Getting back in soccer

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Thom9000
New User

Getting back in soccer

Post by Thom9000 » 21 Apr 2005, 23:45

Hi guys, i used to play futebol everyday when i lived in brazil, i stopped for 4 years (been living in US for 4 years) and im trying to get back into it. Iam really outa shape and i was wondering if u guys could share a progressive week routine that could help me get back in track( monday - sunday). Keep in mind im really out of shape as of now, i dont want to start out running 1 mile a day since ill prolly have a heart attack :P . Thanks

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 22 Apr 2005, 18:02

I've spent the last four months trying to figure out how to do this after a ten year layoff. After several painful weeks I found that I needed stability and coordination a lot more than aerobic endurance. Footwork drills such as JM Kings 20 minute mini practice helped a lot to get my legs and body used to moving quickly in all directions again. It also is a pretty good cardio workout. I have yet to finish in 20 minutes, often because I get too winded, but mostly to force myself to repeat a skill if too sloppy. The muscles and coordination used for kicking also need to relearn things, so working against a wall is very important. Small 4v4 games are a great workout as well with lots short sprints to move to space, lots of touches on the ball, and nearly constant involvement.

I have a hard time seeing the point of distance running. You need to condition your body for hard sprints, starts, stops, jumps and the ability to keep doing those things for 90 minutes. If you just gotta run, do intervals of sprints and jogs or walks, sometimes with a ball.

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 22 Apr 2005, 18:05