Strength, height and power

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
dooglas
Veteran Member

Post by dooglas » 22 Apr 2005, 18:49

RUUD has a great touch actually, vieri isnt even that good...
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 23 Apr 2005, 14:20

jcdenton : Do you honestly elieve the best goalmouth poacher (I'd see this as pretty indisputable, but anyone disagree?) in the game hasn't got good touch!?!?

dooglas
Veteran Member

Post by dooglas » 23 Apr 2005, 23:34

yea i guess sean wright phillips shouldnt be pro then. :lol:
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 26 Apr 2005, 13:23

don't tell me about van nistelrooy's touch, he is has very bad touch, but he is only good as a goalscorer. he can't play in midfield for example. but he can be a good central defender.
magicfeet, what is your problem, did your coach let you play 5 minutes this weekend? i don't have time to answer all your bad posts about me, i have a match every 2-3 days. if i were you i would rather stop bothering my fingers loosing strength needed to play as an attacker! and i told you that i have played against finest defenders in my country (i have to tell you that my country is doing fine in WC2006 quals, we haven't conceded a single goal, and we are 1st in group with spain, belgium...) and that strength is the safest way to transfer you and the ball behind the defenders back. i gave these guys a lession of good strength battle in football. that is the importance of strength! have you seen gatusso playing (even though he is not attacker he uses only strength and hard-work)? don't tell me anything about his touch!

Wiseman_philosopher

Post by Wiseman_philosopher » 26 Apr 2005, 14:50

I agree 110%. And yes, no offence magicfeet, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and from what I've seen, your questioning every1's opinion and it's a bit annoying, "Do you actually think that? DId u actually say that? Do u honestly believe? Do you really think," etc. jst keep ur good contributions in :wink:
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

dooglas
Veteran Member

Post by dooglas » 26 Apr 2005, 20:55

ruud, is not strong at all really, ive seen him get knocked around so much, henry is not strong either, sean wright phillips is not strong either, owen is not strong either, these amazing strikers rely on speed and touch, you dont hear about just strikers with pure strength, cuz they probably are horrible...

the only one off hand i can think of is rooney, but you have ot have good touch to be a good striker, the ball comes to you and you have to position the ball with one touch to get a good striker off..otherwise you will die out there.

who would you rather be?

Rosario

Post by Rosario » 30 Apr 2005, 14:03

i diagree , henry is very strong.i agree that he doesn't look it but he is deceptive.and ruud is great at holding it up.a strong man he certainly is.and what does it matter that he couldn't play midfield.could romario play centre back.certainly not.ruud is a finisher.i don't care if it goes in off his ass.they all count 1.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 01 May 2005, 18:35

Of course everybody is entitled to their own opininon, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I suppose I have questioned quite a few posts, but that is largely because they are ones that I see as being odd.
If people want to back up their judgements with a bit more explanation, then that's fine - I'll take another look at what they say, and maybe I'll change my mind.

But I truly don't believe Van Nistelrooy has a bad touch. It may not be one of the best in the world, but it certainly isn't poor. And I realise I question jcdenton's posts more than most... I'd guess that comes from his attitude to some of these discussions.

I just disagree with a lot of his comments. Van Nistelrooy at centre back?!?! I couldn't say either way about your ability as a player - If your playing against the best defenders in your country (Don't you play left back though?) then you must be damn good... but I find you say just how good you are a bit too much. You've got the best throw in your country, the best this, the best that etc...

Strength is a very important attribute in football, but I wouldn't place it above first touch. Typing doesn't use a terrific amount of my strength up... I've never managed to ease a defender of the ball with my... um... fingers.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 01 May 2005, 20:47

Oh, and attackers don't need great strength in the slightest. As people have already stated, are players like Owen, Wright-Phillips or even Ronaldinho particularly strong? Not in my opinion (though I coulldn't be certain with our Brazilian friend).

They don't use strength to beat defenders, but use control, pace, quick feet and determination. Oh, and Ronaldinho uses the odd elastico, of course! :D

As I say, strength is an important part of your game, but if you are quick enough, skillful enough, and aware enough (as in playing cleverly off the ball, and knowing when player is near you) then you will hardly ever have to use it. You WILL have to use it at some point... but it's hardly vital.

Rooney is damn strong, but he's got a bit of pace and pretty quick feet too. Oh, and one helluva' strike!

P.S - Serbia are a good team... I never said they weren't.

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 02 May 2005, 18:29

ok magicfeet, i am sorry if i insulted you with my posts, i didn't mean to!
i told you somewhere, i think, that i've played striker a year ago, but since last autumn i play as CB and LB (LWB also), because our defence sucked! so one of the last matches as a striker was against some team that hosted tournaments for young players where came youth players from milan, psv, lazio, barcelona...... that is the police club, so they have great facilities because policemen also excercise there! and the central back that should mark me was captain of our national youth team, i didn't know that so i gave him a hard time, my friend that just came from that club told me after the match that it was captain of youth squad of Serbia and Montenegro(i accept only the name Serbia!!!)!
and i only mentioned strength, power and throw ins as absolutely the best abilities! i have never seen anyone with these 3 better abilities than me (my age or 1 age older)! and i played against all major teams in serbia so i know that!

Rosario

Post by Rosario » 03 May 2005, 18:45

ronaldinho is really really strong.he is a tank.he is powerful.i am positive about it.next time he takes off his shirt after a goal notice his muscles are huge and his legs are pure muscle.he is so skilful you don't notice it.

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 03 May 2005, 19:42

Rosario wrote:ronaldinho is really really strong.he is a tank.he is powerful.i am positive about it.next time he takes off his shirt after a goal notice his muscles are huge and his legs are pure muscle.he is so skilful you don't notice it.
I remember that he used to be skinny when he started out with Brazil. Now he is quicker and more built. But don't be fooled by physical appearance alone. Claude Makelele, for example, is relatively short with average physique, yet he almost never loses a 50/50 battle.

JasperJock
New User

Post by JasperJock » 03 May 2005, 23:48

Strength is necessary for all positions, but making it a priority is not to that level for an attacker. Speed and handling is the priority since they will be moving constantly and toying the defense in order to score.

Even College soccer teams do not have strong players in any position, everyone is pretty much cut w/ little mass and possess some strength.

If I manage to develop my ball and goalie skills good enough to get into the Club or Division team in my college as goalie, I'd be the "Largest" member of the team (Guess thats what I get for working out everyday possible).

*yung-ital*
Pending Mod

Post by *yung-ital* » 06 May 2005, 04:35

see this is where we have it all wrong...most tall players are clumsy...for everyone who is short dont even worry about it. where is the ball? its on the ground..whos closer to the ground? short people are.. way better control.. and most tall players are skinny so their body is usally long and then they dont have much balance. im not directing this to all tall players, but im saying most players i know
KevinR9 Thanks Bruvva

Ronaldinho10

Post by Ronaldinho10 » 06 May 2005, 21:17

Rosario is right Ronaldinho is unbeliveably strong on the ball. Have any of u seen the clip of him doing keepy uppys over the two defenders and having to use his upper body strength to hold them off at the same time :D
Without doubt.
Credit AC _Milan>* for the sig.