High School Tryouts

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Bn2123
New User

Right now im still undecided at wat sport i want to do in high school for the fall season(we can only do 1 sport during the 3 sport seasons) its between football and soccer. Im 50-50 on wat one i want to play. For both sports though you have to have good endurance. Im extremely fast and strong but i dont have the endurance. I run like around a 7 min. mile. To make the soccer team you have to run 2 miles in less then 13 min. If you dont run it in that time you can run a 3 mile and if its under like 6:50 or 6:40 you make it. I have the whole summer to train and im not sure how many miles i should run a day or every other day,etc. and most importantly after how long of time should i shave of seconds like for example every 2 weeks i should drop like 5-10 secs off my mile . If someone could like tell me how many miles i should run like a week and on wat days i should run it will be a gigantic help

Enjoythis469
Sophomore Member

First it sounds like you should choose a sport.....and make sure you're solid about it... Nowww...lets say you did pick soccer....you have a pretty good amount of time to get some good work done for your body...first start off with longer, slower runs to get your aroebic system working (eg.. 3 miles in 30 min) for about the first 5-10 days...once you get the hang of this and can do this easilly...start cracking down a bit and get harsher...( eg.. 3 miles in 23-35 min..-maybe for2-3 days, or so) this should give you a nice aerobic foundation. Now for another week straight shoot for 3 miles in a surefire 23 min or under..meaning consistent and not too dead at the end. after this you should start doing some jog/stride/sprint exercises (eg.. jog the lengthes of the soccer field..stride the widths..) and you can change it up like that for about another week-week and a half..until you can successfully sprint the whole field take a 1 min break, and do it again, 5 times in a row. Once you can do this...start some fartlek and agility/jumprope programs that will work on anerobic system. (eg. ladders/agility drills/plyometrics. etc...) these should be done for about a week and a half.... at the end of all this... you want to be able to complete the cooper test...not sure of the length...but its something like 12 laps around a U-13 sized field in about 14 min. That is the ultimate test...good luck

Bn2123
New User

thank you for your help and im guesing when u say like a week or week and a half it means running everyday

Enjoythis469
Sophomore Member

yeah np...and well...id say run 2-3 days dpenending on how you feel..but amke sure you take a break at LEAST every 3 days

ROIUSA
Veteran Member

alright going into freshman year, its drastically important to make the team, so that your chances increase for the following seasons. so for me, it took me about 2 and a half month to be able to run 2 miles in 11:07 which was my best time.

conditioning is something that right now im lacking, but ive trained expertly in. if u have a track that u know the measurment of then these will work well if u do them with great effort.

1) jog a mile for warm up.
2) run 3 miles non stop under 25 mins. cut 15-30 seconds every two days.
3) do about 15 200 meter runs in about 45 seconds for ur first, down to roughly 30 on ur last, these are wicked hard, but are great to help u maintain good pace.
4) something to do 3 days a week, find a short, but steep hill run to the top and down 3-5 times under 45 seconds, getting faster each time.
5) end each workout with a 2 mile jog again.
I was raised on Celtic, their history and their pride
With my culture and my faith, I wear the green & white.

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken -Bobby Sands MP