egg whites and egg yolks?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
LYM.randy

OK...I have heard that egg yolks are bade for you where as egg whites are rich in protein and good for protein intake...

I'm pretty sure this is accurate but I am wondering what is so bad about egg yolks? They are like the best part of the egg lol

J
Admin

I have heard that egg yolks have a ton of cholesterol. It is true that Egg whites do have a ton of protien though. Whenever I eat eggs, I always take out the yolk.

I actually think the egg yolk is nasty anyway.

LYM.randy

is that all the yolk contains? does it have any positive nutritional value?

also... how bad is cholesterol? Isn't it like a long term blood pressure and stroke type of problem? Or does it also have immediate performance effects?

thanks J

J
Admin

I believe there is two different types of cholesterol (not sure of the exact terms for them). From what I have heard, the "bad" cholesterol builds up in your arteries and clogs them up over time, which could eventually lead to heart disease and stroke. I'm not sure if it has any short term effects.

I found an interesting article on eggs whites and yolks:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

LYM.randy

wow...thats really helpful.

But I guess for protein vs. fat the yolk has got to go :(

I mean the guy says that the yolk has all these important nutrients, but at the cost of a whole lot of fat! plus I take a multi vitamin every morning so I get all I need in terms of the minerals and stuff.

on a side note...
eggs contain tryptophan, which can have narcotic effects lol. Thanksgiving turkeys have a high concentration which some think is why thanksgiving football while your trashed on the couch is such a popular after dinner past time.

BenAMsoccer

Eggs are whole foods, the protien needs the fat to be digested properly. The only study against egg yolks was that of a cereal company. The company left the yolks out for weeks, then once oxidized fed them to animals .

LYM.randy

could you elaborate that point?

why does the body need the fat to properly digest the protein?

BenAMsoccer

If you separate the white and yolk of the egg, you get an isolated protein. Any time you separate protein from fat you're left with an incomplete food.When you swallow an egg white, it goes into your stomach and your stomach says, "Hey, where's the fat?" The white, which is protein, has no vehicle for conversion, so it's converted to sugar. Eggs are the finest protein, along with liver and raw milk. That's been proven over and over. They have the highest PER (protein efficiency ratio) rating. Unless of course you seperate the white and yolk.

~Dynamic_Dinamo~

I agree with Ben and also considering most of you are relatively young and quite active I would'nt worry too much about eating an egg every few days WITH the yolk intact.

toni_9
New User

I think you shouldn't rele care about it that much i mean if you play soccer you will burn most of the bad stuff out :D

XstaticX
Veteran Member

Yeah, trust me, I eat mabye 3 eggs scrambled with the yolk every other day. If you are weight training or exercising, your body absorbs it all quickly like osmosis, don't worry about the yolk till you're maybe 30 years old.