Best all-around athlete

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 29 Aug 2007, 18:45

But with Schumacher's endorsements he was only a couple million shy of Tiger.

Yes Schumacher did respect Hakkinen as a fierce competitor, and I was cheering for Mika back in the day, and Raikkonen and Kubica as of now. But Schumacher I think, really qualifies into that super athlete thing.

Federer as well, but watch out for Djokovic in the coming years...
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 29 Aug 2007, 19:54

EPL_Fan wrote:Speaking of Tiger...
Tiger Woods isn't even close to being one of the greatest physical specimens. I mean, he's a golfer, not saying that he isn't one of the best sportsmen ever, because that may be true. But he isn't anywhere near the athletic prowess that the other people mentioned here are.

God damn brewery!!!

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 29 Aug 2007, 19:58

Yes, Tiger has his strong points, and I'm sure at many things he can beat some athletes, but not the all around "athlete" monster. I still think he's the best in shape of all the golfers (he is really in shape).
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

Post by barcahooligan » 29 Aug 2007, 21:12

mpcarres14 wrote:
Tiger Woods isn't even close to being one of the greatest physical specimens. I mean, he's a golfer, not saying that he isn't one of the best sportsmen ever, because that may be true. But he isn't anywhere near the athletic prowess that the other people mentioned here are.
i have to disagree on this one, for not having "the athletic prowess that the other people mentioned here" he is one of the farthest dirvers of the ball on the PGA tour. For a golfer he is the fittest on tour, not to mention he won the "Whos-Now" on ESPNs Sportcenter.
sig by 2brown347

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 29 Aug 2007, 21:12

rzadzinski wrote:
soccer11 wrote:i'm going to agree with the Mike Vick one. he's a fantastic athlete and was considered the fastest player in the NBA

another one i thought of is LeBron James. he is 6'9 i believe, maybe 6'8 but acts like a pointguard. he has the body of a big man but moves around like little guard. i don't even know how much of a vertical leap he has but enough to where his eyes can be parallel with the rim.

a lot of those basketball players are great athletes in my opinion
Vick the fastest in the NBA? :P
haha i didn't even realise that. i know he's in the NFL. i was writing about Vick but already thinking ahead to LeBron :oops: oh well, it was early

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 29 Aug 2007, 21:15

soccer11 wrote:
rzadzinski wrote:
soccer11 wrote:i'm going to agree with the Mike Vick one. he's a fantastic athlete and was considered the fastest player in the NBA

another one i thought of is LeBron James. he is 6'9 i believe, maybe 6'8 but acts like a pointguard. he has the body of a big man but moves around like little guard. i don't even know how much of a vertical leap he has but enough to where his eyes can be parallel with the rim.

a lot of those basketball players are great athletes in my opinion
Vick the fastest in the NBA? :P
haha i didn't even realise that. i know he's in the NFL. i was writing about Vick but already thinking ahead to LeBron :oops: oh well, it was early
Haha, it's alright most of us make mistakes. :P

-Alexander Ovechkin

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 29 Aug 2007, 22:12

There are two people who I would say are among the best all-around athletes ever. The first is Bo Jackson. He played in the NFL and the MLB and was the MVP of the MLB all star game in the same year he was voted to the Pro Bowl in the NFL. He said that he only played football because it was a hobby and he enjoyed playing, yet he won the Heismen trophy (the most prestigious individual award a collegiate player can win) as a running back , which is arguably the most physically demanding position on the field. In baseball he was a fantastic outfielder and belted out 30 homeruns a year. There will never be an athlete like him again. And it's not like he did this back in the 1920's or something when playing two professional sports might not have meant as much- this was in the 80's.

Heck, when Bo struck out he was known for smashing his bat clean in half over his knee or even his helmet. For those who haven't held an official MLB bat before, doing that is absolutely ridiculous. The guy was a freak of nature.

The second person who comes to mind is Jim Brown. This is from ESPN.com: "Brown was one of the greatest NFL running backs of all time, an All-American lacrosse player who was one of the finest ever, averaged 38 points per game in high school basketball and lettered in hoops at Syracuse, finished fifth in the 1956 national decathlon championship, was offered a minor-league deal by the Yankees, and could have been a pro boxer after he retired."
Click it

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 29 Aug 2007, 23:24

barcahooligan wrote:
mpcarres14 wrote:
i have to disagree on this one, for not having "the athletic prowess that the other people mentioned here" he is one of the farthest dirvers of the ball on the PGA tour. For a golfer he is the fittest on tour, not to mention he won the "Whos-Now" on ESPNs Sportcenter.
We're talking about all-around athlete. Those who are fit, can sprint, jump, tackle, punch, kick, or anything like that. Tiger Woods comes no where close to anyone else on here. Sure he can swing a golf club, Woopie!

But the man has a ton of talent.

flyhigh19
Veteran Member

Post by flyhigh19 » 30 Aug 2007, 00:39

Yeah if you compare Tiger Woods in athletics (sprinting, jumping, strength, etc.) with guys like Lebron James or Michael Vick, he would get beat in every catagory.

the_pwner
Sophomore Member

Post by the_pwner » 30 Aug 2007, 04:38

wat r u arguin bout... i mean kinda obviuos

i m da best

no duh!

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

Post by barcahooligan » 30 Aug 2007, 18:16

Real_Zidane wrote:
barcahooligan wrote:
mpcarres14 wrote: Tiger Woods isn't even close to being one of the greatest physical specimens. I mean, he's a golfer, not saying that he isn't one of the best sportsmen ever, because that may be true. But he isn't anywhere near the athletic prowess that the other people mentioned here are.
We're talking about all-around athlete. Those who are fit, can sprint, jump, tackle, punch, kick, or anything like that. Tiger Woods comes no where close to anyone else on here. Sure he can swing a golf club, Woopie!

But the man has a ton of talent.
I guess you've got a point there, i was thinking best all around athlete in that sport.
sig by 2brown347

t3h_b0ner

Post by t3h_b0ner » 30 Aug 2007, 18:56

meh n the_pwner r da bestest in da world.