Ankle Weights-Good or Bad?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
acmilan94

So today, I met one of my friends who plays soccer, and I noticed that he had ankle weights on. They were the Nike 5 lb ones. (2.3 kg) He said it was to make his legs stronger for goal kicks and diving(he's a goalie). So I got interested, and since my birthday's pretty close, I thought I could get one of those, and I googled some sites.
Some sites said they were good, some said they were bad (puts stress on ligaments or something), and some said if they were light it would be good training.
So my question is-Should I get these ankle weights?

*I'm 12, almost 13 years old. I'm thinking of getting the Nike 2.5 pound weights. (1.1 kg)
--
"There's someone out there practicing right now, and if you face him, he will win."

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Yea mate... most people on here ave agreed that they are bad for you and will ruin your ligaments if you walk everywhere with them. But if you are just doing sitting/standing exercises, they will help. Stuff like leg lifts, jumping jacks, any kind of legs exercises, jumping exercises, etc.

Taylor_102

I have heard that wearing ankle weights while working on stepovers and other moves can greatly increase your speed. Is this true or can this be harmful?

opm
Sophomore Member

personally i think ankle weights are very uncomfortable but they help increase your speed during sprints.
Life's a grave, dig it

bleedblue115

I use 1lb ankles weights. I know it sounds light, but you can really tell the difference when you take them off. I wear mine around the house, use them for leg lifts, and some ploymetrics (sp.) Anyway, I wouldn't recommend ones over 2lbs, and I wouldn't recommend sprinting with them.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

iwannagopro wrote:Yea mate... most people on here ave agreed that they are bad for you and will ruin your ligaments if you walk everywhere with them. But if you are just doing sitting/standing exercises, they will help. Stuff like leg lifts, jumping jacks, any kind of legs exercises, jumping exercises, etc.
I second that. Lots of people on this site have said that if overused, ankle weights are bad for you. As long as you aren't wearing them around the house and to school etc. they help.

bleedblue115

gnarlyjim wrote:
iwannagopro wrote:Yea mate... most people on here ave agreed that they are bad for you and will ruin your ligaments if you walk everywhere with them. But if you are just doing sitting/standing exercises, they will help. Stuff like leg lifts, jumping jacks, any kind of legs exercises, jumping exercises, etc.
I second that. Lots of people on this site have said that if overused, ankle weights are bad for you. As long as you aren't wearing them around the house and to school etc. they help.
I wear them around the house for about 1 hour every week or so. I've done this for a number of years and haven't had any problems

thrillboy
Veteran Member

So,from what I have heard ankle weights aren't good for your ligaments. Do you guys know who Rock lee from Naruto is? He wears weights that surround his calves. Are these okay?
Procrastination is like masterbation, it feels good at first, but in the end youre just f'ing yourself. :lol:

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

I'm against ankle weights, I think that they usually lead to injury, and it is hard to know the proper time to use them. Also there are certain movements that you can't do with ankle weights without damaging your feet. So I don't see the risk to benefit ratio there... because there is only a slight one.

acmilan94

Thanks for the answers guys. So are you saying that I should just avoid ankle weights and do some extra sprints instead?
--
"There's someone out there practicing right now, and if you face him, he will win."

thrillboy
Veteran Member

Can anyone answer my question about calf weights?
Procrastination is like masterbation, it feels good at first, but in the end youre just f'ing yourself. :lol:

Macimate
New User

OK I will clear this up.

Cristiano Ronaldo DID use ankle weights, and he probably still does.

I know this because of a portuguese documentary, and they interviewed a guy that lived in the same neighbourhood and he said : "He always walked around with ankle weights"

AND that didnt damage CR7's footspeed did it ;)

Icy
Veteran Member

It's doesn't hinder foot speed it just can lead to injury. Sure someone could wear them all the time and not get injuried but that doesn't mean they are "safe". They can cause damage because they fatigue your muscles and ligaments and such which when they are fatigued can lead to damage and your knee isn't a particular place you want that to happen.+

So yes it may help with foot speed but if you already have bad knees or anything that would make you think you might it'd be good to avoid using them.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

adnankhan
Veteran Member

i know 2of mine best frind wear them after 2 months they kick better than me and they r faster than they used to be they said they wear them 4 hrs a day and they jumped 50yds and jumped back with legs together..
...so i am borrowing their weights.

jogabonito
Sophomore Member

On some ankle weights you can't run with them. I bought some heav 5lbs each leg weights and I ran on them, weren't heavy but the strap broke after awhile. So anyone know good ones to run with?