Martial Arts

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
Hugh
Veteran Member

The title of this topic might be a bit misleading, it's actually not about which Martial Art is the best, I'm actually wondering if you guys could help me out with something.

Come the new year I've decided I want to start taking martial arts lessons, so I've been checking out many of the different styles and forms there are (my head hurts from the spelling) and in the end very few styles of martial arts have appealed to me, so I'll show you the list and what I thought of each style:

Jeet Kune Do (JKD): As of right now this is my favourite, it being the personal style of Bruce Lee and also not a style that is restricted by conforming to forms or stances, also called "the intercepting fist"
Ninjutsu: Who doesn't want to be a ninja? Pretty effective style, ninjas aside
Wing Chun: Bruce Lee's original style of Kung Fu, it's not a pretty style of Kung Fu but it is highly effective and very disorienting for your opponent

So right now those are the main contenders, I looked at Shaolin, and that seems too much like a life discipline, also please don't tell me to do TKD because I really don't like it, too many rules, and too much high kicking involved.

For the record the other styles I've examined and rejected are: Drunken fist (seriously, it's a style), Mantis, Monkey, Dim Mak (good luck finding someone to teach me that), Jiu Jiutsu, Judo, Karate, Iron Fist (that one's weird), Wing Tsun, any form of Sambo and xingyiquan.

So please if anyone could maybe point out a discipline I haven't taken a look at please tell me or if they could help me choose between those remaining three that'd be great.

Cheers!

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

I've always been intrigued by capuera, although I'm not too sure that it's too effective if you're looking to defend yourself.
God damn brewery!!!

dareliss
Veteran Member

I know were is one style what people can stand against it even if they ar masters they will kill them ill look for it, and try to find it...
Impossible Is Nothing. Impossible is the last shot. Impossible is the last game.

Sig by me... :)

shahensha
Veteran Member

shaolin soccer!!!

I would go for Jeet Kun Do really. The way of the intercepting fist. As the legend himself said, "be the water, water takes any form"

Clumsylegs
Veteran Member

I have a orange belt in judo. I stopped doing it, because football is like 10 times more fun. Also the weight dropping before competitions is annoying.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Eric Cantona's school of kung fu? :P

thrillboy
Veteran Member

i would go with Krav Maga. its a high-intenstiy workout.from israel based on hand to hand combat based on real-life conditions such as mugs, and street fights. The aim is to neutralize the threat by escaping or causing maximum damage.
It emphasizes that there are no rules in fights.
As you move up there will be different situations youll be trained on such as knife attacks, gunpoint, multiple assailants and stuff.
Procrastination is like masterbation, it feels good at first, but in the end youre just f'ing yourself. :lol:

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I would go with REX KWON DO

By the way, the fight scenes in the Bourne movies were based from JKD, that one seems cool.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

I was halfway to a black belt before I started footy in a more serious manner. I was taking mixed martial arts, so I was learning snippets of taekwando (sh*t how do you spell that :P), judo, and a bunch of other stuff. My teacher was an ex-Navy seal. He was buff :shock:

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

ajc, Amen to Rex Kwon Do, it changed my life.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

unknown

ok well here goes:
jeet kune do is actually just a seminar that u attend so i dont recommend this if its ure starting style. With ninjutsu its hard to find "real" teachers so if u can find out go for it. I would recommend wing chun/tsun but chooses an optimal style really depends on ure body style. that is not to say that u should limit ureself to choosing styles which go 4 just ure body type. Another thing is the reason ure taking martial arts. do u want to learn self defence, train your body, seek a warriors path, etc. (also i noticed u mentioned wing chun and wing tsun seperatly they r the same thing and iron fist is a technique in which u harden ure fists by constantly striking a hard service though there are styles devoted to this)

edit* btw some styles u might wanna take a look at: aikido (been told that this is considered the most useful martial arts in a street fight, its mostly throws, locks, etc.)
muai thai: very lethal martial arts that a lot of fun to practice u better have a sh**load of endurance and cardio tho
sumo!!!: im just kidding :D

Hugh
Veteran Member

Actually the places I've looked at that offer instruction in JKD don't just do the seminar they also look at the techniques involved in the JKD punches and kicks, they also offer instruction in various areas associated with JKD such as Wing Chun.

Also, it's a small difference but Wing Tsun is actually a small sect of Wing Chun which is growing quickly in China that has some very interesting ideas on the perfect punch. And the weirdness in the iron fist I was referring to is that there is a school of Iron Fist where they teach students to swing their fist around in a circle for a minute before punching someone, this will make all the blood rush to the fist which will cause the fist to become exceptionally hard and un-yielding for a minute or so.

fourstar2

Sorry I brought this topic back up. But if you haven't picked a Martial Art yet. Take up Muay Thai. The most dangerous and most simple martial art in the world.

Davidson9
Veteran Member

its ok as long as you had something good to say, personally i would want to do muaykodchasarn its this kind of muay thai

unknown

very late reply but i guess better late then never :?:
JKD is more about the philosophy but it does have techniques so yea its a good choice but again i wudnt recommend it as a starting point since u loose the whole notion of not being rigid by relying on the technques u then learn since u have no other experience. Also the iron fist technique u mentioned is the same thing just a different offshoot its about hardening the fist as u said. its really personnal preference why u dont u check out some places that let u come in for a week for free or let u observe some of the classes first.

ofcourse this is all assuming u havent already made a choice and moved on in which case this whole post was pointless :D