Breathing through the Nose

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
SAJ3
New User

Breathing through the Nose

Post by SAJ3 » 04 Jan 2007, 17:18

How are you supposed to breathe when you run usually, most of the time. Is it supposed to be through the nose because for some reason my nose doesn't breath to the max as in it gets blocked somewhat quickly.

So which one, better to breathe through the nose or where...

And what ways are there to be able to breathe through the nose better...

I dont know where this topic belongs... I hope it's ok here :D

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 04 Jan 2007, 18:21

i usually breate through my mouth but to get the oxygen to ur body it should be in through your nose out your mouth.
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

powell
English Meister

Post by powell » 04 Jan 2007, 18:54

yeh A-man is spot on there. When your running you should always breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. If im right i think it helps prevent you getting a stich. Whereas breathing in and out through your mouth isn't good because you breath in the oxygen and then breath out the carbon dioxide, but straight away your breath back in and bring in oxygen as well as the carbon dioxide that you just breathed out causing you to get stiches.

SAJ3
New User

Post by SAJ3 » 06 Jan 2007, 16:42

And by the way, whats a stich?

Francis

Post by Francis » 06 Jan 2007, 17:05

when you breath through your nose, the air is warmed, therefore the oxygen is used more effeciently. If you breathe through your mouth then the lining i=of your throat will dry up and caus irritation. So, breathe in through your nose and out of your mouth. BTW,A "side stitch" is a sharp, intense pain under the lower edge of the ribcage caused by a muscle spasm of the diaphragm. pain can occur during exercise, running, and occurs more commonly in begginners who have not yet understood proper pacing and breathe more quickly and shallow. when we inhale, we take air into the lungs, pressing the diaphragm downward. When we exhale, the diaphragm moves up. If the body has some trapped air/gas below the diaphragm, if we've eaten too close to exercise, or if we start exercising too vigorously, the diaphragm may cramp, causing pain under the rib cage on the right side.

SAJ3
New User

Post by SAJ3 » 08 Jan 2007, 04:48

Hmmm, that happens often and it depends what you mean by beginner, heh I've been running for years and that happens to me lots.

As well, is there a way to keep "the stuff = mucus" out of your nose like when after you clean your nose sometimes it still feels full but it wont blow no more. That causes a problem in breathing sometimes so what can I do? Or whatever to prevent that or... what?

QuicK Silv3r

Post by QuicK Silv3r » 09 Feb 2007, 06:10

I try and control my breathing. If the balls goes out or something i'll breath in through my nose and out through my mouth :wink: