Plyometrics

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
soccerjunkie

Should I do plyometrics the same night I do my leg workout? Or should I treat it as another workout and do it two days after a leg workout?

EnSoUl
Veteran Member

well it depends on your plyometric routin and your leg routine, but if you don't injure yourself I don't see why not :lol:

belija91
Veteran Member

There is no problem with doing this however don't go nuts and it is very important that you do the plyometrics first. The reason for this is, the more your muslces fatigue the less support they provide for you joints and ligaments. Therefore don't go and do 200 pound squats and kill your legs then immediately go and start jumping around you can hurt yourself. Do the plyometrics first then move on to strength training.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

ballackfan
Veteran Member

That's interesting, I can't do plyometric first because I have weight training during the day, so I do plyometric in the evening instead. I guess it has not harm unless it's in short interval of time.
Should I do plyometrics the same night I do my leg workout? Or should I treat it as another workout and do it two days after a leg workout?
The thing about plyometric is that; you need to be able to squat 1.5 times your weight before you can engage in plyometric. Weight training combination with plyometric works best, because weight training helped to reduce injuries.[/quote]

belija91
Veteran Member

Yeh that's true ballackfan well said. I was just trying to tell him not to go jumping around right after a strength workout his muscles will be fatigued lol. The stronger the muscles around the joints the better support you have for the joints/ligaments and essentially better potential to gain plyometric ability.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

ballackfan
Veteran Member

hey belija91 what sort of plyos are you doing? I always wondering, because nobody does this kind of exercise unless they are in track and field. Well, most unknowledgable athletes to be specific, this work-out combination with weight training, plus addition hill training can greatly improve acceleration and power, if done properly.

I started with one foot hops of ten and dropped jump of ten with three minute rest per set. And the other jumping exercise are jumping over cones one foot, both feet, lateral jumps, ect. Do you happen to know if jumping with a change in direction is plyometric, or does it have to be only in a straight line? I'm curious, I searched many websites but, there are too many various or made up ones it's confusing, so I chose those with sprinting and power specific.

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Unless you are doing low-intensity strength training, you should not do both on the same day.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

I read in a book from a national coach that doing plyometrics the same day as weights is bad. Good way to get injured. If you are going to do it... he said it is definitely fine if you do the plyos first and then lift, but if you do it the other way you are gonna screw something up.