Strength, height and power

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Star

Strength, height and power

Post by Star » 31 Mar 2005, 09:25

Hi... I am currently playing in the Santos Youth Team (U17) and I am encountering a few problems....

I play with one of my good american friends, and he is about 6,1 about 14 stone and strong as an ox.... we play very well together and are very creative and strong dribblers.

I am about 5,9 about 10 stone and fairly strong.... however physically I cant really compete with the bigger american player, however I am faster and probably have the edge in control on him.

I wa wondering if anyone had any tips as to what to when I face him, i.e. sheilding tips, or ways of a smaller player holding his own against a bigger player?

Thanks Very Much....

Post by Guest » 31 Mar 2005, 18:03

I'm having the same problem as you man, I am only 5'7'' and everyone else on the field is like 5'11" through 6'3"

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Post by FCBarcelona » 31 Mar 2005, 21:22

I am 6'3 and growing. 8)

You can only hold you own, like you said, you are better at certain things and try to make him defend your strengths and not use his strengths. You just need to push with him, many smaller people are too scared to push the bigger person, if you do it will make him hesitate.
FORÇA BARÇA!

"I’m a player who can do absolutely anything if I am smiling and laughing. If I’m not happy, then everything becomes more of a struggle,” explained Adriano.

Post by Guest » 01 Apr 2005, 04:36

ok height is just overrated in football some of the worlds best football players are under 5,10"

pele 5,7"
maradona 5,8"
luis figo 5.9"

there are lots of great players today that are under the 5,10" barrier

scholes 5,7"
rooney 5,8"

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Post by FCBarcelona » 01 Apr 2005, 04:45

It helps, can't argue that, none of those guys were a force in the air.
FORÇA BARÇA!

"I’m a player who can do absolutely anything if I am smiling and laughing. If I’m not happy, then everything becomes more of a struggle,” explained Adriano.

J
Admin

Post by J » 01 Apr 2005, 17:31

i think evrything comes down to genetics and your work ethic. Being taller has its advantages and being shorter has its advanteges.

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Post by FCBarcelona » 01 Apr 2005, 20:57

Yes, I agree.
FORÇA BARÇA!

Maradona
Veteran Member

Post by Maradona » 03 Apr 2005, 14:47

I am 5ft8 but I don't think the real Maradona was, he seemed much smaller.
Diego looks like more of a 5ft 4" or 5" kind of guy.
The rules of soccer are very simple, basically it is this: if it moves, kick it. If it doesn’t move, kick it until it does.

madridfc
Veteran Member

Post by madridfc » 03 Apr 2005, 15:46

take your opponents by surprise. often people aren't pushing you or whatever with all their strength. its almost just a matter of being agressive, so even if your small, be tough, low to the ground, and stay on your feet whenever possible.

i was trying out for this team once and there was this one player who was really short, and slight as well, but they could push me around sometimes because they were extremely agressive and i was a bit more relaxed. I was really taken aback when someone that small was using their body so much and winning 1v1 battles, even though i was the bigger stronger person. i hope this helps and good luck!
olé

"I wouldn't say i was the best manager in the business, i was in the top one."

Kevin

Post by Kevin » 04 Apr 2005, 13:15

Anonymous wrote:ok height is just overrated in football some of the worlds best football players are under 5,10"

pele 5,7"
maradona 5,8"
luis figo 5.9"

there are lots of great players today that are under the 5,10" barrier

scholes 5,7"
rooney 5,8"
Lol yeah years ago you had more little players then now because simply overall people were more little. Also the gameplay wasn't that hard (do you remember the dribbles of maradonna when he crosses almost half of a field ? In this time you will rarely see this as now this player will more likely be tackled in any way). Ofcourse you always have a few little players who do get pro but not that much anymore + they will also need to have more skills. Anyway I think future football will be like a team like Arsenal (all big players and very techincall + complete) ...

jordanbajema
New User

Post by jordanbajema » 09 Apr 2005, 15:18

I'm 6'3" ad getting bigger.....but it seems that i get alot more fouls called on me cuz i am larger than evry other kid out there (except some of the goalies) so do you think this is biased or just bad luck

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 09 Apr 2005, 19:20

Im 5'10, which is kinda tall, considering the little people I plat against. I'm usually younger then most of them because they're all 15 and i'm only 14. They're all so small that when i try to tackle them they fall hard. I think most are just diving, but what can you do. I do think ref are biased, cuz most of the refs are shorter then us and they see a big intimidating person "shove" a little kid out of the way, they feel that it's an unfair advantage for us, which i think is unfair, because in my experiences, the little people get away with more then the taller ones.

Rosario

Post by Rosario » 10 Apr 2005, 00:58

you have to win the ball first.im 5'10 and 16.i was this height since i was 14 and had frees against me.the important thing is to be overly aggressive to intimadate smaller players.if you miss the first challenge they'll thing they can take you.but get the ball and leave your foot in and they'll think twice.but practise your skills cos you'll need it when at senior level you don't have a physical edge any more.just get the ball first and don't stop yourself.it will help you.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 11 Apr 2005, 09:22

5'10 and tackling smaller guys has never been a problem for me.

Smaller guys out there, dribble more and try to beat the taller ones with speed.

Taller guys who have been getting fouls. Try to get minimal contact on the smaller players when tackling (if possible, but it is!). U should show the refs that Ur legs are going for the ball. If still the refs insist those are fouls, then, U might as well play Ur own game.

Some refs can't sort the various types of tackles and fouls. Most refs I played with are quite fair.

Star

Post by Star » 12 Apr 2005, 16:49

Is 5'9 Short for a fourteen year old though? Maybe I'll grow. What do you think?