Not eating all day on game day

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Mr.SoccerMojo
Veteran Member

Not eating all day on game day

Post by Mr.SoccerMojo » 14 Nov 2006, 19:28

I have noticed that if I do not eat anything and I mean anything on the day that I play I am a much much better player I am faster and can think quicker on my feet then if I do eat.

And I was just wondering if anyone could help explain this to me
Those who race towards death
Those who wait
&
Those who worry

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 14 Nov 2006, 21:23

I dont know why, but I have noticed other people say that. I have heard some athletic muslims say that when they get used to fasting and doing sports at the same time it makes them tougher and more endurant. I dont know if there is an explanation but I have heard about it. Anyone have an idea?

acmilan94

Post by acmilan94 » 15 Nov 2006, 01:47

does that really work? because when I don't eat before a game, I get too hungry and can't focus on the game.
--
"There's someone out there practicing right now, and if you face him, he will win."

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 15 Nov 2006, 03:41

*~El Maestro~* wrote:I dont know why, but I have noticed other people say that. I have heard some athletic muslims say that when they get used to fasting and doing sports at the same time it makes them tougher and more endurant. I dont know if there is an explanation but I have heard about it. Anyone have an idea?
Yeah its true, well atleast for me. But dont push yourself too much. I did that once on a really sunny day and almost collapsed :P

medved

Post by medved » 18 Nov 2006, 04:35

kinda off topic but are you muslim "el maestro"?.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 18 Nov 2006, 05:04

*~El Maestro~* wrote:I dont know why, but I have noticed other people say that. I have heard some athletic muslims say that when they get used to fasting and doing sports at the same time it makes them tougher and more endurant. I dont know if there is an explanation but I have heard about it. Anyone have an idea?
Really, I have never heard this. I know that Kolo Toure is a muslim, but he doesn't fast for Ramadan during game days due to the fact that "he needs the strength and that he imagines that Allah understands." You need to eat on gameday, but only at least three hours before the game. I know that every pro player that I am aware of eats before the game, preferably pasta or some sort of carb (that's what Henry eats anyway).

God damn brewery!!!

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 18 Nov 2006, 10:37

Yes I am a muslim. The people who I have heard say it aren't pro soccer players though. Just average people like you and me who like to do sports a lot. Its hard to fast and do sports at the same time but they told me that in the beginning its really hard, but when you get to the end of the month you start getting more endurant and tougher. When i fast and play football its just being thirsty that kills me on top of not having much endurance, but my P.E teacher understands that I am fasting and asks me to take it easy everyday at P.E. Yes I dont think that many muslim soccer players fast because that would be very difficult and their bodies would probably suffer alot after playing 2 games every week and spending all that energy. However some athletes do fast at the same time, maybe not on game day but during practices. I remember several players on the Senegalese soccer team saying that they were gonna try to fast even though their clubs/national team didnt want them to do it when they have a game. I dont imagine the coaches would let them do that. I remember that once the NBA player Hakeem Olajuwan(sp) was fasting and playing at the same time though.