Ankle Weights-Good or Bad?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Evan
Veteran Member

yeah my mom's supposed to get some for me today so I can do my sprints with them. What size or should i just not do that with weights??? they will be light and those will be the only time i use them.
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

f5combo
New User

General advice i read is ankle weight may cause injury to your knee if you move with them example running but are useful for stationary strengthening exercises....

From Exper Q n A

Ankle weights are fine for exercises when you are stationary, but they are dangerous if you try

to wear them while running. So any cardio exercises you do with ankle weights increases your risk

of injury. by Expert

SO i guess that includes walking with ankle weight too? Walking is a form of cardio too.

nzfootball

I heard they can cause arthritis??

SABii
New User

jogabonito wrote:On some ankle weights you can't run with them. I bought some heav 5lbs each leg weights and I ran on them, weren't heavy but the strap broke after awhile. So anyone know good ones to run with?
iv got a tip which is very helpfull, ok strap your ankle weights on and then put football socks on top, this holds theweights and the strap wont break.

deano7

using ankle weights is very strenuous on the knees i use to use them for school which was ok cause it isnt hard excercise but sprinting in them, dribling in them etc is a bad idea!
Never Criticise your own ability.

soccerguyo15
New User

Do not use ankle weights for anything that is cardio or rapid leg movements!

The added weight to your ankles/feet will damage the joints in your knees because they are not able to sustain that weight ratio and will start to stretch ligaments.

Leg lifts, calf raises, and other stationary exercises are ok as they are slower and not directly putting weight on the knees.

If you are trying to build speed and strength, you'd be better off buying a resistance parachute or something like that.

Rush
New User

This is how I look at it. To become fast here are a couple of things:

1) squats-Knee extension
2) Hamstring specific work-Hip extension (not leg curls)
3) plyometrics
4) power exercises
5) technique work
6) flexibility
7) core work

Bottom line you need to be strong. So lift weights. Use the tried and tested methods.

Taylor
www.elite-soccer-fitness.com

foodsample

I just bought a pair of 5 pound weights (10 lbs total). I bought them with the intention of using them while practicing my power shots at the local racketball court. From what I have read online so far, I think I will take out 3 of the 6 bags in each ankle weight to lower the weight. But I just wanted to know what you guys think about practicing your shots with ankle weights on? BTW I am in good shape, and have been doing Track/Xcountry/Hockey/Soccer since I was very young, and have not have any Hip or Knee problems yet.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

foodsample wrote:I just bought a pair of 5 pound weights (10 lbs total). I bought them with the intention of using them while practicing my power shots at the local racketball court. From what I have read online so far, I think I will take out 3 of the 6 bags in each ankle weight to lower the weight. But I just wanted to know what you guys think about practicing your shots with ankle weights on? BTW I am in good shape, and have been doing Track/Xcountry/Hockey/Soccer since I was very young, and have not have any Hip or Knee problems yet.
stupid and don't do it.......it will mess up your technique and put unneccasary stress on your legs.....
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

foodsample

Yea I kinda started to realize that, the more I read up on it it seems perfecting my technique is 90% of the mission, then power will come easy

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

foodsample wrote:Yea I kinda started to realize that, the more I read up on it it seems perfecting my technique is 90% of the mission, then power will come easy
Ya just perfect your technique and the power will come. Just strengthen your core, glutes, hamstings, calves, and quads.....and you will see a big gain in power....
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

SpikeVallentine
New User

Sooooo cool. I was thinking of buying20 lb ankle weights. but I read this forum...and......it can stretch your ligaments? That does not sound good?

But..."it can increase risk of injury" that doesn't bother me, just becareful.
But, stretch your ligaments REGARDLESS? Really? Cause...that makes me not want to get them!

Hmmm.

I'm specifically thinking of using ankle weights with skateboarding. Lots of rapid leg movements, jumping and landing. I've only used 1 lb per ankle. I want to upgrade to 5 or 10 per ankle! But now I really don't know what to do. I can usually skate for hours. It's so fun.

if it stretches your ligaments regardless...then.....I guess I won't use them.
Hmmm....what if I just skate in them for like 10 minutes? then take them off? And I won't use them on anything crazy high. Just probably flat ground stuff/boxes.

Someone please respond!

nick117
Veteran Member

this isn't a skateboarding form i don't know why you would even use the weights on a skateboard that sounds stupid.

SpikeVallentine
New User

Dear nick117,

" this isn't a skateboarding form"
Ankle weights were being discussed, that's enough for me.

" i don't know why you would even use the weights on a skateboard that sounds stupid."

I agree, "weights on a skateboard" sounds stupid. I didn't say weights on a skateboard, but on my ankles while skateboarding.

Have you skateboarded before?

Why does everyone else use ankle weights? To improve their abilities. I was hoping to get higher on the skateboard, but after reading many comments I probably won't. Don't wanna stretch any ligaments.

klc123
Veteran Member

Depends what you want.

Contrary to popular belief, ankle supports will not make you significantly faster. Nor will they make your feet faster.

They will make your endurance better, and they will make your ability to repeat foot movements to a high quality for longer periods of time better, but they will not improve on your speed.

If you do physics you'll understand this plain and simply.

Training your muscles with high repetition/duration with low weight, increases slow twitch muscle fibres, which can go forever but do not exert a lot of power. Their rate of work is much higher than any other muscle, but it does that work over a long period of time, since the rate of work, or power, is a lot less. These are your long distance endurance muscles.

Training you're muscles with low repetition/duration with high weight, increases fast twitch muscle fibre growth, which basically only run for short amounts of time but are very powerful. They cannot do a lot of work before getting fatigued and needing to rest, but the work they do is over an extremely small time period, which means the rate of work, or power, is much higher. These are your sprinting muscles.

So ankle weights therefore are good at improving your muscle endurance, but will not do anything, or in some cases will actually negatively impact your sprinting muscles. I hope you find this useful.