Power drinks vs water

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
CASA15

I was just wondering which is better to drink water or those power drinks like Gatorade and Powerade?

j

well water will hydrate you, gatorade or powerade will do the same, the only difference is that the sports drinks have sugar in them, just read the indgrdients on the bottle. In my opinion high fructose corn syrup (a type of sugar) is not good for you at all. I suggest sticking to 100% fruit juice or just water.

madridfc
Veteran Member

WATER!!! what i've heard is that its better to drink them bofore or after you exercise to replace electrolytes and stuff like that.
also, never try something like that for the first time before a game, because you never know what how it will effect you. i knew a girl who drank a bottle of gatorade before a regional cross-country race and threw up afterwards. she didn't exactly have her best race. :D so i guess try it out at a practice or something, but not on gameday
olé

"I wouldn't say i was the best manager in the business, i was in the top one."

expert
Site Admin

johnny114life

water is better like in the game gatorade is better after the game when you lose electrylites

j

all i want to say is that gatorade is just sugar and water.......read the ingedients.. dont be fooled by the commercials...drink things without processed sugar in them

cHaVa
Veteran Member

Yeah i agree with J.

coop8

if you fill a gatorade bottle up with half water it is much better for you than drinking straight gatorade

cHaVa
Veteran Member

wow, what does that do coop8? i didnt know that one!

JasperJock
New User

Just recall, Gatorade is water, Energy ions (K+, Cl-, Na+) required in your system. But there is a lot of useless sugar

All that is necessary is the water and the ions. So drink something like Smart Water

Gatorade is truely made for working out, along with serious sports requiring endurance and a high level of strength like football, rugby etc.

ronaldinho91

water is the best drink for sports there's no question about it lucozade and gatorade are just fads they'r just sugar water, the only advice i'd say would be always take little sips if your drinking during training or you'll get really bloated and migtht throw up

struggler
New User

coop8 already touched on it, but for me personally drinking a mixture of half gatorade half water is really effective. I usually drink a 32oz gatorade mixed with half water an hour or two before a game. During the game i usually stick to water but the mixture is just as good if you prefer. I know the biggest problem for gatorade with me is that it leaves my mouth feeling sticky and dry because of the sugar. Mixing water reduces the intensity of the sweetness but also makes drinking large quantities of water more palatable.

Give it a try you might like it.

born2skate

personally i like to drink water better. when i drink gatorade i can't drink much and still play. if i drink more than a few sips it always makes my stomach feel wierd cause of the sugar. someon need to make a drink that has all the elecrolites and stuff in it but without the sugar.
always perservere!!!!!!!

born2skate

if you dont like the plain taste of water i somtimes make really watered down kool-aid.
always perservere!!!!!!!

medved

If you dont eat enough before a game it is smart to sip on a sports drink for extra energy and glycogen restorement.