Quick feet improvement

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
P12
Sophomore Member

ok....i know that lot's of posts about this have been made...but everybody say TRAIN....but...train what???
Quick feet isn't running fast....well i don't know how to explain...is like dribbling fast like C. Ronaldo...doe sanyone know how to improve that????

thanks
"Game after game after game, I realize now what's most important im ,y life: FOOTBALL!"

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I posted this a while ago in a similar thread, but I guess I can post it again:

This is something i've been doing lately to get my feet quicker and develop my left foot better for dribbling.

You need two balls and a decently steep hill, preferably one that rises for over 200 yards.

Try to dribble two balls up the hill while keeping them as close to your body as possible. First use both feet, but once you are good at this then dribble both balls with only your right foot, and then only your left foot.

I've been doing this every day for a couple weeks and I have noticed that my feet are much quicker and I keep the ball closer to my body when dribbling at full speed. I suggest everyone tries doing this.

Another thing to do, is use a cone (preferably) or a ball, and simply do scissor steopovers around it repeatedly for as long as you can. Whenever your foot strikes the ball or cone, do ten pushups. The first time you do it, time yourself to see how long you can go before getting very tired, and try to reach this time every day for a week. Then increase your time by 30 seconds and aim for that time for a week, and repeat for following weeks.

AZboy

ajc wrote:I posted this a while ago in a similar thread, but I guess I can post it again:

This is something i've been doing lately to get my feet quicker and develop my left foot better for dribbling.

You need two balls and a decently steep hill, preferably one that rises for over 200 yards.

Try to dribble two balls up the hill while keeping them as close to your body as possible. First use both feet, but once you are good at this then dribble both balls with only your right foot, and then only your left foot.

I've been doing this every day for a couple weeks and I have noticed that my feet are much quicker and I keep the ball closer to my body when dribbling at full speed. I suggest everyone tries doing this.

Another thing to do, is use a cone (preferably) or a ball, and simply do scissor steopovers around it repeatedly for as long as you can. Whenever your foot strikes the ball or cone, do ten pushups. The first time you do it, time yourself to see how long you can go before getting very tired, and try to reach this time every day for a week. Then increase your time by 30 seconds and aim for that time for a week, and repeat for following weeks.
you said ronaldo did the second part of this?? wheres the source for it?? where did you hear it from?? and which ronaldo

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Yes, I have heard that Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) did this when he was a child to increase his stepover speed. I read it in an article before the world cup that was talking about his career and there was a short interview where they asked what were some of the things he used to practice, and this was one of the things he said. I think it was Uefa.com but I don't exactly remember - it was months ago.

P12
Sophomore Member

Ok ajc!! thankss!!!! but the first one looks like a little hard to me....isn't it??
I don't know how it will help me....but i'll try!!!!

Peoplee!!! i Want more drills!!!!!!! help mee!!!
"Game after game after game, I realize now what's most important im ,y life: FOOTBALL!"

ajc
The Philly Flyer

P12 wrote:Ok ajc!! thankss!!!! but the first one looks like a little hard to me....isn't it??
It might be hard at first, but after some practice I think you could do it. :wink:

hustler89
Veteran Member

ajc wrote:Another thing to do, is use a cone (preferably) or a ball, and simply do scissor steopovers around it repeatedly for as long as you can. Whenever your foot strikes the ball or cone, do ten pushups. The first time you do it, time yourself to see how long you can go before getting very tired, and try to reach this time every day for a week. Then increase your time by 30 seconds and aim for that time for a week, and repeat for following weeks.
I've been doing this for around a week, from a post made by iwannagopro on mufc's progress log and I have noticed a significant difference.
My stepovers are faster and I make less mistaked when performing them. It really is an excellent exercise.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

hustler89 wrote:
ajc wrote:Another thing to do, is use a cone (preferably) or a ball, and simply do scissor steopovers around it repeatedly for as long as you can. Whenever your foot strikes the ball or cone, do ten pushups. The first time you do it, time yourself to see how long you can go before getting very tired, and try to reach this time every day for a week. Then increase your time by 30 seconds and aim for that time for a week, and repeat for following weeks.
I've been doing this for around a week, from a post made by iwannagopro on mufc's progress log and I have noticed a significant difference.
My stepovers are faster and I make less mistaked when performing them. It really is an excellent exercise.
I know, I figured it out too from AJC and I posted it there, and I have told people about it because it is such a great drill. Hope you don't mind AJC... it is a great drill.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Nah, I don't mind at all. The thing that matters is that people can use it to get better. :wink:

opm
Sophomore Member

other meothds for obtaining quick feet include skipping , juggling a ball as low to the ground as possable. If u like the cone stuff setup 5 cones 5 2-3 yards apart and weave thru the cones with tiny shuffles steps . the ides is to shuffle ur feet as fast as possible without lifting yout feet off the ground
Life's a grave, dig it

klc123
Veteran Member

the first one sounds more like a control and close controlled dribbling drill to me, and helps with dribbling wth both feet, personally for close quick dribbling i go running on the beach and i dont let the ball touch any seaweed or stones, amasing this seems to work quite well and its great for my overall fitness training seeing as the beach is 15 miles long lol.

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

i find that the more simple drills are the ones that help improve skills the most, unless you're already great at the skill and want to get even better.

so i would just suggest a regular cone drill, set up some cones in the zig-zag formation,not far from each other, and go between them as fast as you can, each time you go, remember to switch sides and switch feet, and go a little faster each time. this will help you alot with ball control too.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

Rocky
Veteran Member

If you are not quick feet without the ball, then you are not quick feet with the ball... It's logic that you can improve tight control like C.Ronaldo by running with the ball, but to imrpove over all quickness;

Run hills down and up.

Set your own routine for how much you feel to train and how many sets you wanna do.

Example

Run up a hill down and up 3 times, 4 sets... Have a break after each 3rd time.

Just an example. Because how many sets you do depends on yourself. I would reccomend to not take a too long break or else your muscles will build/work slower and you will not improve faster. It's up to you, you can make it into a condition training at the same time...

I can assure you that being quick feet isn't just about muscles so I would also suggest the ladder drill which is almost like a stretch out/warm up but helps you get quicker feet;

LINKS; http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/la ... rills.html
http://www.sportplan.net/drills/Athleti ... F88D56271F

If you don't have a ladder then just draw one with bricks or something... as long as you move your feet in a co-ordination it will help... Doesn't have to be hard training.

I also would add the drill where you take a cone and do stepovers for 20 min around it.. Use anything if you don't have a cone as long as what you use is sized with a cone or a 4 size+ ball.

These drills don't just help for quick feet but also, acceleration and full speed.

If you wonder something, ask here, or just google it... Remember google is your friend.. Be creative with your search and you will find something useful :D

There are allot of other exercises you can do with the ladder drill, I didn't post all of them... Might post it later, or like I said, you can google it:P

Good luck on improving!
Last edited by Rocky on 10 Dec 2007, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Thanks ajc for the exercice I try it this week.How much do you have to do it a day or just 1 time 30 seconds?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I'd suggest doing it until you get tired enough that you aren't doing it properly any more. I usually do it 4-5 times total with breaks in between.