Feeling sick before games?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
AmandaJ
New User

Sorry, I couldn't find a suiting board for this, so I am posting it here, and hoping it fits well enough

I find myself getting really nauseous before soccer matches (usually an hour or so before, until kickoff). Its nerves, but I don't really understand why, since when I am nervous about other things, I never feel sick, yet before soccer games I do.
Is there anything I can do about it? I tell myself that its silly, but it doesn't stop me from feeling sick before games. Once or twice I have even thrown up before the game, before some of the more important matches. I am a starter on my team, and its a real problem, since I can hardly concentrate on warming up before the game because I am feeling sick. I also know that it affects my playing in some ways at least, since there was one game where I didn't feel nauseous for (because I had SATs all day and had to rush over to the game, and basically didn't have time to get worked up about the game) and my coach told me he had never seen me play that well ever. Even with feeling nauseous, I play well enough to maintain my starting position, but I would really like to get rid of the feeling if at all possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anybody else ever experienced this before? I have tried all kinds of things, such as eating more, eating less, drinking more, drinking less, before games, and none of them seem to help.
It all seems to by psychological, and yet I can't seem to convince myself to stop being nervous before games.
I know this question is probably impossible to answer, but if anybody has any feedback, it would be appreciated.

Amanda

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Wow! First of all, welcome to the forums. You're one of the fewer girls here, but don't worry, we have some great female members (aka. Soccer4Life).

Check out this guide, it sounds like it could definitely help you with your nerves:

viewtopic.php?t=8145

I think it's almost all covered in there...
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

AmandaJ
New User

Hey thanks, that helps, I think. Its a pretty fascinating article, great job in writing it.

And thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I noticed there weren't lots of girls on here. But I have 4 brothers, so I can take it :wink:

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Yeah,

some of the more active girls here are Soccer4Life (who is on and off now), and kflair. There are also some other members that I know are girls, but I just can't remember them right now.

Well, this forum is about as good as it gets, so hopefully you can learn a lot! I know I did!
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin