Want to run more miles?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
af2266

Well since I seem to see so many of these topics, I just decided to put one together, a simple way to get those milages up.

First off, I'd just like to say this is something that takes time, and your not going to do it in one week, unless you have some serious discipline.

Okay, so you've probably heard this millions of times before... push yourself.
Just keep this thought in mind as you read on.

Lets say, the most miles you can run is... oh 2 miles. Just run your two miles a few times a week. Keep it a nice pace, don't make it hurt to bad.
Now one day were out here, and it's getting very boring running these 2 boring old miles. What you need to do is run your first mile at a fast, consistent pace, and your second one at the pace you would normally do.

Stick to running the first mile fast for mabye a week. Now that you can do this without breaking a sweat, go that extra mile. All at a normal pace.

Now, Repeat all of this, but with 3 miles, pushing yourself to a quicker pace half of it, then going the extra mile. If you do this right, over time 6 miles will be a breeze. Take it from me, so far every morning over my summer vacation I've ran 9 miles. I'm still trying to add onto this.

Okay before people go running off, I just want to restate push yourself. You might feel a small stomache pain, but if you really want it, push through it. But know your limits. If your going to pass out, please stop running. If you feel like throwing up, mabye your doing to much.

And always remember, to drink plenty, plenty of water. Since were athletes here, and were going to be doing this soccer training, drink to what you know is good for you. My coach tells me to drink a gallon of water a day.

Remember to run in shoes with a good arch support, have em comfy, and try to be blister free.

If it helps, run with music, running on a track can be extremely boring, watching that cement all the time.

Rest plenty, drink water push yourself.
some guy yelled at me...

thierryhenry14

good post i think this'll help many people
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

Sometimes in football you just have to score goals -Thierry Henry-

Legend
New User

Do you take any breaks during the run? How fast should I go 80% speed? 50% speed? (100% = sprint)

ROIUSA
Veteran Member

its a lot simpler than you think. if your running 80% common sense tells you ur gunna be dead in about 2 minutes
I was raised on Celtic, their history and their pride
With my culture and my faith, I wear the green & white.

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken -Bobby Sands MP

interista

af2266 wrote:Now, Repeat all of this, but with 3 miles, pushing yourself to a quicker pace half of it, then going the extra mile. If you do this right, over time 6 miles will be a breeze. Take it from me, so far every morning over my summer vacation I've ran 9 miles. I'm still trying to add onto this.
whoa 9 miles that's a lot. my dad (he got 2nd in stated twice) makes me do 6 but pushing myself the whole way. above that he says u may be hurt easily. i could probaly do 9 tho 8)
Thanks jthursto for the sig

af2266

Legend wrote:Do you take any breaks during the run? How fast should I go 80% speed? 50% speed? (100% = sprint)
How fast you go at 80% speed and 50% speed is all up to how much you can go to. Take breaks, like I said, if it can be to much to run to, then a break is just good.
interista wrote:
whoa 9 miles that's a lot. my dad (he got 2nd in stated twice) makes me do 6 but pushing myself the whole way. above that he says u may be hurt easily. i could probaly do 9 tho
Heh its not that hard, I mean for me its a breeze, but ive been doing running for a long time(to think, I used to think I would never come close to running 4 miles...). Its all how much you can push yourself. My dads likea running nut, hes been running his whole life and sometimes before his work he'll jog 12 miles.
some guy yelled at me...

soccerchild27

I run 1.5 miles every mon-thurs with my team and i was wondering if i should run a 3 mile in the morning on top of the 1.5 mile which is at 6. Or should i do the 3 mile on the days i don't have training like the weekends or something. I have jogged a three mile before and got 24:24 which is like 8 min a mile i have noticed that my endurance has gone up a lot but i want to make all 90 game min

Also can a fartlek be done in a long distance run. I'm not really sure what a fartlek is but i can find out. And for all us Yanks could you guys also you yards and miles thanks. :D
Image Credit to stephez

