Should I start working out my abs at 12 years old?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
CrisRonaldo
New User

Should I start working out my abs at 12 years old?

Post by CrisRonaldo »

Guyz, im 12, i seriously dont' know whether i shud start doing abs training becoz my friends and all say its not good for me and may affect my growth.
Can you please tell me your views? Thanks for all you say@ :wink:
Nothing is Imposible
bleedblue115

Post by bleedblue115 »

I don't think it will affect your growth. I would start doing crunches and all that good stuff. I wouldn't add weights yet.
stevengerrard8

Post by stevengerrard8 »

Guys i had a question but since its a little like this one i'll ask here..

Im 14 Year Old and i was wondering if i should lift weights (Dumbbells) yet... if not at what age should I?
Ronaldinho10

Re: Should I?

Post by Ronaldinho10 »

CrisRonaldo wrote:Guyz, im 12, i seriously dont' know whether i shud start doing abs training becoz my friends and all say its not good for me and may affect my growth.
Can you please tell me your views? Thanks for all you say@ :wink:
Your way too young to start doing abs work man. You should start abs work when your like 14/15/16 depending on your physical maturity. Don't do weoghts either , at your age it will stunt your growth.

If you want my advice , your at the age where all you should be doing is going out and playing footballl , practicing your technique , skills etc. Fitness at your age should not be a concern. Get out there and practcice with the football :D
ShevaSpeed
New User

Post by ShevaSpeed »

Yo... um... not to be a douche or anything ronaldinho, but you're very wrong.

At your age CrisRonaldo, you should defnitely do ab work, pushups, and sit ups. There is no way, and I mean absolutely no way, that they can affect your growth at all. They will contribute to your overall core strength, balance, and can only make you better.

Weight training can only stunt your growth if your stupid and try to show off in front of your friends while doing a lot of weight, which can damage the growth plates of your bones. You can even do some light dumbwell work to increase your muscle tone.

By doing exercises that use your body weight, you can't hurt yourself, but only help yourself. They will also prepare your body for weightlifting, which is started around the 14-17 year group.

Good luck!
Play with your heart.
RonaldinhoSkills

Post by RonaldinhoSkills »

Yea but the smaller you are the better the Trick Skills you could do...
Remember... Never do a skill twice, always be creative, after that, you'll own.
Ronaldinho10

Post by Ronaldinho10 »

ShevaSpeed wrote:Yo... um... not to be a douche or anything ronaldinho, but you're very wrong.

At your age CrisRonaldo, you should defnitely do ab work, pushups, and sit ups. There is no way, and I mean absolutely no way, that they can affect your growth at all. They will contribute to your overall core strength, balance, and can only make you better.

Weight training can only stunt your growth if your stupid and try to show off in front of your friends while doing a lot of weight, which can damage the growth plates of your bones. You can even do some light dumbwell work to increase your muscle tone.

By doing exercises that use your body weight, you can't hurt yourself, but only help yourself. They will also prepare your body for weightlifting, which is started around the 14-17 year group.

Good luck!
OK , I hear what your saying.
But fom what I've heard/been told and in my opinion 12 years old is too young to be doing any kind of exercise aimed at increasing muscle size at this age won't be effective. Think about it , loads of kids are out there running about , cycling doing loads of exercise etc. but they don't have massive quads. Simply because there muscles haven't started to develop yet and therefore won't grow.

Besides , why would a 12 year old want a 6 pack??
Star

Post by Star »

I agree with ShevaSpeed...

My 10 year old brother can do 100 situps, and hes been training since he was 8, It hasnt damaged him, as its natural and his own bodyweight.
karlofootball10
Veteran Member

Post by karlofootball10 »

do sit ups, pushups, pullups, all of that stuff, its all good for you, plus you might even get 7th grade girl s to look at you :lol: , but dont lift weights or bodybuild, thats when problems start to come along, plus, it doesnt give you a very natural look.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?
gamecockfreak
Sophomore Member

Post by gamecockfreak »

I am 13 and am working my abs by doing alot of sit ups and they are working great. i am seeing great improvements on my abs