Ankle Sprain - Ligament Tear

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
LordShamino
New User

Hi everyone,

First Time posting here, and I was hoping whether the soccer community was able to help with their experience and knowledge.

I pretty much suffered a ligament tear since 11th Feburary. How it happen? I was running full pace back for defensive duties, however one of the arrogant midfielders passed the ball just below the tip of my toes, I heard a clicking noise before I fell. The pain was pretty immense, and did not return back to the field. At the time I did not know how serious this injury was, until the next day, when it swelled up to a small balloon.

Naturally I went to hospital where I had an x-ray done, turns out no bones were broken, but I injuried it to the extent the ligament had torn. Since then, I had regular phyiso every week. My Physio uses an ultrasound, and I read up on the net how on to heal my ankle.

I would usually ice my foot, to reduce the swelling, and after a week, my physio would suggest I use heat packs to increase the blood circulation in my left ankle. As ankle sprains and ligament goes, my physio suspected that my injury was classified between 1 and 2 seriousness. (3 being the worst where you require surgery) My Physio would often suggest I balanced on one foot and close my eyes, while facing the ceiling to give it strength.

5 weeks after Feburary had passed, I went back on to the field, and even tho I still managed to score a hat trick :D my left foot swelled up the next day and I was limping again. I did not return to the field until another 3 weeks later when my soccer club commenced. Although I gotten approval from my physio, it had swelled back up, and I decided that I would not return to the field until I was 100% confident in returning to the field.

I now go to two physios, to get regular treatment. I'm pretty dedicated to getting back on track.
I exercise on the wobble board for 3 mins
Ride the gym bike for 10 mins
Swim 3 times a week for 30 mins
Stand on one foot, close my eyes, and try to hold it for 1 min
Use the rubber wrap to strengthen my ankle

Now its been 4 months down the track, I know my ankle is still not better
I only ice my foot if i ever get swelling, but reuse heat packs once the swelling is gone. I suspect my ankle sprain is classified as level 2, I'm always worried my ankle will swell back up if I do anything too intense. I know time is the key to good recovery. But I do wonder whether it will ever heal? This was my first ankle injury, I've been sitting on the side lines watching my friends play.

As for my two physios, I do have conflicting views.

One suggests I should get back and play. He reckons if I'm out of action for too long, the str of my ankle may still take longer than I may need. Therefore I should strap it back up and start jogging.

My other Physio suggests that I should still continue to give it time. She believes that you shouldn't return, unless your 90-95% better.

I feel that if I follow my second physio, I may take 2 months, 4 months or maybe till the end of this year. But I know she is only looking after my best interest, even if it is conservative.

I'm at a loss, but I will more than likely follow my second physio's advice. If anyone has some good advice on ankle recoveries, please share it. I know this post is quite a long one, but I reckon the more infor someone knows, the better they can assess the problem and come up with a solution. My thanks to everyone in advance.

EnSoUl
Veteran Member

sorry mate don't know much about this kind of thing, but hey welcome to the forums, aniwaiz I really posted in this topic caues I thought I knew you, is your name luke chapman
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime - Chinese Proverb

belija91
Veteran Member

Well I have been on and off an ankle injury for almost 2 months and it still feels different to my strong ankle. I might have weak tendons or ligaments or something. But I have never torn an ankle ligament although my friend has and has been out for 3-4 months (jumped off swing and landed awkwardly on ankle he said he heard a pop). He wasn't able to walk for the first 2 weeks that's how bad it was. All he did was rest it for 3-4 months and he came back to play and is doing just fine. He still feels it slightly but I'm sure that can be reversed. My advice is to just rest it, don't go running on an injured ankle that's the reason I had ankle problems for those months because I played anyway. Hope that helps.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

LordShamino
New User

Thanks for the help guys

EnSoUl, I not this luke chapman you speak of.

Well I pretty much had an ultra sound done, trying to see if I can make a claim on my soccer club's insurance

My results came out with

there is an old partial tear of the anterior talofibular ligament present

there is thickening of the peroneus brevius tendon present with the suspicion of a linear instrasubstance tear

Initially my doctor thought I should just strap up and play, but after these results, he now recommends 3 months of phyiso to build the strength of my ankle

Anyone know much about the above statement?

belija91
Veteran Member

I know more about knees that ankle's but ligaments are ligaments. It just means that one of your ligaments are partially torn and will take some time to rehabilitate. If it was completely torn it would be much more serious. I believe the peroneus brevius tendon runs from your lower leg to the outside of your foot or ankle. Your physio should give you exercises to strengthen it. But anyway there is really not much more you need to know. Just stay positive and do your best to recover.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

LordShamino
New User

Thanks heaps Belija91

I went to my physio on the weekend, and said that I keep up with the exercise and be patient for my ankle to recover itself

I guess I will be resting til Spring arrives, which is September in Australia

90 exact days to go and counting

LordShamino
New User

I was just wondering whether people here have tried using alternative medicine to encourage the healing process of injuries?

I am currently using the following

Glucosamine 1500 mg
Chondroitin sulfate 1200 mg

I might try adding MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) for any anti inflammation

Has anyone had some success with theses?

I think my ankle is alrite, but the sole of my left foot feels like it aches after i walk

XstaticX
Veteran Member

How is your ankle doing now Shamino? At start of August I had something very similar. I am still struggling with it, I will go to a doctor and see what it is.