"Train and never stop dreaming.If you have a dream, you must give EVERYTHING for it."-Ronaldinho

af2266

soccerchild27 wrote:I run 1.5 miles every mon-thurs with my team and i was wondering if i should run a 3 mile in the morning on top of the 1.5 mile which is at 6. Or should i do the 3 mile on the days i don't have training like the weekends or something. I have jogged a three mile before and got 24:24 which is like 8 min a mile i have noticed that my endurance has gone up a lot but i want to make all 90 game min
Well, if you can do the total of 4.5 miles in one day and still be good for your soccer practice I'd go for it. But theres even days where I cant run miles in the morning and go to practice later on in the day.
soccerchild27 wrote:Also can a fartlek be done in a long distance run. I'm not really sure what a fartlek is but i can find out. And for all us Yanks could you guys also you yards and miles thanks. :D
I don't know if its called a fartlek when you do it like this, but what you do is go on like a 2 mile run (or however many miles you want) and run for mabye 23 seconds and sprint 7 seconds, and do this until you finish your run(it, again depends on how fit you are, some could probably do 20 seconds and 10 second sprint forever).
some guy yelled at me...

interista

af2266 wrote:
interista wrote:
whoa 9 miles that's a lot. my dad (he got 2nd in stated twice) makes me do 6 but pushing myself the whole way. above that he says u may be hurt easily. i could probaly do 9 tho
Heh its not that hard, I mean for me its a breeze, but ive been doing running for a long time(to think, I used to think I would never come close to running 4 miles...). Its all how much you can push yourself. My dads likea running nut, hes been running his whole life and sometimes before his work he'll jog 12 miles.

yeah as i said i could probally do 9 miles i do 6 really fast, i always push myself.
Thanks jthursto for the sig

gdpwatson
New User

Ok so i'm realitively new to football and new to this forum but i can offer some advice on fitness training and running.

af2266 what you say makes alot of sense and i'll admit i've never tried that. But i will keep it in mind next time someone asks for some advice on improving mileage. I may even take a shot at it myself but it's not the technique i have used.

The best way that i have found to increase distance is to do a run 2 or 3 times a week. For a month (4 weeks) keep all your runs at the same distance (if you are starting off). Walk and run what you can and let the run take as long as it takes.

After you find yourself able to do 2 - 3 miles change your routine as follows:
Assuming you run 3 times per week and you're happy doing 2 miles:

Run #1: 2 miles - light pace
Run #2: 2 miles - harder pace
Ran #3: Increase by a 1/2 mile or a full mile - light pace (walk some bits if you need to)

Now each week gauge your fitness and your level of endurance. So if you found that the increased distance on the 3rd run was tough and you had to walk some of it then try the next week to do the same distance but to walk less and run more. However if you found the increased distance ok and could run the distance then try to beat your time.

Over the course of as many weeks as you like try and make the long run a little longer each time and increase the distance in the first 2.

i.e.
Run 1: 3 miles
Run 2: 3 miles
Run 3: 3.5/4 miles

I wouldn't say there's a set rule regarding when to run but for me i find it best to do the longer run at the weekend and the shorter runs midweek (especially if you have work) That still leaves plenty of nights for football training!

I've found that this has worked for me and i only suggest it as an alternative to what af2266 posted. Everybody is different and will react differently to various traning routines and drills. See what works for you and go with it!

Good luck with whatever you try and remember what af2266 said about pushing yourself, as well as taking on plenty of fluids.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Good topic, just make sure you also do sprints if you are jogging so much. Keep this topic that I made in mind:

viewtopic.php?t=6374

Kaka's_got_skillz
Sophomore Member

Simple but effective topic, IMO. I tend to increase my pace after doing it for a while and to run in an open space (as in anywhere I want, not in a specific area). The reason for this is because when you're in an open space (ex. a field), you tend to exhaust yourself mentally more easily thinking about when u reach the next lap or reach the next goal post, etc. and you're struggling to get there, while when you run wherever you want, you get the distance and you feel like you're counting how long you can run, not how many laps/segments you do. Kinda vague explanation but u get my point.

Falcao

:wink: