Free weights vs. Machines

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Enjoythis469
Sophomore Member

I am just curious as to which weights benefit what aspect of your training...my club offers both, and i plan on using both...unless, however, there is a downside to one of the methods for soccer (acceleration/ spreed-endurance) performance. (building excess mass not wanted, a few pounds is fine, however) Thanks in advance

mufc21
Veteran Member

free weights are the best as you also build core strength by using them which you need for football. So i say use free weights but they are both good if you ask me. Try to do 15-20 reps because thats what really helps in football. Also try to do some pylometrics because that would really help.

sumsoccerkid

Free weights are goood. But i bought the bowflex about 12 months ago, and its amboultly wonderful. It helps wiht your stabalizing muscles as well because of the way the 'Power Rods' are designed.

I'd recommend it to anyone, but if you dont have the money or are going to the gym, id say do as many excersizes with the free weights as u can, and do everything else wiht the machines.

ballackfan
Veteran Member

I think that weight training are very beneficial in building muscle. In fact it's a myth that weight training make your muscle stiffed or make you slower. Exercise such as Squating developed stronger quadiceps muscle, which help you to explose much quicker and with more power. There are many beneficial to each exercise, so you have to choose what you want to work on.

Free weight are also beneficial, polymetrics training suppose to help you more flexible on your motion and more efficient moving in different direction and stride. An estimation that if you do Squating and polymetric for some time you could succeed of jumping 18 more inches on your verticle leap!(Source)

mufc21
Veteran Member

ye and pylometrics also make you faster

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Free weights usually work more muscles of your body since you have to balance, and maintain that weight. BUT free weights are also more dangerous and more advanced then machines. If you're just starting to lift, use machines first and then advance to the free weights.

~Dynamic_Dinamo~

Its good to do a mix of both.

For experienced weightlifters, machines are good for isolating a certain muscle and just working that one, while free weights work the main muscle but incorporate the surrounding ones slightly more.
It is important not to rely only on machines because they basically take out the balance and gravity aspects of the exercise because the machine will do it for you. Therefore your real world strength with balance, gravity, and motion factors will be less than it should be.