Best all-around athlete

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Best all-around athlete

Post by mpcarres14 » 29 Aug 2007, 13:27

As we all know, football isn't the only sport to produce fantastic physical specimens. In this topic, name all of the top athletes that you can think of and say why. I'll start with some of mine.

--Mike Tyson in the 80s: Anyone who hasn't seen this guy fight when he was on top of his defensive and tactical game has missed something very special. His quick feet, defensive mobility and ability to weave and dodge punches, and his unbelievable punching power make him one of the best boxers ever. At 5'11" and 220 pounds, he was all muscle and could go forever in the ring. Too bad he was a complete nutter, as it took away from his career longevity, but you have to think that if he had been a bit less wild, he wouldn't be half as good as he was.

--Michael Vick: Just watch him play in the NFL, his pace, strength, and size made him one of the biggest physical threats I have ever seen in any sport.

--Thierry Henry: Granted, now it seems as though he is physically past his prime, but three years ago, he was simply stunning. He never, ever got hurt, and he did have the pace of an olympic sprinter. His strength is also ignored a lot of the time as well.

--Bruce Lee: Simply unbelievable how well he took care of his body and the things he could do with it. Apparantly, being kicked by one of his side kicks made you feel like you were being hit by a car.

God damn brewery!!!

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 29 Aug 2007, 14:08

i'm going to agree with the Mike Vick one. he's a fantastic athlete and was considered the fastest player in the NBA

another one i thought of is LeBron James. he is 6'9 i believe, maybe 6'8 but acts like a pointguard. he has the body of a big man but moves around like little guard. i don't even know how much of a vertical leap he has but enough to where his eyes can be parallel with the rim.

a lot of those basketball players are great athletes in my opinion

Clumsylegs
Veteran Member

Post by Clumsylegs » 29 Aug 2007, 15:08

Muhammad Ali Even better that Tyson imho.

Sergei Bubka As wikipedia says it "He is widely regarded as the best pole vaulter ever and one of the best athletes of modern times."

Very good topic.

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

Post by barcahooligan » 29 Aug 2007, 15:21

Physically & Mentally: Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts is one of the most well-rounded athletes there is. He is also one of the hardest working athletes.
sig by 2brown347

flyhigh19
Veteran Member

Post by flyhigh19 » 29 Aug 2007, 16:14

I think Vince Carter was a tremendous athlete in his early 20s during the time he won the 2000 slam dunk contest. He still is now but has lost some of it. His vertical was amazing and his head could reach over the rim at around nose level and he was 6'6. He was also pretty fast and was strong. He also jumped over a 7'2 center in the 2000 olympics and dunked on him. He could literally dunk on anyone with his strength and hops. He could also basically hang in the air.

Michael Vick is another guy who is a great athlete.

I also think Ronaldo (Brazil) at his prime was very athletic. He was strong, very fast, and had pace.
Last edited by flyhigh19 on 29 Aug 2007, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 29 Aug 2007, 16:16

Lance Armstrong, for obvious reasons.

EDIT:

I knew there was one more,

Wayne Gretzky, without a doubt the best hockey play of all time (Canadian too), now sadly relegated to doing McDonald's and Ford commercials in playoff season but hey, we all remember you Wayne, you were unstoppable.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 29 Aug 2007, 16:41

soccer11 wrote:i'm going to agree with the Mike Vick one. he's a fantastic athlete and was considered the fastest player in the NBA

another one i thought of is LeBron James. he is 6'9 i believe, maybe 6'8 but acts like a pointguard. he has the body of a big man but moves around like little guard. i don't even know how much of a vertical leap he has but enough to where his eyes can be parallel with the rim.

a lot of those basketball players are great athletes in my opinion
Vick the fastest in the NBA? :P
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 29 Aug 2007, 16:42

Lebron and Vick. Just so so talented at all sports.

ForzaMilan
Veteran Member

Post by ForzaMilan » 29 Aug 2007, 16:43

He is in the NFL buddy :)

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 29 Aug 2007, 16:50

Dare I say Michael Schumacher in Formula 1? He was on top of his game for sooo long.

Most people don't even know the kind of strain these drivers go through and for incredible amounts of time as well. Schumacher stepped training up to the maximum and he was untouchable for so long with all of his skills, mental and physical.

Here's some articles for you to believe me:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/feature/feature/73/1

http://www.mclaren.com/features/driver/ ... itness.php
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 29 Aug 2007, 17:27

Here's a video of Mike Tyson that I forgot to post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmnXgCumcog The defensive skills at 0:45 and at 1:10 are simply awesome.

God damn brewery!!!

EPL_Fan
New User

Post by EPL_Fan » 29 Aug 2007, 17:48

I second for Michael Schumacher, mentally and physically.

You have to add, Obviously, Micheal Jordan.

Personally, I would add Zinaden Zidane, although I am a fierce Real Madrid critic, he was so great for so long, well past many players retirement he was playing top fligth football both on the club level and internationally, and he went out with a bang...albeit more like an explosion than a firework.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 29 Aug 2007, 17:54

Wow, somebody else who understands the strain of F1 and how tough it is. I didn't even like Schumacher (I loved Senna, so you can understand), but I have serious respect for what he did, he completely changed the sport (although Senna was the first to take training seriously) in taking it to another level, Schumacher that is.

Zidane is up there on my list as well.

-Alexander Ovechkin

Clumsylegs
Veteran Member

Post by Clumsylegs » 29 Aug 2007, 18:15

Oh I forgot Schumacher! I really like F1's, especially because finns have done there quite well (Häkkinen and Räikkönen).

Michael Johnson was quite amazing. One of the best runs ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj9RnxtKrPc

EPL_Fan
New User

Post by EPL_Fan » 29 Aug 2007, 18:23

Schumacher said that Hakkinen was the driver he respected most as an opponent in Formula 1.

Another piece of trivia that is completely off topic: Micheal Shcumacher is the highest paid athlete in the world based on his team pay, around $40 Million. Tiger takes it when endorsements are included of course.

Speaking of Tiger...