Conditioning for girls

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

Conditioning for girls

Post by rules2bbroken » 16 Apr 2005, 04:06

hmm.. i read the fitness part of this area.. But can you guys add like for girls ? i mean conditioning for teenagers? or maybe a more advanced detailing on weight training etc.. stamina.. hOw do we go about it.. just jump in to the gym's threadmil.. and start weights? and where should we apply the weights.. What Kind of weights training are? there? sorry.. for asking many questions. hope You dont mind :?

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 21 Apr 2005, 04:06

That's a good question. There probably are some differences although I've never heard about anything drastically significant. When weightlifting, you can either work on increasing your strength or aerobic endurance.

Strength
By traditional standards, you should work with weights that you can safely lift a maximum of 10 consecutive times (10 RM = Repetition Maximum) in 3 to 5 sets. You should target a few muscle groups per each session (arms, legs, back, etc). Strength training is recommended once you reach puberty.

Aerobic endurance
This is all about working with light weights for extended periods of time. When doing aerobic training, you should try to incorporate as many muscle groups as possible.

If you've never done weight training before, you may want to start off with exercise machines as they are safer than free weights. Free weights have been shown to yield better results (in terms of performance).

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 22 Apr 2005, 00:02

Here are some hints on structuring weight training sessions:

48 to 72 hours recovery between sessions. Therefore 2-3 sessions a week for the same lifts or muscle groups. Recovery becomes very important if you get really strong, then you might go to alternating heavy and light (aka speed/don't get sore) workouts

Sets and reps should end up with about 30+ seconds "time under tension" with maximum force production. 3 sets of 10 is 30 reps and gives about 30 seconds of TUT. 4 sets of 8 and 5 sets of 5 also work well.

Weight should be 60-85% of your 1 rep max. This is where the muscles are moving with the most force (force= mass times acceleration). You can do 70% 1RM for about 10 reps and 85% 1RM for 5 reps.

Mental focus, perfect technique, and great acceleration are more important than doing a set to failure. Therefore 5 reps done explosively with weight you could lift for 10 reps can be more productive if you do 5 sets. That would be 25 great reps, where 3 sets of 10 reps would have maybe half great reps and half sloppy ones, due to fatigue. On speed/light days, 10 sets of 3 with 65% 1RM works great.

Strength is speed. In the world of sports, speed is king.

The number one secret to weight training success is consistency. Even a mediocre training plan done consistently is better than a great one that is never used.

coop8

Post by coop8 » 22 Apr 2005, 01:23

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 22 Apr 2005, 05:42

I just drilled down through the bodybuilder.com site for soccer specific strength training and found one article that was pretty good: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa49.htm
(Funny thing about ISSA - it was started by Fred Hatfield, aka Dr. Squat of www.drsquat.com). However, the bodybuilding workouts aren't so great unless one wants more bulk than strength. They aren't the same. A 250 pound bodybuilder repping out with 315 is pretty strong, but top 148 pound powerlifters bench over 400 pounds! Who do you think is stronger and quicker? Here is a 148 pound lifter I know who squats over 500 pounds: http://littlepowerhouse.com/ She does not train like a bodybuilder to get that strong (no drugs either).

Strength = speed
Bulk = less speed (extra mass that has to be moved around, not good)

Strength from larger muscles - sometimes good
Strength from improved neuromuscular efficiency - better
Speed and strength from sport specific training - best

rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

ooO.. Okay

Post by rules2bbroken » 19 May 2005, 02:41

Umm. Okay.. can i alSo AdD soMe QueStioNs too... Thank for your tips but i am kinda in e underwieght category and i m only standing 158cm.. [ i live in singapore dont realli know how to convert it=p to punds] Also.. :arrow: Could you rephrase ur comments to a basic MORE BASiC.. ? ahaha.. Sorrie yeah..

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 19 May 2005, 16:25

Start here: http://www.stumptuous.com/training_menu.html
Mix in some of this: http://expertfootball.com/training/stamina.php
Spice things up with some of these: http://expertfootball.com/training/running.php

The section on sports specific training at stumptuous.com is a good place to start. If you have lots of questions, Krista, the author of stumptuous.com, frequents the usenet forum misc.fitness.weights . It has been my experience that you can trust the advice from her and Keith Hobman on that forum.

You have about a week's worth of reading to do, then you can start asking away.