How come bench pressing doesnt feel like it working my chest

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
soccerjunkie

How come bench pressing doesnt feel like it working my chest

Post by soccerjunkie » 26 Apr 2006, 05:10

how come when i do bench presses, i dont feel it in my chest, i just feel it in my arms.

im pretty sure im using good form....

vcssoccer_01

Post by vcssoccer_01 » 26 Apr 2006, 05:51

when you do bench press, you want to focus on squeezing your pecs, and tightening them as the bar comes up. if you just push, you will only feel it in your arms. you have to rely on your chest contracting to raise the bar. you know when you flex your chest if some girl touches it so then she says "oh my, mr. soccer player man, i want you to have my virginity." you need to do the same thing when you are lifting the bar. if you have to, go to a lower weight, but do a bunch of reps. for example, if you are doing 100 lbs. at 15 reps, but your not feeling it in your chest, try doing 85 or 90 lbs. and doing 20 or 25 reps. see if that helps

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 27 Apr 2006, 21:37

You must be doing the bench press right if you feel it in your arms more than your chest. Most big benchers bring their elbows in and use their triceps and shoulders as well as pecs. If you put your elbows straight out with a wide grip, you will feel your pecs working harder, although you probably won't be as strong. Bodybuilders who are more concerned with appearance instead of actual strength usually bench that way.

Just keep benching using your arms. As they get stronger, your chest will have to keep up.

vcssoccer_01

Post by vcssoccer_01 » 18 May 2006, 05:07

another thing that might help if you want to build your pecs up is to do several different chest exercises. do inclined bench, declined becnh, regular bench, and butterflys. these work all the layers of your chest and will shape them more