Diet question

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
dooglas
Veteran Member

Diet question

Post by dooglas » 13 Apr 2005, 04:23

i dont know if this would actually work, but lets say u eat like pasta or something filling, and drink one can of soda, then go out and work your butt off training, do u think it would make u faster at all when your not bogged down?
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

ManchesterUnitedrocks
New User

Post by ManchesterUnitedrocks » 28 Apr 2005, 20:28

Soda is a big no no the sugar cause caffine and sugar doesnt last long, but the pasta is good. even stuff like red bull isnst that good cause of the caffine and sugar. So the big thing is to stay away from too much sugar
'Sometimes in football you have to score goals.' - Thierry Henry

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 28 Apr 2005, 21:12

Pros: a spike in blood sugar for about 30 minutes and some nervous system activation from the caffeine.

Cons: Diversion of blood circulation to the digestive system would decrease aerobic capacity. An insulin spike would result in drastic drop in blood sugar after about 45 minutes and you would be mildly hypoglycemic by 60 minutes.

CNS activation can improve some strength/speed temporarily, but it is a double edged sword that can also cut you bad. Being amped up with caffeine, ephedra, or amphetamines can override protective mechanims for muscles, ligaments, and tendons. It is also hard to focus and maintain concentration. It is also difficult to maintain a state of improved performance in a predictable and useful way. These stimulants also become less effective over time although the side effects increase (fatigue, elevated heart rate, sleeplessness, nervousness, addiction).

Most of the energy for your muscles comes from metabolism of sugar stored in muscles and the liver as glycogen, not directly from your digestion system. It would be better to spend all day topping off your muscle and liver glycogen with several meals high in carbohydrates throughout the day.

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 28 Apr 2005, 21:16

Yes, sugar dehydrates your body. You may want to stay away from sweets prior to training. One more thing is that you shouldn't eat less than 3 hours before practice as it will probably make your stomach upset. B Heck is probably more qualified than me on this matter.

J
Admin

Post by J » 28 Apr 2005, 23:45

people should remember that processed carbs (pasta,White bread,candy) are different from natural carbs (Whole grains, vegetables, fruits) Your body will use up processed carbs much quicker than natural carbs. If you completely knock off all the processed carbs in your diet your body will run much more efficiently. 30 million years of evolution did not prepare the human body to eat processed carbs. If you are going to eat pasta and things like that, i would suggest you eat whole grain pasta or brown rice instead of white rice.

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 29 Apr 2005, 17:25

"B Heck is probably more qualified than me on this matter." Expert

LOL, not for the reasons you think. More because I've done worse things.
I have tried lots of different things to keep my energy levels up for workouts and games. I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic at age 8, so I have had to worry about blood sugar from an early age. My interest in this area eventually led to a PhD in biochemistry, although my specialty ended up having nothing to do with blood sugar. I've tried caffeinated sodas, energy drinks, and even straight caffeine and ephedra pills for training (I stopped doing that after my bicep tendon ruptured). My best results come from eating big breakfasts and lunches and then a high protein/low GI snack an hour before. Sometimes, I drink gatorade continuously during the activity, especially for outdoor things. If the gatorade runs out, I will crash 45 minutes later.

It might be more helpful to distinguish between simple and complex carbs and their glycemic index (GI), rather than processed and natural. What is really important is how quickly a carbohydrate food is converted into sugar. Nutritionists use a table called the glycemic index that is based on how quickly blood sugar rises after eating various foods. Low glycemic index food breaks down and converts into sugar slowly, which is a good thing. High glycemic index foods create a roller coaster of too much followed by too little (the insulin response). Here is a link to a pretty good glycemic index: http://www.glycemicindex.com/

There are some suprises. Carrots have a really high GI value, more than white bread. Straight fructose, a processed sugar, has a very low GI value.

Here is a good discussion about eating before practice or a game: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1438.html

J
Admin

Post by J » 30 Apr 2005, 15:51

most people's body are used to running off processed carbs because that is mostly what they eat, but the thing is that it is not very efficient for enrgy. If you cut out all the processed sugar and processed carbs in your diet, your body will run much more efficiently and you will have much more energy in the long run. For the first couple of weeks you are not eating processed carbs or processed sugar you will feel like you have no energy but about three weeks later your body will run very efficiently. 30 million years of evolution of the human body did not prepare it for what most people are eating now a days.

yuio

Post by yuio » 28 May 2007, 21:40

Hey i realize this post is almost a month old but i got a question about carbs which has been driving me crazy. I have read different things saying that white rice is bad for sports because its turned into sugar to fast due to the lack of fiber. My family eats A lot of white rice but we always have salad and different grilled vegetables(which contains lots of fiber), i also eat lots of fruits for snacks and such.

sjr_1490
New User

Post by sjr_1490 » 30 May 2007, 00:23

so whats your question??

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 30 May 2007, 00:27

He just wants to know if white rice is bad for him...
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 30 May 2007, 02:15

yuio wrote:Hey i realize this post is almost a month old
haha actually it's about 2 years old but i don't care about posting in dead topics if it's a good reason. just thought i'd point that time diffference out

J
Admin

Post by J » 31 May 2007, 20:33

yuio wrote: I have read different things saying that white rice is bad for sports because its turned into sugar to fast due to the lack of fiber.
You should suggest to your family to start eating brown rice instead. It's whole grain and not processed like white rice is. It also contains a good amount of fiber per serving.

Not to mention it also taste just as good as white rice IMO. I eat it almost every night and actually prefer it over white rice.