How to strengthen back

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
~Dynamic_Dinamo~

How to strengthen back

Post by ~Dynamic_Dinamo~ » 03 Aug 2006, 03:11

Just wondering if anyone knows any exercises to strengthen back musles that can be done at home or at a fitness center. Recently I've had chronic pain to the point where sneezing hurts my back. I'm pretty tall 6'2 (190cm?) and that may be the cause. I hope to recover before a tournament in September. Any help is much appreciated.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » 03 Aug 2006, 03:16

Strengthening you abs strengthens your back as well. So you can do sit ups and stuff like that. Theres also this one work out on a machine, not to sure what the machine is called, but it's kinda like you do a backwards sit up.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 03 Aug 2006, 03:29

A couple of exercises that might help are dead lifts, hyperextensions, and "supermans." In dead lifts, grab a barbell laying on the ground right in front of your hips, and explode from a semi-crouched position into a standing position. Hyperextensions are done with or without weight, in which you get on this seat like thing face down in which only your lower half of your body is on the surface and you lift yourself up with your back (picture of the seat below) Supermans are an exercise in which you are laying on the ground and you lift your entire body except your pelvic region off of the ground, like you're flying like superman. Hold this for as long as you can.
For lats (upper back) do pull ups on your own or with a machine, or you can do seated rows.

God damn brewery!!!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » 03 Aug 2006, 03:30

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injuries ... hening.htm

This site has more things you can do at home. I hope it helps.

ziem
Sophomore Member

Post by ziem » 03 Aug 2006, 04:34

hey if u know how to swim butterfly then u can do it over an endurance testing distance (400-800m) i can swim butterfly and it really helps strengthen the back. At first i did just 400m and during the last 50 my back really started to ache...but just try to push through the pain and then eventually u can go further

J
Admin

Post by J » 03 Aug 2006, 04:47

mpcarres14 wrote: Hyperextensions are done with or without weight, in which you get on this seat like thing face down in which only your lower half of your body is on the surface and you lift yourself up with your back (picture of the seat below) Supermans are an exercise in which you are laying on the ground and you lift your entire body except your pelvic region off of the ground, like you're flying like superman. Hold this for as long as you can.
This is a great suggestion. If you don't have the 'bench' to do this with as shown in the image, you can perform this same exercise with bleachers at a local field or park in the same way.

~Dynamic_Dinamo~

Post by ~Dynamic_Dinamo~ » 03 Aug 2006, 19:00

:D Thanks guys. I'll surely start doing some of those