to this...

If you want to go out and play, you'll do it. If you don't, you'll always find an excuse not to.