about school's varsity tryouts for soccer

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
soccer

Hi, i wanted to ask about something. Im a defender and im trying out for my school's team. And i have been doing ok in scrimgage games last 3 weeks of conditioning( we would play after we run). I would have a few good days and then i would have a few bad days and what not. I been making sure i learn from my mistakes and stuff. still im making mistakes and stuff :evil: Im doing ok compared to the other defenders who have experience of playing on the high school team and i dont really.

And tryouts started yesterday, i was thinking about asking my coach on what are the chances of me making the varsity team based on how i have been doing last few weeks and stuff. So i know to either work harder or play how i been playing lately. Good idea or no?

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

You should always strive to be playing your best. 'nuff said.

soccer

yeah, i always strive to do my best!

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

soccer wrote:yeah, i always strive to do my best!
Then you should have no problems :D

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

iwannagopro wrote:You should always strive to be playing your best. 'nuff said.
Oh the wise words of our iwgp.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

2brown347
Veteran Member

ask your coach, a lot of high school coaches like that stuff and feel it shows your dedication and what-not. I got screwed by not doing it this season.

soccer

so your saying i should ask my coach about my chances of making the varsity team based on how i been doing last few weeks? so i know if i need to work harder and stuff? will i look stupid asking this question? i hope not. Know the roster is announced like next thuesday(15th of nov)....should i wait to ask him a few days before or ask him ASAP?

2brown347
Veteran Member

Don't ask if your gonna make it, but ask what you need to do to make it.
It shows that you wanna make it and want to know how to improve, I would ask ASAP

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

never ask if your going to make it, that is a coach's instinctive pet peeve. Just go out try your best, look good, do good, and your all good. :shock:

2brown347
Veteran Member

Thats what I'm saying but asking what you need to do shows that you want to improve, but you should go 100% no matter wat.

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

you should always be striving to play harder. never settle.

and you're always going to make mistakes, even the pros do it. the key is realizing the error and correcting it. that is what makes a great player and once you can do this and do it well, you will have no problem starting, let alone making the team.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

Davidson9
Veteran Member

coaches hate when you complain about making mistakes, but they like when you admit when you did something wrong, they like to see that you're a hard worker, and that you are willing to improve and win at all costs

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I totally agree with Karlofootball10 and 2brown347. You should ask the coach which aspects of your game he would like to see you improve.

Don't get discouraged if he says a lot of things! I went to a college camp over the summer and at the end of it I asked the coach what he would like to see me improve. He told me I should try to get better in so many aspects of the game I thought he didn't think I was a good player. But now he is practically begging me to come and play for his team next season. He was extremely critical of me but he had only the intention of helping me improve. He never meant to make me doubt myself. So if you get a response that doesn't sound promising do not take it the wrong way. His response will not indicate your chances of making the team. He's only trying to help you become better.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

ajc wrote:I totally agree with Karlofootball10 and 2brown347. You should ask the coach which aspects of your game he would like to see you improve.

Don't get discouraged if he says a lot of things! I went to a college camp over the summer and at the end of it I asked the coach what he would like to see me improve. He told me I should try to get better in so many aspects of the game I thought he didn't think I was a good player. But now he is practically begging me to come and play for his team next season. He was extremely critical of me but he had only the intention of helping me improve. He never meant to make me doubt myself. So if you get a response that doesn't sound promising do not take it the wrong way. His response will not indicate your chances of making the team. He's only trying to help you become better.
I've got the same thing from my coach of my new team. They called me and pretty much said they wanted me on their team. So I joined and now I am getting a lot of things which I can improve on, which is good!
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin