push ups and sit ups

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Zuhair

push ups and sit ups

Post by Zuhair » 10 May 2007, 09:59

i might sound stupid but i need to know...
my holidays are starting from tomorrow and i am going to start training from day after...
waht i wanted to know was......how many push ups shud i start off with?do u have to do pushups everyday?....n how many sit ups..
can anyone tell me proper techniques of doing pushups and situps( a vid wud be appreciated).
n i wanted to know where to place my hands when im working on my wings while push ups..i had heard that if u keep ur hands farther apart u work on ur triceps n if theyr closer then ur wings...any clarification on that wud be nice...
u dunt chus ur destiny u chus the apth leadin to it

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 10 May 2007, 10:36

how many push ups shud i start off with?

We cannot tell you how many push ups to do that is up to you and how much you can cope with. I'd say though try doing 3 sets of 20 repetitions. If this is too easy you can always do more the next time.

do u have to do pushups everyday?

There is no reason to do push-ups and sit-ups every day but if you wanted to something like 2 or 3 days of them and then 1 day off of them would probably work alright.

....n how many sit ups..

Just start off with 3 sets of 20 repetitions and just like push-ups if that is too easy add more repetitions

can anyone tell me proper techniques of doing pushups and situps( a vid wud be appreciated).

Google or Youtube it, I gaurentee you can find a video for proper form.

i had heard that if u keep ur hands farther apart u work on ur triceps n if theyr closer then ur wings...any clarification on that wud be nice...

I don't know what you mean by "wings" but I will assume you mean chest as that is one of the dominate muscles used in a push up. The farther out you have your arms the more it works your chest and the closer in they are it works your triceps. So what you heard was backwards. Your hands can really be where ever you want them but you should start out with them just a little wider than shoulder width.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

belija91
Veteran Member

Post by belija91 » 10 May 2007, 13:05

I started doing situps and pushups when I was about 13, being completely ignorant of "proper" strength training. I would do 1 set of as many situps and pushups I could do in one go and I would do it like every second day sometimes even everyday. This has benefited me tremendously I am now 16 and I have the body of a 25 year old. It has given me so much strength and speed. It didn't really stunt my growth either I'm about 181cm now and back then I must have been 174cm I think. Anyway I recommend you do sit-ups, push-ups, chin-ups, pull-ups, leg raises, squats, calf raises, lunges and any more you can think of. These are all good for improving your strength and speed and they only use your own body resistance, plus you don't really need any gym equipment for them.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

Chrus

re

Post by Chrus » 10 May 2007, 15:50

me i started doing 20 ppush up a day and 50 sit up nonestop
after a month my muscle started showing up
OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo00000000000oooOOOOOOOOOO000000OO
Anxels

Matt17

Post by Matt17 » 16 May 2007, 23:14

At first, start off at about 5 repetitions of 30, I'd say. For both pushups and sit ups. Go hard one day, doing it constantly (after doing the 150 of each, take an hour break or so, then continue) and take a break the next day. Try to get to the point where you can easily do 100 of each, in a row. For situps, it's probably easier to do them, so you should aim higher for situps than 100.

Chrus

Post by Chrus » 20 May 2007, 14:23

but be careful u need 1 or two days of rest
OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo00000000000oooOOOOOOOOOO000000OO
Anxels

hebrewhammer110

Post by hebrewhammer110 » 20 May 2007, 18:18

you want to make sure that you do three sets, pushing it on every set. on the last set go until you break form, sagging or butt in the air.

Icy was right that hands farther apart works chest and back and close works triceps. you can do three sets of each.

doing pushups everyday is a big mistake. if you are really working than you should be very very sore the next day and doing them on consecutive days will breakdown muscle instead of building it. it is called overtraining.

situps should be done every other day as well, or when you are no longer sore from the last workout.

you can do these things called burpies that our coach has us do. you squat down until your hands touch the ground, shoot your legs out into a pushup position do a full pushup, pull the legs back in and shoot back up.
here is a good form burpee, you can do it with or without the jump
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxrFducMgYQ

make sure you are working out your legs and other upper body muscles as well so that you do not get a muscle imbalance which can lead to injury.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 20 May 2007, 19:25

if you already do lower body and upper body workout twice a week...will doing pushups and situps and chinups/pullups 5 days a week(2+3) be overtraining?

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 20 May 2007, 20:05

People here overuse the word "overtaining" way to much. Doing something for a week straight and feeling tired isn't "overtraining" thats fatigue. You can't overtain in a matter of a weke it is built up over time. People often say that you're overtraining if you feel tired which is incorrect because rather that is fatigue.

If you feel tired and rest for a day or two to feel better that is NOT overtraining it is fatigue.

Herbrewhammer110 after a while the soreness with go away from working out. So soreness is not a good way to base a good workout.

Burpees are definately a great exercise.

Wanderer if your doing an upper body and lower body work out with weights 2 or 3 days of bodyweight things should suffice. You may want to start with 2 days of it and then eventually add 3 days. As I have told you before quality is better than quantity. If you are truely pushing yourself that should be enough.

Also Wanderer I will respond to your PM soon, I had a whole thing typed up but for some reason it messed up and now I have to retype the whole thing. :P
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

hebrewhammer110

Post by hebrewhammer110 » 20 May 2007, 22:44

I think you misunderstood what i meant. i wasn't thinking that he was only going to do pushups for one week. i figured that if he wanted some real results he would continue over a longer period of time where if he did do pushups everyday he would overtrain and breakdown muscle.

the soreness does go away, but that just means that your body is getting used to the workoutrs and you need to change it up, like doing dumbells instead of barbells for bench pressing. the body needs to be challenged in different ways for you to get results.

belija91
Veteran Member

Post by belija91 » 20 May 2007, 23:54

hebrewhammer110 wrote:i figured that if he wanted some real results he would continue over a longer period of time where if he did do pushups everyday he would overtrain and breakdown muscle.

the soreness does go away, but that just means that your body is getting used to the workoutrs and you need to change it up, like doing dumbells instead of barbells for bench pressing. the body needs to be challenged in different ways for you to get results.
That's not true. Some people "overtrain" quicker than others. Maybe it's just me but I did one set of as many as I could everyday or sometimes every second day and now my upper body sticks out like a bodybuilder. If the soreness goes away completely that means the body has repaired the damaged muscle tissue from your previous workout and the muscle mass has grown. Doing the same amount of weight months on end (example push-ups) allows you to do higher repetitions each time because the body finds that weight easier each time you do it as it keeps getting stronger and grows.. The body does not "need" to be challenged "in different ways to get results". Sure some exercises are better than others (eg. dumbell curl instead of chinups for the biceps) and will give you better results but that does not mean you will get a lesser result if you don't challenge it in different ways.

hebrewhammer110

Post by hebrewhammer110 » 22 May 2007, 02:37

Belija91:
If the soreness goes away completely that means the body has repaired the damaged muscle tissue from your previous workout and the muscle mass has grown.

that is true, but what i said was that if you are not sore the day of or the after your workout then your your body has adapted and is used to the exercise. that exercise is still benefitting you, but not as much as if you were to change it up.

for example i had a friend who started to come to the gym and work out with me. he stared doing reps of bench with seventy-five then the next week eighty, and thge next eighty-five, etc. he was doing really good and then got stuck at 95 lbs for about three weeks. i suggested we stop benching with a barbell for a week and instead do pushups and dumbell benching. next week we went back to bench and he got 105! the problem was that his body had gotten used to the exercise, and he had reached what is called a plateau. changing it up allowed him to break through and keep on gaining strength.

"Vary your program. Every exerciser should add variety to their exercises to keep the body surprised and continue seeing results. Try to change up your exercises (both cardio and strength) at least every 4-6 weeks, if not more often. This will help prevent plateaus and allow you to progress from easier to more advanced exercises as you become stronger."

from: http://sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness ... .asp?id=97

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 23 May 2007, 02:33

I forget the title of the workout strategy involving a variety of different exercises, but I know that in back when the Russians were dominating many olympic competitions they trained their athletes on numerous different exercises to workout the same set of muscles. It keeps your muscles from receiving the same effect all the time and it basically screws with your nervous sytem, bombarding it with new exercises all the time, forcing your body to adjust and improve.
Click it

belija91
Veteran Member

Post by belija91 » 23 May 2007, 05:44

hebrewhammer110 wrote:Belija91:
If the soreness goes away completely that means the body has repaired the damaged muscle tissue from your previous workout and the muscle mass has grown.

that is true, but what i said was that if you are not sore the day of or the after your workout then your your body has adapted and is used to the exercise. that exercise is still benefitting you, but not as much as if you were to change it up.

for example i had a friend who started to come to the gym and work out with me. he stared doing reps of bench with seventy-five then the next week eighty, and thge next eighty-five, etc. he was doing really good and then got stuck at 95 lbs for about three weeks. i suggested we stop benching with a barbell for a week and instead do pushups and dumbell benching. next week we went back to bench and he got 105! the problem was that his body had gotten used to the exercise, and he had reached what is called a plateau. changing it up allowed him to break through and keep on gaining strength.

"Vary your program. Every exerciser should add variety to their exercises to keep the body surprised and continue seeing results. Try to change up your exercises (both cardio and strength) at least every 4-6 weeks, if not more often. This will help prevent plateaus and allow you to progress from easier to more advanced exercises as you become stronger."

from: http://sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness ... .asp?id=97
Yeh I understand what you are trying to say. Anyway the point is pushups and situps are all you need to become very strong in football and that's what he was asking about. You don't have to change it up because you will still get very good results and it's not like you compete in powerlifting or something. It's not worth the money to go to the gym for football amatuers or youngsters, because most of the exercises done in the gym can be done or improvised (eg elevated pushups or weighted pushups instead of benchpress) at home and can give great results. I know what you meant by the plateaus because my body is very use to pushups and handles it quite easy so I don't think my mucle mass grows much if not at all. Adding more weight though to my pushup will give me better results, I don't necessarily have to start doing benchpress for example to get the proper results untill I can do pushups easily with someone sitting on my back for example lol. That's why we shouldn't worry much about that here its football were talking about. But you were right I see what you mean.

hebrewhammer110

Post by hebrewhammer110 » 24 May 2007, 03:38

yeah for sure iwas just rambling on about hard lifting and everything when all that you need for soccer is pushups and situps if you want a strong core and upper body.

I have a 4.0 and my gym gives out free free memberships to the smart kids!!!